17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2014 6:56 AM by A.T. Romano

"chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc

tyyeul

Première Eléments 10

At the end of the compilation and just before physically burning the Bluray disc, compilation stops at 99% with this message : "débordement de chapitre" = chapter overflow. Has anybody an explanation and any workaround ? Many thanks ! Paul

• 1. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

There are no 2014 thoughts to this Chapter Overflow Error. A recent Premiere Elements user who ran into the problem found going to another computer resolved the problem for that user.

There is no answer for Chapter Overflow error which appears to have nothing to do with project menu chapters or much of anything else.

There are many reports. Some have solved the issue by removing conflicting program, some by using a different disc, different Blu-ray burner, different computer, and so on. The following 2011 thread is probably the most comprehensive account of the situation. I was involved in this 2011 thread at a forum that I not long visit.

Please review and let us know the outcome one way or the other.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
            tyyeul Level 1

A.T.Romano

Thanks for your reply and advices. Inbeetween i found and read all threads regarding Chapter Overflow. Long long story indeed ! I just wonder that Adobe has never reacted and fix this issue which is known from PRE 9 up to PRE 12 now.

My summary : I use BD ASUS BW-16D1HT, new, no update available yet. Windows 8.1 / 8 Go ram / Intel i5-3570K. I tried to burn a BD-R disc from Sony. Never had AnyDVD on my machine.

I also modify the register as suggested by pgauba on Apr 6,2012. Will of course read the log file after the next issue occurs.

Next steps : update Quicktime, run as administrator, buy and try BD-RE disc,  What else should i try ?

Thanks,

Paul

• 3. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Do you get the Chapter Overflow Error with all your Premiere Elements 10 burn to Blu-ray or just sometimes?

If all the time, another variable to pursue is the Premiere Elements version in your specific computer environment. You could download and install the Premiere Elements 12 tryout from Adobe for this purpose.

Also, do you have access to an external Blu-ray DVD burner that you could use in your computer environment for troubleshooting this issue?

Please update us on your progress when you have the time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                tyyeul Level 1

A.T.Romano

Yes I get the Chapter overflow error all the time ! As explained yesterday, i'll make further tests, inclusiv PRE12 trial version. Alas no external BD burner...

In a few days i'll inform you about my results.

Thanks

Paul

• 5. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your results when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 6. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                    tyyeul Level 1

Le 14/08/2014 17:34, A.T. Romano a écrit :

>

"chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>

in /Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6640533#6640533>

• 7. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for the reply but there was no message in the Reply field.

Please try again when you have time.

Hope all is going well.

ATR

• 8. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                        tyyeul Level 1

Sorry for my mistake ! Here after my reply !

I just tried to burn my project on a BD-RE disc : same error "Chapter overflow" !

I then open the log file i had organized as indicated by pgauba on Apr 6,2012.
                        Copy hereafter:

18/18:57:36.903: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_SetLogFile("C:\Users\Paul\Documents\PRE-BD-Log.txt") - return = 0

18/18:57:37.125: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_CreateProject("\\?\F:\Puy du Fou 2014\Enregistrement automatique d'Adobe Premiere Elements\Encoded Files\puy du Fou 2014-5.prel\temp\", AS_HDMV_Project::ID(0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF), [out] AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.125: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::SetProgressProc(AS_ProgressProc(0x06dec2d0), 0x34fbc6d0) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.125: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::CreateGPR(AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28), [out] AS_HDMV_Project::GPR(0)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.126: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::CreateGPR(AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28), [out] AS_HDMV_Project::GPR(1)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.126: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::CreateGPR(AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28), [out] AS_HDMV_Project::GPR(2)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.126: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::CreateGPR(AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28), [out] AS_HDMV_Project::GPR(3)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.126: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::CreateGPR(AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28), [out] AS_HDMV_Project::GPR(4)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.135: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_GetDeviceCount([out] 1) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.145: : Exclusive access acquired for device J

18/18:57:37.145: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_SelectDevice(0, [out] AS_Device(0x35c17010)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.145: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Device::GetCaps(AS_Device(0x0013d138), [out] BD: yes, HDDVD: no, DVD: yes, VCD: yes, Qflix: no, QflixPro: no, dual layer: yes, edit: no, test mode: no) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.145: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Device::GetName(AS_Device(0x0013d134), [out] "J") - return = 0

