5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 9:19 AM by Mundania

Multiple output modules cause render to fail?

vfxKid1024 Level 1

Is anybody else having trouble with using multiple output modules in after effects?  Let me elaborate:  so I'm working on a 3d film, and my worflow is to simply work with the footage side by side in a single comp (we're at HD, so the comp size is 3840x1080).  Very often, I need to fire off a quick render to show to the director.  Most of the time, I just do the left eye by cropping to that 1920x1080 area in the output module.  Other times I need to deliver both eyes, so instead of cropping to 1920x1080, I resize the frame in the output module to 1920x1080.  Yea, we lose half of our horizontal resolution, but that's not such a big deal for us when just working on approvals.

Here's the thing: sometimes I like to export multiple variations of this at once (ie one output module for the left eye, one for the right eye, and another for the squished side-by-side left-right video).  Whenever I try to output multiple modules with quicktime, it fails.  Every time.

When it fails, I get two messages: the first (a warning) says "After Effects warning: last frame was written to one or more output modules, but not all! ( 26 :: 153 )"

The second message (an error) shows up once for each output module: "After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file "C:\blahh blah blah\whereIputmyfiles\the_render.mov". An output module failed.  The file may be damaged or corrupted. (-1610153464)."  Once it fails, I cannot output to quicktime AT ALL (multiple output modules, or not) without restarting After Effects.

I tried outputting multiple modules as a PNG sequence... and that worked just fine (if "slow as hell" can ever be called "fine" .... but it worked! )

I tried outputting to the multiple formats I wanted with one output module per render item (rather than having one render item with multiple modules) as quicktime, and that worked just fine (of course... it takes N times as long though... for N number of outputs).

I am on Windows 7 64-bit... running After Effects CC 2014... I never had this trouble back when I was working on the CC version (the not 2014 cc version... that is too confusing...).  However, I just went back and tried it with the older version, and it no longer works there either!  What gives?

When outputting quicktime, I'm using the h.264 codec.

And before anybody suggests it, no I can't just use AME because that can't resize video (it forces you to keep the aspect ratio through letterboxing) or crop video.

• 1. Re: Multiple output modules cause render to fail?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE and what OS down to the last decimal point?

Outputting Quicktime to h.264 is buggy and should not be done. Have you considered using the Adobe Media Encoder by dragging your completed comps in a render comp? Even when using the Output Module, this is a better and faster to render option than resizing the comp in the output module.

The most likely culprit is the h.264 Quicktime. It should have never been included as an option. It doesn't even work well in Quicktime Pro or in Final Cut...

• 2. Re: Multiple output modules cause render to fail?
            vfxKid1024 Level 1

After Effects version 13.0.0.214

Windows 7 64-bit

Ah, I never knew about the h.264 in quicktime being so buggy, thanks for the heads up.  And with that new knowledge, I tested multiple output modules with quicktime using ProRes 4444, and it worked perfectly! (for those wondering how to get ProRes encoding on Windows, use this: http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!)

• 3. Re: Multiple output modules cause render to fail?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>The most likely culprit is the h.264 Quicktime. It should have never been included as an option. It doesn't even work well in Quicktime Pro or in Final Cut...

I'll come to Apple's (partial) defense here:

Their H.264 codec was written and released at a time when it was difficult to imagine that mainstream computers would have as many CPUs as they do now, so it's somewhat understandable that the severe failures that this codec has with large numbers of threads occurs. Of course, we may all wish that Apple hadn't decided to end development on the QuickTime platform, since this has meant that bugs like this are likely to persist.

That said, this is why we increasingly recommend that people use other H.264 codecs and not use QuickTime for such things. See the H.264 options currently in Adobe Media Encoder.

• 4. Re: Multiple output modules cause render to fail?
                vfxKid1024 Level 1

Necro-ing this old thread because I've just had a similar run-in with the 'ole "output module failed" error, but under different circumstances.

This time, I wasn't using the mov h.264 exporter, I was using MOV with the Miraizon ProRes encoder (I'm on Windows).  Usually it works without a hitch, but today I just couldn't get it to work at all.  I ended up rendering out a PSD sequence, but even then it STILL wouldn't let me convert that to a pro-res sequence.  What's also strange is even after it failed, the silly QT32 Server held onto the file -- I couldn't delete it short of closing out of After Effects!

I don't have any repro steps... yet... but I was just wondering if anybody else has run into this problem before.  I hope it's not a problem with Miraizon...

• 5. Re: Multiple output modules cause render to fail?
                  Mundania Level 1

I am suddenly having a horrible time with this today using Miraizon to convert to ProRes 422.

Never had the problem before, worked for me for years, then for no reason random files just won't write to ProRes - did you find a solution for this?