7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 4:17 PM by smoothsea

Indesign not showing files to import or place.

Steve Kelly Level 1

Ive been having a persistent niggle with inDesign over the past four weeks.

If, for example I make a pdf or create a new image file, create a text doc etc. When I go to indesign to import or place any of these files, they are not showing up in the folder/do not exist according to inDesign.

Anyone else getting this, it can take hours before they appear.

• 1. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
          retaipkg

I am having this exact problem right now and can't find any solution to it. It's so frustrating!!!

Help!

• 2. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried doing a search in your operating system? What OS are you running? What version of InDesign?

• 3. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
              retaipkg Level 1

Hi S,

Thanks for helping! I am running OS X Yosemite, Version 10.10.2.

Using inDesign CC 2014

This started happening a couple days ago. I haven't changed anything on my computer. If I created a file before this glitch started happening, I can see that file when I browse in the inDesign finder dialogue to place it into my file.

If I made this file in Illustrator or inDesign since this glitch started happening, or if I edited it since then, the file either does not appear in my inDesign dialogue window or if it does, it is NOT the edited version, it's the version from before this glitch.

It's driving me insane. I can't place half the stuff I'm doing for my files. I can see the new or newly edited files in my OS Finder Window and it shows they are uploaded to my CC account. When I view the files online, I can see them in the CC account.

I trashed my preferences the other day, since this started, have run CleanMyMac2 and MacScan. I don't know what else to do.

• 4. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
                smoothsea Level 3

Hi,

I can understand that this is driving you crazy. I don't have a full solution to your problem, but in the meantime you could place the files you need by dragging them from a finder window directly onto your page. Doing it this way doesn't embed the object - so it'll still be linked, and you'll be able to get stuff done while the cleverer dudes on the forum help you figure out the wider problem.

Regards,

Malcolm

• 5. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
                  retaipkg Level 1

I think I figured it out. There was another CC library created, somehow, called Creative Cloud Files (unknown). So I have 2 Creative Cloud folders:

Creative Cloud Files

Creative Cloud Files (unkown)

The newer files were saving to the unknown folder. No idea how it got there or why it's there. I'm completely confused on how it happened, but I think this is the problem.

• 6. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
                    retaipkg Level 1

This was my workaround for awhile. But I couldn't do that if I had a multipage document I wanted to place into my file. See my above post for what I think happened.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Indesign not showing files to import or place.
                      smoothsea Level 3

Great work for getting it sorted out :-)

You should be able to place a multi-page document this way though - when you release the mouse on your page, the cursor turns into the normal place gun and you can hold down shift to place on multiple pages.

Regards,

Malcolm