7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2014 2:10 PM by A.T. Romano

I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.

vpkenyon@msn.com

When I try to edit a video the highlights are turning black/grey and other colours are turning white or grey making the video look like a negative . . . sometimes the colour goes completely but not always.  Also, when this happens the whole thing freezes. I tried running the videos on QuickTime and they run okay which makes me think it's not the graphics card but Adobe Elements that's the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>think it's not the graphics card but Adobe Elements that's the problem

•What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

•What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

•Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

•-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

vpkenyon

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

Can we assume that you are having these video color issues before you have applied any color correction to your videos in

Premiere Elements 11? If so, do you have the same issue if you import a video with a different format into the project? For that matter, even

some jpg photos?

Does it make a difference if you right click the Edit area Monitor, select Playback Quality, and then use Highest instead of Automatic as that setting?

How many monitors do you use in your setup? And, what is your situation related to

a. video card/graphic card and latest driver version

b. do you have 1 or 2 cards

If you have two monitors, are you comparing the video color in QuickTime and the video color in Premiere Elements Edit area monitor on the same monitor?

Lots more questions, but let us look at the above first.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
              vpkenyon@msn.com Level 1

Thanks for that advice John I'll look into the driver updates and you're right I did expect Windows update to have the current driver info.

@ A.T. Romano: I really am an amateur at this and only use one monitor, don't think I'd manage two . . . I'll try your suggestions and let you know how I get on with it.

• 4. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

vpkenyon

Thanks for the reply.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Besides checking the video card driver version, and Playback Quality settings, please click on the Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette and note if any of the panels there, especially Smart Fix panel, have a green dot next to them when you have not knowingly made any of the adjusts there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
                  vpkenyon@msn.com Level 1

Hi John, sorry for the late reply but I often work 10 or 12 hour shifts and don't get much computer time . . . you ask what make of graphics adapter; if that is the same thing as a display adapter it's an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 which I updated i.e. downloaded and installed the latest driver.

When I opened the video with Adobe Premier Elements 11 I got the same results, the clouds in their varying shades of grey had turned silvery black, frustrated I opened the file with Quicktime, Windows Media Player, and Lightroom, they all played the video no problem; then I discovered whilst in Lightroom I could edit the video so I cut back on the exposure, punched-up the colours and contrast, saved this version and was delighted to find it opened successfully in Adobe Premier Elements 11 . . .

I'm not very technically minded and don't know how on this occasion we resolved the issue but hopefully it was just a glitch with that particular video.  On Thursday I made time to take my new Phantom 2 Vision+ out and shot some nice video which downloaded perfectly for editing with Adobe Premier Elements 11.

Me, I guess I'm still low on the learning curve.  Thanks for your help guys.

• 6. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
                    vpkenyon@msn.com Level 1

Sorry, I should have answered your questions.

I'm running Premier Elements 11 on a Sony Vaio with an Intel Core i3

"Can we assume that you are having these video color issues before you have applied any color correction to your videos in

Premiere Elements 11"     -    I don't know how to apply colour correction in Premier Elements 11. Interestingly the problem was resolved after applying coour corrections in Lightroom . . .

No issues with importing jpegs . . .

• 7. Re: I am having a problem importing MP4 video into Premier Elements 11.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

vpkenyon

Thanks for the reply.

Glad you resolved your issue after applying color corrections in Lightroom. Good job.

Was it only one video file that was affected? Did I understand correctly that the video color issue did not present when you made new recordings with your new camera?

If you want to pursue what Premiere Elements 11 color correction can do for you by comparison, please review the following

Color Correction in the Adobe document on Effects Reference

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Effects reference

Also, explore the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/ and the panel there as they relate to video color plus.

Adjust.JPG

Note when you expand Lighting Panel, included Brightness, Contrast, Exposure, plus.

Best wishes

ATR