16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2014 8:31 PM by scouterbsa

How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?

scouterbsa

How do I get "Motion Tracking Mode" to work?  I click the icon and nothing happens, its like greyed out.

• 1. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is running?

Please review the details in the following blog post including the links provided within the blog post

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Motion Tracking/What To Use To Track Object?

Answers are in the details. There is no Motion Tracking in Premiere Elements 11. The feature is in Premiere Elements 12, but no icon involved....just Expert workspace or Quick workspace Tools Menu or Tools Tab/Motion Tracking. I am guessing that you are working with Premiere Elements 10.

Please include your step by step procedure....select video then....Included in your details should be the properties of the selected video with the object to be tracked, the nature of the object, and afterward what you are using to track the object.

We will be looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
            scouterbsa Level 1

Running Win7, prem ele 10-

• 3. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
              scouterbsa Level 1

This is my first attempt at premiere elements.  I took some video at my grandsons wedding and was putting it together when I thought about the motion.  Gave up when it didn't work.  Can send you what I have if I can figure out how to send an attachment.

• 4. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

Thanks for the reply. Do you work with Dropbox at all? If so, you could post a Dropbox link in one of your replies in this thread so that we could click on the link to download the video sample and work with it.

I can open a Dropbox link, but have not gotten involved in the sending of one.

Depending on your reply, I may write up a Premiere Elements 10 Motion Tracking tutorial that I will post in your thread. What did you intend to track in your video and what graphic did you want to use to track the object?

ATR

• 5. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                  scouterbsa Level 1

Don't know what dropbox is.  I shot these clips from a drone I just got, and was playing around.  I seen a tutorial on the motion tracking & was interested if I could use it.  I've got the video on YouTube

under Al/Kelsey - YouTube

• 6. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

In the morning I will do a run through Motion Tracking in Premiere Elements 10 Windows and post the results in your thread. We will go through all the steps.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

Here is my check list for you to review regarding using Motion Tracking Mode in Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit.

1. You need a video and with enough motion in the object in it to track it. Color contrast between the object and its background can be important to success.

I created a DV AVI 4:3 in which I have a circle moving, and I have used a butterfly Clip Art from Premiere Elements 10 to track to track the circle as it moves in the video. In this example, you see the object only at 0 time.

. Beginning 1.JPG

2. Select/highlight the clip on the Timeline. And then click on the Motion Tracking Mode icon above the Timeline.

You should next see the following Motion Tracking dialog asking for a Yes or No to the question "Run

Auto-Analyzer to track moving objects?" Click No.

Beginning 2.JPG

3. At this point, you will see a bounding box on screen. That bounding box should be placed using the mouse cursor on the object

that is going to be tracked, in this case, the circle. Resize and position the bounding box accordingly.

Beginning3.JPG

4. Once you have the bounding box on the object and resized, click on Track Object at the top right of the monitor.

The screenshot below shows only the before clicking Track Object at the top right of the monitor.

When that action is finished the bound box edges will be an orange yellow color. I have skipped over a screenshot

for the latter.

Beginning4.JPG

5. With the orangel yellow bounding box in place, next drag the Clip Art (in this case, Butterfly 02) from the Clip Art display area toward and into the orange yellow bounding box frame. The orange yellow bounding box frame will turn blue. That is the first sign of success.

Beginning5.JPG

Hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard and watch the results. The Butterfly should track the circle's

movement in the clip. The duration of the clip and the continuity of the object's motion in the clip can be  other factors.

If you do not succeed, try again with a different video clip (one with more movement and color contrast.

The above is a best case scenario. If it is speech bubbles that you are having problems with as well, we will deal with them next.

Right now it seems like you are having problems getting started rather than having a problem with a specific Clip Art that you are

using to track the object in your video.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                        scouterbsa Level 1

When I click on the URL you sent, I have the same original problem, the motion icon don't respond.  Also on your url, my cursor turns into a + or - magnifier.