18/18:57:37.145: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Device::GetIDStrings(AS_Device(0x0013ce74), "ASUS", "BW-16D1HT", [out] "1.01") - return = 0

18/18:57:37.149: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Device::GetState(AS_Device(0x0013d0cc), 30, [out] State_MediaNotPresent) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.149: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Object::GetError(AS_Object(0x34fbc7ac)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.175: : Exclusive access released for device J

18/18:57:37.175: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Device::Deselect([out] AS_Device(0x0013d118)) - return = 0

18/18:57:37.176: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::EstimateSize(AS_HDMV_Project(0x16f58d28), [out] 12410) - return = 0

--- End Of Log ---

After end of compilation, PRE stars a dialog with my Asus burner. The used API named "BDMV_API" obtains exclusive access to the burner, then asks for capacities, name, ID and state. Answer of the device : Media not present !!!! Of course i had a disc inside !

As my burner burns flawlessly bluray disc with Nero for example, this means that the syntax of the used Adobe PRE-API is not correct !

I installed PRE 12-trial version, but i can't load my entire project due certainly to length limitation in the trial version.

I'll create a shorter project and try to burn it with PRE 12.

Have a nice evening ( it's 9 p.m. here in France)

Paul

• 9. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

We will look forward to your results.

But I am not sure about what you wrote

I installed PRE 12-trial version, but i can't load my entire project due certainly to length limitation in the trial version.

The tryout should offer the same as the purchased in this regard.

Thanks for the follows with the detailed results. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                            tyyeul Level 1

PRE trial version : as explained, i can load my project, then PRE loads all medias (stills and movies). This takes quite a long time and after may be 20 minutes, PRE crashes and closes, before complete loading of all medias.

Paul

• 11. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

That is strange.

If you are on the same computer and all you are doing is using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 instead of 10 and the 10 contents went into a 10 project without issue, then I am surprised unless you have duplicated of files somewhere along the line so that resources are being compromised. But, 10 and 12 are both 64 bit applications on Windows 8.1 64 bit and can take advantage of the 64 bit resources. Did you install Premiere Elements 12 to the default locations?

ATR

• 12. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                                tyyeul Level 1

A.T.Romano

Sad news : i made a lot of trials today with always the same result : "chapter overflow"

I tried to run as administrator, create a new short clip (15') without menus or titles and tried to burn in PRE10 and PRE12, ...

The last log file :

19/18:20:07.872: : Progress message: Building streams...

19/18:20:07.872: : Progress : step 2/4, 0.00000

19/18:20:07.872: : Progress : step 2/4, 1.00000

19/18:20:07.930: : CMuxBase::ThrowMuxErr: MuxStatusCode=115

19/18:20:07.930: :     InfoString='CreateStcSequence: Fail to write M2S file.'

19/18:20:07.930: :     File='.\TSWrapper.cpp'

19/18:20:07.930: :     Line=1009

19/18:20:07.959: : CMuxBase::SetErrorInfo: MuxStatusCode=115

19/18:20:07.959: :     InfoString='CreateStcSequence: Fail to write M2S file.'

19/18:20:07.959: : CCtrl_TSComp::DelegateError: MuxStatusCode=115, SonicTextNum=0, Message='CreateStcSequence: Fail to write M2S file.'

19/18:20:07.973: : Building...Module(class BDROM::TSComp) duration = 3.8316 seconds

19/18:20:07.973: : CreateStcSequence: Fail to write M2S file.

19/18:20:07.974: : error = 3, message = "device error", note = "CreateStcSequence: Fail to write M2S file."

19/18:20:07.974: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_Project::BuildToDevice(AS_HDMV_Project(0x2010d698), AS_Device(0x304d8e58), "20140819_175816") - return = 3

19/18:20:07.974: AS_BDMV_API: AS_HDMV_GetError() - return = 0

19/18:20:07.974: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Object::GetError(AS_Object(0x18a895c0)) - return = 3

19/18:20:07.974: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Object::GetError(AS_Object(0x18a89658)) - return = 0

19/18:20:07.989: : Exclusive access released for device J

19/18:20:07.989: AS_BDMV_API: AS_Device::Deselect([out] AS_Device(0x26f7ed50)) - return = 0

--- End Of Log ---

So i decided to learn more about AS_BDMV_API !  It is an Application Programming Interface that is part of AuthorScript, a SoftwareDevelopmentKit from SONIC.

