2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 2:05 PM by Todd_Kopriva

23.976 Quicktime exports one frame short

joelski75

Hi,

I'm having a recurring problem with 23.976 fps exports missing the last frame of any comp. I'm working with prores 4444 files shot at 23.976, comp settings also 23.976, footage interpreted correctly at 23.976. When I export to quicktime in any codec at 23.976 the exported clip is one frame short.

This isn't a framerate issue as far as I can tell as all previous frames match the original footage, also an image sequence export will produce the correct number of frames. It's just not exporting the last frame. Is anyone else having this problem?

Obviously the workaround is to extend every comp by a frame before render, or always render an image sequence, but as I'm working on a show with an extremely high number of shots to turnaround and all have to be imported back into the edit at Avid DNX36 offline codec quality, this seems like a much more time consuming (and storage space consuming!) solution to what is an obvious glitch.

Can anyone help? A solution will save me weeks of time over the coming six months!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: 23.976 Quicktime exports one frame short
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

It's probably just a counting error.  AE, like many applications that work with video, begins with frame ZERO, not frame one.

Count the number of digits in the following list: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.  Even though the highest value is nine, the number of digits is ten.  Thus, in AE, close to one second of 23.976 fps video is contained in frames 00-23, and not 00-24... which would be twenty-FIVE frames.

• 2. Re: 23.976 Quicktime exports one frame short
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you actually missing the last frame of image information, or---as Dave suggests---are you just expecting the last frame's timecode to be a different one than the one that you are seeing? I just did a quick test, and I'm getting the last frame from my composition in my output movies when going out to 23.976fps QuickTime movies.