I understand how it should work, but it don't.   It's like something didn't get installed on the installation.

• 9. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

Thanks for the reply.

Before we go further let me get this factor out of the way....what video card/graphics card does your computer use? If NVIDIA GeForce, then we stop and look at the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue which has hit every Premiere Elements 10 user whose computer uses one of those cards.

While I am waiting for that information, please clarify...what do you mean by "When I click on the URL you sent, ....." What URL did I send you?" I am missing

understanding URL involvement here.

Is your mouse cursor turning into a +- magnifier in Premiere Elements 10 or in your computer independent of Premiere Elements 10? If in Premiere Elements 10, is it when you go to click on the Motion Tracking Mode icon above the Timeline?

So as to take nothing for granted, are you having problems with your mouse cursor in general with your Windows 7 assumed 64 bit computer or specially within Premiere Elements 10 on that computer?

Thanks for further clarification.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                            scouterbsa Level 1

Intel HD Graphics.

When I got your reply, it opened in Outlook.  Under each Image, was a blue url.  The mouse only done that then.  Now when I go to the images above, the mouse acts normal.

When I click on your images above, they fill the screen but nothing happens.  I can't get anything to respond to your instructions.

I could install this in another unity with Win7 to see if it work there?

• 11. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

Thanks for the reply.

The good news is that your video card/graphics card is Intel HD Graphics (same one that I have) and not NVIDIA GeForce.

From your description, it appears that you are opening to the forum via email notification rather than opening in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum direct from its browser address. At this time, I am sure what is happening with the mouse cursor.

The screenshots that I have posted for informational purposes are stills and, when clicked on, should open to clearer images not movable (interactive) media.

If you have been through the steps that I outlined in post 7 and nothing is working as suggested, then

a. if the other computer does not use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, you could look at the performance of Premiere Elements 10 in that other computer environment.

or

b. on the present computer, delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

or

c. using the computer now in use, do that deactivation, uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - Download

Please review the above and then we can discuss what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                                scouterbsa Level 1

ATR

Done as you said, no change.  I'm giving up for now.  I may never use this again & I'm to old to worry about it.  I want to sincerely thank you for your time and interest.  You sure know what your doing and I really appreciate it, Thanks so much.

Don

• 13. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better.

If you ever want to give Premiere Elements Motion Tracking Mode another try, please let me know.

In most cases, it is the object to be tracked and the tracking object at the core of Motion Tracking Mode issues.

But, if you cannot get the feature started, we cannot point to those factors in troubleshooting.

The Motion Tracking Mode does work in Premiere Elements 10. I do not know that it ever got great generalized reviews.

Adobe did not put the feature into Premiere Elements 11, but they did return the feature to Premiere Elements 12.

I do not know if you want to invest the time...you could download and install the Premiere Elements 12 tryout and determine if

its Motion Tracking feature is new and improved as said by some.

Motion tracking | Learn Premiere Elements 12 | Adobe TV

Best wishes for whatever your video editing decisions are.

ATR

• 14. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                                    scouterbsa Level 1

Before you go, How do I change the welcome window.  When I click to sign in, in either PE or PSE, I put in my password & get a 404 error.  I can go to Internet explorer, Adobe.com, and enter the same info and it works.  Something must be wrong in the welcome setup.

• 15. Re: How to get Motion Tracking Mode to work?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

scouterbsa

You no longer use Adobe ID and Password Word (Signing In) for Premiere Elements 10 and earlier versions. All that went when photoshop.com and photoshop.com plus exited the Adobe scene.

Any messages about signing in, just cancel out of those messages and proceed to your Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements project and workflows. Be aware that the photoshop.com plus content will be displayed in the  program, but it is not available to the user. No measure of signing into that will make it available. It is gone.

Interestingly, this same Premiere Elements 10 photoshop.com plus content which is no longer available in 10 can now be found as coming free with Premiere Elements 11 and 12.

Any questions on this or need clarification, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR