7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 10:42 AM by Bird™

TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)

Bird™ Level 1

Has anyone any good techniques for creating tempo grids to edit to in AE (or any Video edit system)?

For almost a decade the only way I and other animators have been tackling this is to: Make an empty layer then tap in markers for each beat. This is quite inaccurate and depends on the persons rhythmic sense and how far zoomed in you can be on the timeline.

With a lot of us making promo, entertainment and music videos, it would be a revelation to have a secondary tempo grid display, so we can easily edit to the beat.  So far not a single video package has done this and crossing my finger isn’t working

• 1. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adding graphics to the beat of a song isn't just about the song's tempo, but also about the emotion of the song. This will require a person every time. You can easily find the bpm of any song and apply an animation that matches, but it will be a soulless animation without feeling.

AE offers a way to convert audio to keyframes and, if you want more control, there are plugins like SoundKeys. This is a little better than just doing it to the beat as it takes volume into consideration.

• 2. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)
            Bird™ Level 1

Most of our jobs actually require a soulless and exact animation!

It certainly would be lovely to work on only emotive and creative briefs all the time but even a fun and lively kids TV sing-along still needs a tempo grid to reference to speed work up.  Specially as audio in AE isn't realtime.  We could then more easily start work to a bpm even before the audio arrives.

Soundkeys and audio-to-keyframes is not useful at all for this request, that's a creative choice.

We just really want a tempo grid display "but it makes me sad… as I think it'll never happen"  

• 3. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)

Bird™ wrote:

We just really want a tempo grid display "but it makes me sad… as I think it'll never happen"

Sounds like it would be useful. However, it certainly won't happen unless Adobe knows people want it. This is a user-to-user forum, so it's not a good way to talk to Adobe officially. This is though: Adobe - Feature Request Form

• 4. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)
                Bird™ Level 1

TRUE! Yep been there.

In that case, if you're in London and love making cheesy text fly throughs and sparkly loud animations… I have an AE animator job for this thursday/friday… serious!

• 5. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)

Afraid I'm in the Nashville, Tennessee area of the USA. (I did live in Devon for a few years, but haven't lived in England for a while.)

• 6. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are already many ways to edit to a beat very quickly in AE. Also when you say that audio to keyframes or Trapcode sound keys is not suitable to this you are missing a tremendous amount of functionality on both of those effects. If I need to do what you are describing, many many cuts to a beat in a short amount of time, I will timeout the distance between the beats, set in and out points for however many layers I want to cut lining be in point up with the first part of the beat, the outpoint with the start of the next beat, and then use the keyframe assistant to sequence the layers. It takes just a few seconds to put 100 cuts in sync with an eighth note.

I have been cutting to music for more than 40 years and quick cuts in sync to a rhythm track is always easy if you don't try to look at each beat as a separate event. Back in the film days I seldom if ever marked every beat with the wax pencil them painstakingly matched up little pieces of film. Instead I would put a mark on the editing table 4, or six, or 7 1/4 inches long, then lay out my little pieces of film and trim them and splice them together. Took minutes not hours.

I'm not saying that a tempo grid overlay on the timeline would not be a useful feature, I'm saying there are much better ways to use the existing toolset.

• 7. Re: TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem), TEMPO mapping in AE (Or FCPro/ Prem)
                      Bird™ Level 1

Phwoargh Rick! 40 years and you don't look a day over 40!

That's a whole bunch of great info that'll be useful for a future job I am so sure. I'll definitely look into that little technique!

We have certainly used seq layers to similar effect when doing stop motion based on an img sequence: scanned in 1000's of polaroids at @10ƒ per second. I'm sure that's where I got RSI