11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 1:48 PM by BernardDigital

Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?

BernardDigital Level 2

Man oh man adobe... what is going on over there?

Is this an error with the creative cloud app or is there a new version of 2014 and I need to un-install the old 2014 and then install the new 2014?

• 1. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
          Preran Adobe Employee

Hi BernardDigital,

You can install Edge Animate CC 2014 alongside your previous version.

Thanks,

Preran

• 2. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
            BernardDigital Level 2

Ok I just give up on this now.... Now my creative cloud app says edge 2014 is not installed at all when it clearly is... No idea why every other app works perfect except this one....

• 3. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
              Preran Adobe Employee

Just to be sure, did you go to Help > About and check the version? Can you try uninstalling the previous version and let us know what happens?

Thanks,

Preran

• 4. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
                BernardDigital Level 2

Yes I can do all those things... But the whole point of there creative cloud is that I am not supposed to have to be bogged down with versioning and other stupid admin stuff from the past... I was going to finally be able to just get to work... You have utterly failed on this with the 2014 creative cloud update... I mean its not like it was sorta of ok... It was a complete failure with everyone having duplicate apps and just craziness... Now you say you did this so people would have access to the new features but could use the old apps for plugins... Well what about the people with hundreds of plugins that would wait to update until its supported? That way I don't have to go through all the plugin re-install and re-set all my prefs... You are causing more work for me now adobe and I want money back for time I have spent managing your apps...

• 5. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
                  heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

You are complaining because you had to install a new version? I was delighted, and I think tons of others were as well because if you have followed any of these threads over the years a big request for users was to have access to 'separate versions' before being forced into an 'update'. Doesn't this option make better sense? After a little while when you have become familiar with the new updated version, you can choose to uninstall the previous one.

Darrell

• 6. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
                    BernardDigital Level 2

Yes I can see that... But both versions are called 2014... Thats my gripe... make the naming make perfect sense as to not confuse people to know if they have the correct version... or just have one version that gets updated constantly... (the one version with constant updates was what was promised from CC) But your telling me that you really run two versions of edge? or AE or any other apps? Back in the day when I was moving from CS5 to CS6 I had to have both versions installed... It was honestly the biggest nightmare... Yes I had the plugins but I was saving and rendering stuff out just so I could open it in the other program then save and go back... It works better for me to just wait till there is support and then update... That way your not always accidentally launching the wrong version or having to version our your files... But this is me and how I want to work... And if you want to work the other way that is great to... The point is to be happy when you are working so its not so much work and more fun... But common man its adobe a software company... They can't figure this out? How about you click update and then a dialog comes up... Would you like to update to the new version or install the new version along side the old version... This is seriously just very complicated files in very complicated folders structures... They can make installers that would take care of all this and make the customer experience much better for both parties...

Because I am not sure I could have a bug... I have Edge CC 2014 installed on my comp... But under my creative cloud app it shows that its not even installed... On a side note... I also do not have Premiere Pro CC installed anymore... Its now 2014 but the creative cloud app shows that CC and 2014 are installed... So back to my whole point about this... Its so annoying... What is what and which is which and why does the app seem to be wrong even when I quite and re-launch and even restart my comp? It can't see what installed and whats not? I am trying to call out adobe project managers for bumbling this up...

p.s. you were never forced to update... Thats what i never understood about everyone complaining on the forums about that... Its like the update button was just so tantalizing and they had to touch it...

• 7. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?

No, in my case, after about a week or so I uninstalled all prior versions once I became familiar with the new features of the newer version. I had no reason to keep older versions installed. I no longer have any trace of CC applications on my machine, just the CC 2014 versions.Even when they co-existed it was merely a difference between spotting CC vs CC 2014 shortcuts, so ultmately it was not much of a deal breaker.

It is unfortunate that your CC app does not show the latest as installed, even though it is, and I hope there is a resolution for this, in this case. I will certainly have a look around to see if there is something posted elsewhere.

Darrell

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?

Regarding the Cloud app showing installs incorrectly, have a look at this troubleshoot document

CC desktop lists applications as "Up to Date" when not installed

Particularly Solution #2.

Let us know if this helps.

hth

Darrell

• 9. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?
                          BernardDigital Level 2

Did solution 2 but no luck still the same thing...

Maybe we are getting a bit confused... I have edge 2014 installed and working on my computer... But the creative cloud says that it is not installed... I did the updates from CC to 2014 a month or two ago... This thing with edge just popped up in the past week...

So edge is CC 2014 as of a month ago lets say... But a week ago (when I noticed the cloud being wrong) It looked as if I had to install a newer version of edge 2014... Is that correct? That it was not an update from 2014 to 2014 but that you needed to install a whole new version of edge because it could not be updated? So you un-installed 2014 and then installed the new 2014?

• 10. Re: Edge Animate 2014 Update - A re-install again?

Bummer - ya I suspect I am missing something throughout your descriptions.

Just to be clear, by Creative Cloud, are you referring to the website portal or the Desktop app?

Yes, as per screen shot - EA is CC 2014. You can see how my app shows items as 'Up to Date' (green arrow) adjacent to the application. Is this what you see (note as mentioned earlier I uninstalled Edge Animate CC shortly after 2014 came out).

updatecc.jpg

Can you post a screen grab of your desktop app? And the pop-up you refer to.

Darrell