2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 1:21 AM by pwillener Branched to a new discussion.

Installing flash on multiple machines without bundled software

belarm

I know the standard procedure for updating flash without installing the bundled software is to opt-out every. single. time. there's an update, but what is one to do when they are responsible for multiple windows machines - all of which require flash and none of which require some crappy trial anti-virus software or a google toolbar or whatever else you decide to bundle with flash in the future?

I'd like to make flash a well-supported part of the standard install base, but I can't do that in good conscience when the updater cannot be silently run without installing unwanted & untested 3rd party software. What's more, Flash has enough security vulnerabilities of its own without bundled external code along with it:
      Adobe Flash Player : List of security vulnerabilities

So, what am I to do? Use a 3rd-party updater? Instruct clients to wait until their favorite web pages are recoded in HTML5 before they can view them? Tell them they better never miss the opt-out button if they want support? Or should I just trust Adobe to make 100% sure that that everything they decide to bundle will be tested to work on all platforms, in all environments, and never cause an issue? (the last is obviously facetious - installing anti-virus software without permission demonstrates they have no interest in whether their software breaks existing configurations)

If I pay you money, can I get a version of the player that doesn't include 'value-added' software? Maybe what you should do is charge money for the tools people use to develop flash applications, then give the player away at a loss to give those developers a broader development base and thus make your dev tools more popular - but all that strategy ever did was make flash one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software in the world, so I can see why you ditched it.