Adobe uses this third party software in PRE but also in Encore. User of Encore have exactly the same problem since version 6, see :https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1038610?start=0&tstart=0, same log with same error at the same line !

I also found this publication :http://delancie.net/Docs.htm, click on AuthorScript HDDVD SDK guide which perfectly explains the process of preparing a HD (or BD) structure for burning a disc.

Read this :

3.2  What AS HDDVD Doesgo:  top

The AuthorScript Video HDDVD SDK enables an application to perform the following aspects of project creation for HD DVD:

• Define the structural elements (e.g. EVOBs, Presentation Clips, Titles, Playlists) of a project's structure.
                                • Import source media (video, audio, graphics) and assign resulting media streams to structural elements.
                                • Define attributes (timing, position, etc.) associated with structural elements.
                                • Define navigation (links) between elements in the structure, including button links and post-links (links from the conclusion of one presentation to the start of another).
                                • Multiplex the media and associated presentation and navigation information into HD DVD-compliant streams.
                                • Build a volume (disc image) with an HD DVD-compliant directory structure.
                                • Write the volume to a storage medium (e.g. optical disc or hard-drive).

The physical burning starts after PRE has prepared the streams to burn ! I agree with all people who wrote : the burner or the disc media are not responsible for this "chapter overflow" error !!!

Last information regarding Mr Pankaj Gauba who gave the tip regarding creation of the pre-BD-log.text (very helpful !) : he is member of the development team af Adobe Premiere Elements...His name is on the list which is displayed while starting PRE...

Have no solution at the moment and i consider than PRE is unable to burn Bluray discs.

Your comments will be appreciated !

Paul

• 13. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

The physical burning starts after PRE has prepared the streams to burn ! I agree with all people who wrote : the burner or the disc media are not responsible for this "chapter overflow" error !!!

The above is clouded by the findings of some that those factors/considerations did indeed get rid of the Chapter Overflow message at the end of the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray. But, for others is was typically "something different" or "no resolution" as the outcome.

In all your studies, was there only one computer in use throughout, including the look at the problem with two different versions of Premiere Elements? In spite of all your wrote and read, did you ever introduce a different Blu-ray burner into the mix?

Also, did you ever work through your observation that a given full content that Premiere Elements 10 accepted was not being accepted by Premiere Elements 12/12.1?

Disappointing about the Chapter Overflow issue. But, as you found out, it appears to have nothing to do with the disc menu with menu markers (chapters).

So it would be interesting to learn from the Adobe Engineer who programmed in that message to what he/she was targeting when he/she created that  message. Why give this happening that particular name?

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 14. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                                    tyyeul Level 1

A.T.Romano

Thanks for your reply.

"The above is clouded by the findings of some that those factors/considerations did indeed get rid of the Chapter Overflow message at the end of the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray. But, for others is was typically "something different" or "no resolution" as the outcome."

I have quite a long experience with software and i always explain that computers never (or rarely ) work as expected ! some people found a "solution" to the issue establishing a causal direct relation between their action ( run as administrator for example) and the good result. But they forget ( and i did often the same mistake) that Windows plays a dominant role as host for the customer software, and Windows has frequent ( daily ?) updates ! Nobody knows exactly what has been changed regarding dll's, api's, memory, i/o behavior and so on. May be someday, after a new update, PRE10 will work as expected !

It's also possible that these people have slightly change something else on their machine...

Yes i used the same computer for all my experiments. As i only have one BD-burner, i could not test another one. I will look for an explanation regarding strange behavior of PRE 12 with my long project, using informations given by Windows in case of crashes.  I'll also will re-install PRE 4, old version wich was able to burn bluray discs. Similar solution has been adopted by those people who complains with Encore CS 6 and have go back to CS 5.

Once more, when looking at the logfile and at the paper of AuthorScript, there for me no doubt that neither the burner, nor the disc are involved in the process of multiplexing video and sound ! This happens inside PRE, with windows software !

Simple question : are you personally able to burn bluray on your PC using either PRE10 or PRE12 ?

Paul

• 15. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

I have Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, 11, and 12 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit and do not get Chapter Overflow with burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. I have only 1 Blu-ray burner (internal LG 12X) and typically use Verbatim BD-R and BD-RE 25 GB discs. One time I used a BD-RE 50 GB disc, still no Chapter Overflow.

