6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2007 6:16 AM by toulouse2k

FW CS3 vs. PS CS3

Whittaker Websites
      I have used FW & DW for years & I have found FW to be a great easy way to work with web graphics.

Several years ago I bought PS CS just to learn what it was about. I found the Image Ready software to be very difficult to learn & a very poor alternative to FW.

Now that FW CS3 & PS CS3 are speaking to each I have several questions:

Do I need both?
      Is Image Ready gone & replaced by FW?
      Can someone point me to any articles on the Adobe site that explains what
      the differences between PS & FW are?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: FW CS3 vs. PS CS3
          Level 7
          Hi there:

1)Do I need both?

It depends on your workflow. If you are doing major bitmap editing or
          working with images destined for the print world, then I would say both
          are a good idea.

2) Is Image Ready gone & replaced by FW?

Dead and buried. :-) But from what I understand, the useful features of
          IR were moved into Photoshop. Fireworks was never a competitor to IR,
          which was primarily a slice and dice/image optimizing app. Fireworks was
          - and is - much more than that. Especially now.

3) Can someone point me to any articles on the Adobe site that explains
          what the differences between PS & FW are?

I'm not sure if there are any direct comparison articles between the two
          apps, because they really are not competing with each other. FW is more
          akin to Illustrator than it is Photoshop. I remember a long time ago MM
          used to do those comparison charts, but IMO it was a big mistake. Both
          apps have their strengths and their weaknesses.

I have an article on Adobe's site and Community MX that looks at FW/PS
          integration:
          http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/fireworks/articles/frw9at_pshopimport.html

And I'll soon have a piece on CMX that does an overview of the new PS
          features. Many of the new FW features are being dealt with n individual
          articles on both the Adobe and CMX web sites.

HTH!

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

SonoranSites wrote:
          > I have used FW & DW for years & I have found FW to be a great easy way to work
          > with web graphics.
          >
          > Several years ago I bought PS CS just to learn what it was about. I found the
          > Image Ready software to be very difficult to learn & a very poor alternative to
          > FW.
          >
          > Now that FW CS3 & PS CS3 are speaking to each I have several questions:
          >
          > Do I need both?
          > Is Image Ready gone & replaced by FW?
          > Can someone point me to any articles on the Adobe site that explains what
          > the differences between PS & FW are?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: FW CS3 vs. PS CS3
            Level 1
            There is a difference between Fw CS3 and Ps CS3. Fw CS3 is mostly web image and web graphic editing application. There are two important technologies called vector-based and bitmap-based in Fw CS3, while Ps CS3 is a bitmap-based image editing application.

Ps CS3 is pretty much high-end professional-quality image editing application aimed for high-end printing docs, producing PDF-related enviornment (or transfer files from Ps to other Adobe applications such as Illustrator CS3 or even Fireworks CS3 or any other applications such as InDesign CS3).

Fw CS3 does a very nice job in smaller file size aimed for web graphic or images to be used for Internet medium based on 72 pixel resolution, while Ps CS3 is capable of doing different resolution capacity higher than 72 or more.

Ps CS3 also is capable of editing or working with native RAW camera files (.raw or .NEG) files, that Fw CS3 can't do.

There are lot of features difference between those two. But you can transfer files between Ps CS3 and Fw CS3.
            • 3. Re: FW CS3 vs. PS CS3
              Level 7
              Hi there,

See below:

SonoranSites wrote:
              > Several years ago I bought PS CS just to learn what it was about. I found the
              > Image Ready software to be very difficult to learn & a very poor alternative to
              > FW.

Actually, Fireworks never was meant to be and was never limited to being
              an alternative to ImageReady. Fireworks is a much more well rounded app
              than ImageReady and was always meant to be used for the entire creative
              workflow from design to export of finished graphics. ImageReady has
              always been limited to the latter part only. The actual creative work
              was done elsewhere (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)

> Do I need both?

As Jim already said, it depends on your workflow but personally I think
              you do. Photoshop is a fantastic image manipulation app but, IMO, it is
              far from ideal as a design/layout app which is vector applications like
              Fireworks, Illustrator or InDesign excel.

ImageReady is no more, period. But as I said above, Fireworks' toolset
              and purpose has always been a lot wider than ImageReady's. They are
              completely different kinds of applications and all that ImageReady did
              is but a small subset of Fireworks' capabilities. Don't forget the fact
              that ImageReady was a raster based application only while Fireworks is a
              hybrid vector-raster app which makes it a lot more flexible.

Well, you can read my article on Adobe's site. It is not a direct
              comparison exercise but it does explain many of the differences. Please
              note that the bulk of that article was written for Fireworks 8 and prior
              to Photoshop CS2. Both apps have eveolved significantly since then. My
              points about the ease of doing layout work using vector tools like in
              Fireworks compared to a pure raster workflow as in PS still stand though.

HTH!

--
              Stéphane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: FW CS3 vs. PS CS3
                ageofem
                Do I need both ?

Well fireworks would be enough for web graphics, it can also export psd files. Ive used fireworks - photoshop combination before for making brochures, logo, designs etc. I design them in fireworks, then save it as a psd in photoshop for print, sometimes i change the color mode to CMYK for printing, or basically fireworks cs3 can export good photoshop and illustrator files , ( just dont use the layer modes in fireworks which are unavailable in ps).
                • 5. Re: FW CS3 vs. PS CS3
                  Level 7
                  There is a lot of crossover between Photoshop and Fireworks, but really the
                  best way to look at the two programs is Photoshop is for hi resolution
                  images intended for print or as a sating place for a hi res image that will
                  be used in both print and the web. When starting out with a hi res image
                  Photoshop does a far superior job of maintaining image quality as you
                  downsize for the web. But once you are working with low res for-the-web
                  images and doing layout mock ups and the like Fireworks comes into it's own
                  and is a much better tool than Photoshop. I've always found the way
                  Photoshop deals with test and vector graphics to be very cumbersome but in
                  Fireworks you can just click, select, edit and blaze away with out hassling
                  with layers all the time.

Image ready... R.I.P. It was never any good any way. It could never hold
                  a candle to Fireworks, and obviously Adobe agreed. It's like the old
                  Remington shaver commercial... "They liked it so much, they bought the
                  company" :-)

--
                  Lawrence Cramer *Adobe Community Ace*
                  Cartweaver.com

"SonoranSites" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:f08ks8$4n6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I have used FW & DW for years & I have found FW to be a great easy way to
                  >work
                  > with web graphics.
                  >
                  > Several years ago I bought PS CS just to learn what it was about. I found
                  > the
                  > Image Ready software to be very difficult to learn & a very poor
                  > alternative to
                  > FW.
                  >
                  > Now that FW CS3 & PS CS3 are speaking to each I have several questions:
                  >
                  > Do I need both?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: FW CS3 vs. PS CS3
                    toulouse2k Level 1
                    I'll add my bit by saying that I use both PS and FW...always have. I use PS for getting the image ready and then export it full resolution into FW, where I refine it and ready it for the web. I'm glad that Adobe sees this value and kept both programs and emphasized their strengths. I must say I'm crazy about both PS CS3 and FW CS3.

As a side note, I have to say that my Adobe folder on my hard drive is almost as big as the rest of the Program folders put together. I hope it doesn't reach a critical mass.