• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two questions about the logistics of PDF for review...

Participant ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi experts. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the RH feature "Create PDF for Review". I've come across a couple concerns...

1. The instructions say that the source RH files shouldn't be edited/altered while a PDF document of the same material is out for review. This is understandable from a synchronizing perspective. But I'm wondering if any of you think it's a non-starter that the source material is locked. I often can't wait for people to return comments, even by a requested deadline, before making edits. This is my first foray into RH docs, and right now I'm more inclined to use cut-and-paste-in-emails to request and receive doc comments.
  2. For those of you who do use the feature, and use the shared PDF option, do you know of a service that will host the group-commentable PDFs? Adobe used to have a service for this, but it seems like it is no more. And our IT guy is super security conscious and is so far resistant to have a group-writable directory on one of our servers.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kurt Euler

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH? FM used to have the same issues about not messing with the source docs if the review PDF had been created, but that’s supposedly gotten better in FM12; RH may also have been done at that time too.

I’d suggest a file sharing site/service like Dropbox or Google’s drive thing or MS’s OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I believe your right that FM12 no longer is sensitive to changed source code. RH11 (my version) displays a warning that that the source shouldn't be messed with during the review period.

Hmmm, I'll have to look into the Dropbox or similar service. My sense is that supporting a file sharing service is something that the PDF review mechanism needs to be designed to support. I'll research this.

Thx again.

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp