5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 2:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Reinstall of Premiere Elements 11 Freezes

wal1

I had both Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 working on my Windows 8 machine.  I uninstalled Premiere for troubleshooting reasons.  I am trying to reinstall from disc.  The disc spins a lot, I select the Premiere button and then the installation process freezes.    wal1.

• 1. Re: Reinstall of Premiere Elements 11 Freezes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

wal1

I would suggest that you check Control Panel/Programs to assure that Premiere Elements 11 is not installed on your Windows 8 (assumed 64 bit).

Then do a run through with the free ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts). Then do the reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - Download

What were the original problems that caused you to uninstall Premiere Elements 11?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Reinstall of Premiere Elements 11 Freezes
            wal1 Level 1

Hello ATR,

I checked that the Adobe Premiere Elements was not installed.  I verified on the on the uninstall screen in control panel.  I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 and 10 installed. When I uninstalled the Adobe Premier Elements 11 I asked it to keep its settings when prompted.

I downloaded the ccleaner.  (backing up the registry settings) last night.

This am, I tried to connect to the internet to check email and such.  My cisco Linksys E420 wifi router stopped talking to my cable providers Motorola Surfboard modem.  Only the top four green lights were on and the yellow blinking PC/activity light failed to light.   Cisco AnyConnect says it can't do anything because there is no internet connection.  I connected  my laptop via Ethernet cable to the cable modem, bypassing the router to get web and email connectivity.

My priority now is to restore function with my wifi service to the household.

The reason that I was troubleshooting and uninstalled the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 was that I have Pixela ImageMixer SE 3 that came bundled with my Canon Vixia HF20 and was trying to restore functionality to the Pixela video library and video editor.  I like the way that it renames sequential .mts files to the format (folder=YYYYMMDD and contained within is the YYYYMMDDTTTTSS.mts) format,  it makes it easier to find files manually through File Explorer.  The Pixela SW was locking up after reinstalling it and gave a window  that said updating files then froze.  The SW is light and simple and provided an alternative to the heavier Premiere.  Pixela Support suggested a SW conflict with another CODEC and suggested uninstalling the Premiere Elements to see if that worked and then reinstalling the Premier Elements from disc. No guarantees that it would work correctly with Windows 8 though.  Premiere Elements then failed to reinstall.

I may be on and off the air until the wifi is working properly.

How do I revert to the old registry settings.  Or, am I better off trying to get the CiscoConnect going by its smart key or other settings.

wal1

• 3. Re: Reinstall of Premiere Elements 11 Freezes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

wal1

Thanks for the update on your situation.

Did you create a backup of the registry settings before this? I looked online and Cisco Linksys has a web site with a Chat resource.  You will get the best advice of their product from them. My computer system uses a Westell.

E4200 Support | Maximum Performance Dual Band Router

The integrity of your Internet connect may very well be involved in your overall issues. Premiere Elements needs an Internet connection to activate the program and often afterward certain processes in the opened project (the latter are usually on a one time basis). You wrote

I connected  my laptop via Ethernet cable to the cable modem, bypassing the router to get web and email connectivity.

Can you use that setup from which to install Premiere Elements?

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: Reinstall of Premiere Elements 11 Freezes
                wal1 Level 1

,ATR, I managed to get the wifi router up and running again.  Turned off and unplugged cable modem and wifi router.  On restarting/plugging in cable modem, wifi router, laptop everything came up correctly. 

Yes I kept a copy of the registry before running the ccleaner.

Ran the Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 & Adobe Premiere Elements 11 - Windows disc for installation.   The DVD drive chugged for a longtime, I selected just the Elements install and was successful.  It took longer than I remember (about 50 minutes in total), but then again I left for a few minutes because I was tired of hearing the DVD drive making noise.  The length of time it took surprised me since it is a fast HP machine, i7 with 16GB RAM. 

The Organizer seems to have forgotten where some files are and goes searching for them.  It is finding the files saved on the hard drive under the Pixela software, but it doesn't seem to realize that the Canon Vixia camcorder G:\ is not connected and shows the picture and tries to find it. 

On reflection, I'm not sure if the registry clean up did the trick or whether I needed more patience in just letting the disc and installation take its time.  In any case it seems to be working now.  Thank you for your help. wal1

• 5. Re: Reinstall of Premiere Elements 11 Freezes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

wal1

Many thanks for the follow up great news of successful Premiere Elements installation.

Great job of stick-to-it-tiveness and sorting out the troubleshooting details.

Media reconnects can be particularly troublesome. If the media still exist, you should be able to make the media Elements Organizer and/or media Premiere Elements project reconnect, targeting exact file being asked for by the program. It can be time consuming.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Best wishes moving forward with your Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 projects.

ATR