5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 1:05 PM by ghijohansson

newbie question = correcting poor image

ghijohansson

My summer project is approaching its end and 10 % of the footage requires some improvements.

Since it will be time consuming for me to correct about 100 scenes I found it best to ask if somebody can suggest what is the quickest methodology.

I uploaded a video which includes 4 problematic scenes. 2 are too dark, 1 is to bright and 1 has the wrong color. As you can see, I have tested different methods and one method may give the best result in one case, another alternative may give the best result for another scene.

http://vimeo.com/103357534

I film in AVCHD 2,0 PAL interlaced = 1920*1080 50i, 24 megabit per second. So the footage should have enough of information for some basic corrections.

I have no possibility to watch my videos on a television receiver while I do the editing, because I edit on a laptop since I am moving around. So in practice I don't see the quality of the result until afterwards when I export a file.

I am involved in "community media" so the final movie must have colors which are "safe for broadcast".

• 1. Re: newbie question = correcting poor image
          ghijohansson Level 1

OK, nobody can tell which is the fastest methodology when I correct poor footage. But can somebody please tell which correction methods are best to avoid flicker? And as I wrote, I need colors which are "safe for broadcast".

• 2. Re: newbie question = correcting poor image
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? From the point of view of "Broadcast Safe Colors", Premiere Elements does not have a way to assure that as far as I know. From what I have read programs like Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects do. However the following thread makes one wonder if any such possibility does exist in Premiere Elements via the "Matrix Coefficients" as mentioned by a Premiere Elements user in the following Adobe Premiere Elements Forum thread.

Re: Network Safe Colors

Sound like this user was referring to something like

Premiere Elements 11 or 12, Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality.

MatrixCo.jpg

You put both of us at a disadvantage by not giving full details of the program that you are working in. I am guessing that you are probably using version 11 or 12.

If so, you go with what work for the particular footage. This is not Photoshop Elements where you can select areas within an image to which to apply the type of adjustment that you seek.

You could experiment with the Effects Mask (actually apply more than one Effects Mask per image), but managing edges of the masked area can be unsuccessful. But, the deal breaker for you and Premiere Elements is probably its no "Broadcast Safe Feature" to assure than the RGB values do not exceed 235 which I have seen mentioned as the cut off point for Broadcast Safe. There are adjusts that can be made under the Adjust Tab/, and effects that can be applied under fx effects.

If you are indeed using Premiere Elements 11 or 12, Expert workspace, Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded to find the Anti-Flicker Filter slider.

ATR

• 3. Re: newbie question = correcting poor image
              ghijohansson Level 1

Thanks for answering.

I use PE 12 with Windows 8.1.

OK; i see,  colors at most 235. I hope it will be no problem because I only need to correct what is wrong.

About using some more professional program to ensure the color is safe for broadcast.  The best strategy is probably if I ask somebody who has a professional program, import it on that computer, and if the color is too extreme, then export a new file with corrected colors. Telling the computer what to do should take just one minute, and exporting a new file would then simply require some patience.

• 4. Re: newbie question = correcting poor image
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like a viable plan of action. Hope it works for you.

ATR

• 5. Re: newbie question = correcting poor image
                  ghijohansson Level 1

Well, I should thank you instead of you thanking me.

Today I have started to correct part of my problematical footage. And continued to think about what to do.

235 is the maximum numerical value which is safe for broadcast. But what maximum numerial value has the color in video which is actually recorded by a camcorder? I mean, how much room is there for correction?

Can Windows MovieMaker or some freeware tell if my colors are safe for broadcast?

One way to avoid extreme colors should be to use PE 12 to create a matte. I mean, make areas with extreme colors transparent, and then put the original footage beneath it. But would this work in practice?

As far as I can see from the manual, vibrance can be used (but not saturation) without any risk for colors which are too extreme. Or do I misunderstand?

Extremely overexposed areas means pure white, which is a combination of 255 for red, 255 for green and 255 for blue. Does this mean that pure white is not safe for broadcast? Or does this mean that it is the net color which matters?

PE 12 have options for "auto correct". Does this always give colors which are safe for broadcast?

Correcting overexposed areas means to decrease the numerical value for colors. Should be safe, or do I misunderstand?

In dark areas there is little color, so even doubling the color should not give any extreme color. Would this be safe for broadcast?

Chromakey backgrounds have extreme color, and chromakeying may fail, resulting in some pixels with the color of the chromakey background. But I have the impression that such videos are broadcast, so the color should be safe for broadcast. Or do I misunderstand?

And any suggestion for minimizing the risk for flicker?