There was only one time in all these years that I have ever gotten a Chapter Overflow message at the end of a Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray. That was back in August 2011, using Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in this setup.The following is a copy/paste of my description of the happening (in the midst of the hot and heavy Chapter Overflow discussions) and how I easily resolved it in that particular instance.

Yesterday for the first time ever, I personally encountered the "Chapter Overflow" as I was waiting for a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Share/Disc/Bluray burn to Bluray (H.262 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby) to go to completion.

The Timeline had two 720p24 clips (about 40 seconds each), and a scene marker at the beginning of each clip. The menu was the one for Pets/cats. I used a Verbatim BD-RE disc which had previous content and allowed the program to overwrite it to encode the current project on the disc.

When I get lazy like that, that is, do not erase the disc beforehand and allow the program to erase the disc before encoding new content, I typically have problems with the 3rd party Blu-ray software that came with the Blu-ray burner. If I do not get there quick enough, the 3rd party Blu-ray software opens as the burn begins and interrupts the burn until I manually close the 3rd party Blu-ray software. BUT, in the past this activity has NEVER resulted in any "Chapter Overflow". When this event took place, I had been engaged in heavy burns to Bluray "PAL vs NTSC" settings on that same disc with lots of overwrites of the disc.

The one thing that was "different" about all this was that along with the Chapter Overflow message was a warning triangle at the bottom left of the workspace...Display: Monitor Configuration Changed.

My Chapter Overflow fix for my one and only Chapter Overflow message:

a. Delete the Premiere Elements project and its files

b. Do a Full Erase of the Blu-ray disc

c. Repeat the project as new project

The Chapter Overflow message never reappeared, and I continued with my back and forth testing between Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and 3rd party software for putting 720p24 on that Blu-ray disc (BD-RE)..."NTSC vs PAL"

After all my reporting to you that I never got that Chapter Overflow message, this event was a bit of a shocker even though it appeared to be a one of its kind event.

But, in view of the many personal fixes or non fixes from the many for this including burner and disc changes, I am not ready to jump to the generalized  conclusion that the burner or disc or combination thereof is not involved in Chapter Overflow for every report of Chapter Overflow.

Also, I am not a corporation nor do I supervise people to run computer programs for me. I am a hands users who reports what works consistently for me in my personal projects. I do not sell what I create in these programs. I need to prove for myself what works, what does not, and hopefully the figure out the whys. I have Premiere Elements versions on Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit, and Windows 8.1 bit. I have never used Premiere Elements Mac.

Your report

I'll create a shorter project and try to burn it with PRE 12.

is of concern.

ATR

• 16. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                                        tyyeul Level 1

A.T.Romano

First of all, i want to apologize for having written my question using bold font in my last message ! I did'nt want to be impolite or wanted to upset you ! Sorry.

Regarding the chapter overflow error, i now get the conclusion that my BD burner has a problem ! I can still read and write DVD discs, read BD discs but no more write neither BD nor BD-RE discs !!! So i apologize and make amends. Hopefully it will works after repair of my burner !

The other problem is still pending ! I tried many times to load my old long projects with PRE 12, never succeed ! The program either hangs after about 10 mins having loaded about 30% of the 393 items (video clips and stills), or crashes indicating an application error : faulty module is ig7icd32.dll as per event viewer. This module is frequently involved in issues on the Microsoft tablet "Surface Pro" and to fix this people have generally replace the module by an older version. I'll try this asap.

Paul

• 17. Re: "chapter overflow" problem when trying to burn a Bluray disc
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for the reply. No apologizes expected and needed. By background information was included in the prior post since I did not know if you got the wrong impression about what I do and how I approach it. Hope we are OK.

As for the ig7icd32.dll, I have never run into that one before. So, I headed for Google. One of the links gave it a definition and said it had about 29 variants; other links, I was not sure if a real fix was being offered or what I was reading was a promotion for the web site's particular Tool. We will be interested in your findings.

Besides your primary lead in the event error, have you gone through the usual drill, especially the first...

a. video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card

b. running program from User Account with Administrative Privileges and with application of Run As Administrator

c. latest version of QuickTime installed

d. properties of source media (still, pixel dimensions & how many; video, formats and duration) - project preset - duration of project at hang (10 minute Timeline?)

e. other to be discussed later depending on results of the primary lead.

Looking forward to your follow up and results.

ATR