3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 12:43 PM by D Fosse

Color range selection preview

stephAustin

I'm at a new job with a new iMac (Mavericks 10.9.4) and CC. I like using the "color range" selection tool in Photoshop, but I cannot figure out how to make the selected area just show as a marquee area - I don't want it to show as White Matte/Black Matte, etc. - JUST as a marqueed area, with my 4c image still visible. Ideas?

• 1. Re: Color range selection preview
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just have to ask - why?

Once you commit by pressing OK you get your marquee. But the purpose of the selection preview is to show you precisely what will be selected, and a marquee doesn't do that. It would defeat the whole purpose of a preview. This would be easier to answer if we knew what you're trying to do.

• 2. Re: Color range selection preview
            stephAustin Level 1

It's just "what I'm used to" looking at - maybe I can get used to the new options, just wondered how to get the marquee only. And really, with the grayscale/matte options, it seems a bit harder to detect if I have "stray" pixels selected - the preview is so small. Am I missing something?

• 3. Re: Color range selection preview
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you're used to is always a factor, granted. I always use Color Range as a mask, and then view the mask (alt-click) to manually clean up with brushes afterwards.

Anyway you can always use the lasso to catch stray pixels. But it's not entirely reliable, because pixels at less than 50% opacity will still go below the radar.