11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 11:45 AM by ccastleb

Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file

Andrew Hobbs Level 1

Hi,

First post & using 8.6 on Mac OSX 10.9.4 shooting Canon 1Dx.

After years of sucessfully converting Canon CR2 files with custom settings to DNG for archiving, just recently I’ve been having an issue where the actual settings aren’t transferring or being recognised.

It used to work easy & fast by just selecting the Canon CR2 files with their sidecars and drag/dropping straight onto the DNG Converter which I have sitting in the dock, then hit the convert button.

Yes, the files still convert to DNG but no custom settings. The file is like the original unprocessed raw image

Any solutions anyone?

• 1. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I could very easily be wrong, but I don't believe that is the way the DNG converter is designed to work. Every tutorial I have watched has instructed me to convert the DNG files first and then do the adjustments. I don't believe the DNG converter has the capability to read from XMP files. The other software you are using probably has the capability to create DNG files. I know that Lightroom will enable you to convert at any point and those DNG files will include adjustments that have been made. But I don't think the DNG converter has the capability to read the XMP files.

• 2. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is an issue with the new DNGC 8.6 where is ALWAYS assigns Adobe Factory Default settings when converting.  Another user complained that they have customized their camera raw defaults, and the DNGC 8.6 is ignoring those, too, so I am inclined to believe this user’s complaint that the DNGC 8.6 is behaving differently than before.

• 3. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
              areohbee Level 6

JimHess wrote:

I could very easily be wrong, but I don't believe that is the way the DNG converter is designed to work. Every tutorial I have watched has instructed me to convert the DNG files first and then do the adjustments. I don't believe the DNG converter has the capability to read from XMP files. The other software you are using probably has the capability to create DNG files. I know that Lightroom will enable you to convert at any point and those DNG files will include adjustments that have been made. But I don't think the DNG converter has the capability to read the XMP files.

In case not yet clear from ssprengel's post: DNG converter should preserve ACR settings and metadata from xmp. If it's not, then it's a bug. Try it (with an older version of DNGC).

• 4. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file

I haven’t had a chance to confirm either possible bug, yet.

• 5. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
                  areohbee Level 6

ssprengel wrote:

I haven’t had a chance to confirm either possible bug, yet.

Nor I. But I have confirmed that DNG conversion has, in the past, preserved settings..

That said, I am starting to wonder why the OP prefixed the phrase with the word "custom".

In other words, DNG converter should preserve pre-existing ACR settings (as they exist in xmp), but won't necessarily apply Lr defaults.., and as we all know, will NOT preserve any camera settings (except as generic metadata - not as develop settings I mean).

• 6. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
                    Andrew Hobbs Level 1

Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

After posting last night I thought about reproducing the same issue on my laptop (MacBook Pro) as I run the same software (PS CC 2014, ACR 8.6, DNG Converter 8.6) and workflow as on my main Mac.

And yes, the problem is definitely reproducible.

Then had a lightbulb moment by downloading & trying an earlier version of DNG converter (v8.5)

Voila! Lo & behold the problem is gone. 8.5 is king

So I’m with you ssprengal, it appears DNG 8.6 is somewhat buggy when it comes to transferring/recognizing customised settings in the way I normally do it.

(ie drag drop CR2 + Sidecars onto DNG Converter)

FYI, when editing CR2 files direct in the ACR 8.6 dialogue window I can convert to DNG with settings intact....but for me that workflow holds up ACR for eding on other work

FYI_2

Usual editing workflow goes like this:-

1. Edit CR2 files direct in ACR 8.6
                    2. Save files as Jpegs, Tiff etc or whatever client needs
                    3. Hide or quit ACR
                    4. Go to folder where CR2 & sidecar files are.
                    5. Select all, drag drop onto DNG converter
                    6. Press convert

I run this workflow only so it frees up ACR for further editing (say on a different job)

Some jobs run into hundreds of final images, so efficiency is key.

ACR works while the DNG converter is working (on other files) in the background.

• 7. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file

The word “Custom” means the OP has changed their camera raw defaults and those changes are not showing on in their DNGs until they use Reset in ACR. 

I change my factory camera raw defaults by saving new ACR defaults where the camera profile is Camera Standard instead of Adobe Standard.  Some other people change their camera raw defaults to have different noise-reduction slider values for different ISO sensitivities.   The OP is referring to their changed camera raw defaults as custom camera raw defaults.

A bug has also been reported on the forums where the DNGC 8.6 is ignoring adjustments stored in XMP files, so if someone wants to provide a DNG of their raw file with the settings stored in it, they can’t by just converting the raw+xmp to DNG like used to work.  They have to then update the metadata in the DNG as well, otherwise the DNG will have the Factory-Default settings.

So I think the actual bug (or feature) is that the DNG Converter 8.6 always uses the Adobe factory default Settings, and overrides any customized default settings and ignores any settings in an XMP settings.

• 8. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file

I posted about this on the Feedback forum and an Adobe employee has acknowledged they are investigating the issue.

• 9. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
                          Chris Crevasse Level 1

Yes, I have been experiencing this same issue since I moved to DNG 8.6.  My ACR defaults by camera and ISO are lost when I convert my raws to DNG.  Everything reverts to the Adobe defaults.  My solution has been to return all of my DNGs to my ACR defaults in the pull-down, which recaptures my default settings.  I can then work on the images from there.

• 10. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
                            Ross Whitaker

This is most definitely a glaring problem with DNC 8.6... The Digital Negative Converter has ALWAYS combined the .xmp sidecar file. That is one of the main reasons to use .dng (to corral wayward sidecar files).Went back and installed DNC 8.5 and it is fine, no problems... Hopefully, DNC 8.7? will solve this omission

• 11. Re: Canon CR2 custom settings not transferring to converted DNG file
                              ccastleb Adobe Employee

This is fixed in DNG Converter 8.7.

The public release candidate is available here:

Download Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.7 Beta - Adobe Labs