7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2014 9:26 AM by A.T. Romano

insufficient privileges

malcolml

Hi

I created a DVD of some old video 8 movies and hoped to import them into Elements to edit and recreate new DVDs.

The DVD has four .VOB files and the destination directory has Read & Write access, but I get the message:

"The user do (sic) not have suffiicient privs to write the files in the destination folder or the folder is read-only"

Help appreciated...

Malcolml

• 1. Re: insufficient privileges
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

You MUST use an account with Administrator Privileges to run Premiere Elements

(Doing Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors)

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: insufficient privileges
            malcolml Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running Premiere Elements version 9.0.1

The operating system is OS X Version 10.9.4

This is the first time I've tried this.

I transferred the 8mm videos onto CD using a Sony Video 8 Handycam and a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES10. The CD has the folder VIDEO_TS with the following files in it:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

The CD plays back fine on my iMAC, TV.

I want to use PE to edit and precis the videos.

When I click on Get Media - either using  "DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive" or "File and Folders" options, it takes me to "Video Importer" which shows icons for the four VOB files ticked.

I start the copy, it comes up with a Copying Files pop up showing 37% complete and then the message "The user do not have sufficient privileges to write in the destination folder of the folder is read-only."

...and that's as far as it gets.

When I check the destination folder the only file that's there is the VIDEO_TS.VOB

I'm logged in as Admin, have plenty of disk space, and the destination folder has Read & Write Access.

Thanks for your hep

• 3. Re: insufficient privileges
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm on Windows, but have some saved links that MAY help... not specific to P-Elements, but the IDEAS may help

next link says After Effects, but check YOUR permissions !!!

-http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/permissions-mac-os-start-adobe-applications.ht ml

-Mac 10.9.4 and OpenCL issue https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1514717

-Mac 10.9.3 workaround https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1489922

-more Mac 10.9.3 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1491469

-and https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1507936

• 4. Re: insufficient privileges
                malcolml Level 1

Hi again

Appreciate the help and the links.

I think I'm not going to win this one, and I now don't think it's actually a PE problem.

I tried doing a straight file copy (not using PE) of the VOB files it won't let (except for the VIDEO_TS.VOB file).

It's like the file system doesn't recognise the other VOB files that make up the video.

Maybe I'll try some basic editing as I'm recording the CD from the Handycam (flicking the record button on and off on the DVD recorder)!

Thanks again

• 5. Re: insufficient privileges
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

malcolml

Do not give up just yet.

What are the exact names of the 4 files that end up displaying in the Video Importer as thumbnails.

What is the Save In location in the Video Importer dialog and how much free space is at that Save In location?

The next part of this reply is for after you answer the above two questions.

Have you tried the following....

1. Insert your DVD disc in the DVD/CD burner tray.

2. Go to Computer Drives, right click the DVD/CD burner drive, select Open.

3. You should see a VIDEO_TS Folder. Right click it and select Copy.

4. Paste the VIDEO_TS Folder to your computer desktop.

5. Right click the VIDEO_TS Folder and select Open. Then copy ONLY the video file(s) in the VIDEO_TS Folder. They should start with

VTS_01_1.VOB and may have more in the series, depending on how much DVD-VIDEO is on the DVD disc. Focus on the one for now.

6.Paste the VTS_01_1.VOB to the computer desktop. Then open Premiere Elements and use its Get Media/Files and Folders to import that file into the project which is set up for PAL DV Standard or Widescreen or the NTSC counterparts.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On: I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so you will need to translate my Premiere Elements 12 Windows details into Mac.

• 6. Re: insufficient privileges
                    malcolml Level 1

ATR

Thanks for the post. The CD has the folder VIDEO_TS with the following files in it:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

The destination folder is on one of my hard drives which has 200GB available, so pleanty of space and the correct permissions.

I did try to do the copy as mentioned but I get the error message:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “VTS_01_1.VOB” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)

(Finder is the MAC equivalent of Explorer on Windows). I'm going to try and google that error code to get more information.

Appreciate the help.

Malcolm

• 7. Re: insufficient privileges
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

malcolm

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like you are not the first Mac user to run into this issue.

I just started my day with some Google searches on this and found as first one....

DVD's not being copied on to HD's Error Code 36 | Apple Support Communities

This looks like a Mac issue whose core does not reside in one Mac operating system or in any particular software.

This error 36 seems to be looked at as a sort of generic error code.

Please let us know how you do with your searches on this. I will do some more Google searches too.

Thanks.

ATR