7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 9:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required

Andrew29 Level 1

Hi all,

I have a copy of Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and when i go to burn a DVD i get a message saying that i need to get an unlock code.  When i then go to the website it tells me that this facility is no longer availaible and i have to pay to upgrade.  Surely this cannot be correct as i have already purchased the software and should be able to use the full functionality.  Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks

Andrew

• 1. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Serial number and activation chat support (non-CC) may be able to help

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service1.html

• 2. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew29

You can try Adobe Chat, but I do not believe it will give you any support on this matter because you are not dealing with the current version which for now is version 12/12.1. Coupled with that  is the situation where this is not a serial number/program activation matter. It is a feature activation issue. Different story.

There have been several what seemed like insurmountable problems in this regard, especially with MPEG2 Activation and Premiere Elements 8.0 and versions earlier than 8.0/8.0.1. But some have solved the problem with

• uninstall the program via the usual Control Panel/Programs way
            • do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)  https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
            • reinstall the program with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Please let us know if any of that works for you also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
              Andrew29 Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i shall give this link a try.

• 4. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
                Andrew29 Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i will try doing as you suggest.  I have used the program before without any issues and have now reinstalled it onto a different machine.

• 5. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew29

Thanks for the follow up.

Did the issue present itself when you tried to use Premiere Elements 7 on a computer which had never seen it before?

ATR

• 6. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
                    Andrew29 Level 1

Thanks ATR, it was working fine on a different PC (has since been rebuilt), but started doing this on a different/newer PC that i had.  I have also tried installing it onto a different machine (we have 8 licences here) and i get the same problem.  I appreciate that an older version may not have support, or may lack some functionality, but it must still be allowed to work surely.  At the end of the day we did purchase the software.  Seems very strange.

Andrew

• 7. Re: Unable to burn a DVD due to unlock code being required
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

Reflecting on this....the overall program does require activation at installation. But, there is also required activation for specific processes within the program - typically on a one time basis. Typically you see the latter when you go to use one of this processes that need first time activation.

What you seem to be facing is the first time activation needed for the use of MPEG2 in the burn to DVD-VIDEO whose video files will be MPEG2.vob. Recently that Adobe statement surfaced about it not providing this MPEG2 activation for Premiere Elements 8 and earlier versions of the program. I am guessing that this one time activation is related to a program on its computer at component activation rather than a blanket MPEG2 activation for that program being used on another computer.

In view of the Adobe statement, it appeared as an Adobe write off of features for the Premiere Elements 8 or earlier users. Yet, some facing this situation, have come back to the forum to report that the uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) overcame the problem. I have no other details of how these users accomplished this success.

But, if you are saying that you also cannot use features of the program unrelated to MPEG2 activation (cannot even open version 7), then there is more going on that needs a look at. If MPEG2 activation is the only issue

a. have you tried to uninstall reinstall latest version QuickTime

b. have you tried the workaround of export to  Share/Computer/AVI or Share/Computer/Windows Media and then burn that file to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with a DVD-VIDEO authoring program - one example Windows DVD Maker.

Did you end up purchasing Premiere Elements 12? Did you look at the version 12 tryout from Adobe first?

ATR