10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2014 7:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Saved Version lost

vroemvriend

I was working on a holiday film and I saw that the program automatically saved the film on sertain periods. At one time I got the message that there was a problem with Adobe Premiere Elements and that the program hat to shut down. After re-opening the program, all the work I did already was gone.

Can I recapture the automatticly saved version somewhere ?

Another problem I never had before, if I deleted a scene, the next scene doesn't take the position of the deleted scene and a black period comes between the 2 scenes, This black "hole" is very dificult to remove, if somebody nows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me.

Kind regards

Marc

• 1. Re: Saved Version lost
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will have to check your program preferences to find the folder where autosave project files are stored, and you MAY then be able to open an older project

• 2. Re: Saved Version lost
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Marc

Details needed to give you the appropriate and full answer to all your questions.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. Without further details, I will assume Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

In this case, you should find your AutoSaves in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave folder in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/number of version (if you setup for default locations).

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Saving and backing up projects

3. There will be as many "snapshots" of your project at timed intervals as you or the project set in preferences. Find the latest AutoSave file, right click it, select Open With, and the name of your Premiere Elements version.

Where are you working -  in the Timeline or Sceneline workspace (version earlier than 11) or Expert or Quick workspace (if version 11 or 12)?

Are you using the Delete and Close Gap command? If you are in a workspace with tracks, is there any content in tracks above or below the files where you end up with a gap that is not closing?

We will be watching for your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Saved Version lost
              vroemvriend Level 1

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply.

My version is what you assumed, Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1

I’ve tried the auto save folder, but the latest file in there is of 10 august, nothing found for 13 august.

If I open Premiere Elements, than I can select “open recent project” and then I find the file “”automatic saved …” with the file of 13 aug.

as I try to open the latest file however, I become a message that says “Fault, This file can not supported or required CODEC is not installed”

I’m working in the Quick Workspace (version 12)

If I make a “cut” in the scen, I then select the scene to be removed and press delete, not delete and close gap, because then the whole scene disapearse …

No contents above or below, just a blank spot between the scenes.

Could it be that I’m “overloading” the program ? I mean that I submit all the film I’ve made of our holiday, and then I start to work with it. I start to beleive that I better submit the scenes per day instead of the whole 2 weeks no ?

Hope to hear something from you soon.

Thanks anyway for your help so far …

Regards

Marc

Van: A.T. Romano

Verzonden: woensdag 13 augustus 2014 23:40

Aan: marc staes

Saved Version lost

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion 

Marc

Details needed to give you the appropriate and full answer to all your questions.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. Without further details, I will assume Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

In this case, you should find your AutoSaves in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave folder in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/number of version (if you setup for default locations).

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Saving and backing up projects

3. There will be as many "snapshots" of your project at timed intervals as you or the project set in preferences. Find the latest AutoSave file, right click it, select Open With, and the name of your Premiere Elements version.

Where are you working -  in the Timeline or Sceneline workspace (version earlier than 11) or Expert or Quick workspace (if version 11 or 12)?

Are you using the Delete and Close Gap command? If you are in a workspace with tracks, is there any content in tracks above or below the files where you end up with a gap that is not closing?

We will be watching for your details.

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6638126#6638126

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 4. Re: Saved Version lost
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Marc

As for overloading the project....

What is your project preset (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.

What are you including in the scene spots of the filmstrip of the Premiere Elements 12 Quick workspace

pictures - pixel dimensions and how many

video - formats, how many, duration of each

total duration of the Timeline

How much is on the Timeline when the crash happens?

As for your only sighting of your lost project, you wrote

If I open Premiere Elements, than I can select “open recent project” and then I find the file “”automatic saved …” with the file of 13 aug.

as I try to open the latest file however, I become a message that says “Fault, This file can not supported or required CODEC is not installed”

What is the path to that project file (project.prel) shown when you have your mouse cursor on Open Recent Project and what is the file name shown in that path? Go to that location to view the actual project file (project.prel). While at that location, check for AutoSaves. AutoSaves usually follow the path of the project file save.

As for

Another problem I never had before, if I deleted a scene, the next scene doesn't take the position of the deleted scene and a black period comes between the 2 scenes, This black "hole" is very difficult to remove, if somebody knows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me.

and

If I make a “cut” in the scene, I then select the scene to be removed and press delete, not delete and close gap, because then the whole scene disappears…

I am getting the message that you are working with a video within ONE of the scene spaces of the filmstrip.

When you say "cut" in the scene, I am assuming that you mean that you have cut the video at the position of the Timeline Indicator (where you want the cut) and hit the Delete key of the computer. I have gone through several scenarios on this, and, in each case, there is not black hole between the two filmstrip scene spaces involved. Let us see if the difference between us is related to the setting file. Delete the settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file)

and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Please review and consider.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Please consider working in the Expert rather than Quick workspace. In Expert you can see better what is going on and thus have more control over the project.

• 5. Re: Saved Version lost
                  vroemvriend Level 1

hey ATR,

I’m sorry but I’m not an IT person and for me this looks all like Chinese ….

I also have to try to translate your questions in to Dutch, and that is not so easy in IT language you understand.

I’ll try to restart my whole project in the expert working space and add only one day at the time.

If I still have the same problems as befor, than maybe it’s better to remove the program complete from my laptop and install it again.

Thank you though for trying to help me.

Regards

Marc

Verzonden: donderdag 14 augustus 2014 20:13

Saved Version lost

Marc

What is your project preset (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.

What are you including in the scene spots of the filmstrip of the Premiere Elements 12 Quick workspace

What is the path to that project file (project.prel) shown when you have your mouse cursor on Open Recent Project and what is the file name shown in that path? Go to that location to view the actual project file (project.prel). While at that location, check for AutoSaves. AutoSaves usually follow the path of the project file save.

As for

Another problem I never had before, if I deleted a scene, the next scene doesn't take the position of the deleted scene and a black period comes between the 2 scenes, This black "hole" is very difficult to remove, if somebody knows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me.

and

If I make a “cut” in the scene, I then select the scene to be removed and press delete, not delete and close gap, because then the whole scene disappears…

I am getting the message that you are working with a video within ONE of the scene spaces of the filmstrip.

When you say "cut" in the scene, I am assuming that you mean that you have cut the video at the position of the Timeline Indicator (where you want the cut) and hit the Delete key of the computer. I have gone through several scenarios on this, and, in each case, there is not black hole between the two filmstrip scene spaces involved. Let us see if the difference between us is related to the setting file. Delete the settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file)

and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Please consider working in the Expert rather than Quick workspace. In Expert you can see better what is going on and thus have more control over the project.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6641008#6641008

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 6. Re: Saved Version lost
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Marc

Thanks for the reply.

I am not giving you any IT language, and what I have written should not be difficult to translate into any language. It is user to user details of what to consider and do to try to resolve your problem. Each of the points is valid and gives details required to understand it. It can work for you. I want you to succeed.

In spite of that and based on what you wrote,  I am losing you on the path. Please consider working with one point at a time in post numbered 4. In each case, please tell me where you do not understand what I am asking and where to find the answer.

As for the language differences between us....you seem to be communicating and writing your thoughts great into English.

I wish you well with your proposed troubleshooting. But, I would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance as described above when and if needed.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Saved Version lost
                      vroemvriend Level 1

OK AT

you convised me to try a little bit harder  

I make video with a Sony HD camcorder, and the files are made in M2TS

time base : 25 frames/sec

frame size : Hor. 1440 by vert. 1080

Pixel Aspect Ratio : HD Anamorf 1080

Don’t know what you mean here …

several shot of video scenes made with a Sony camcorder in M2TS - about 190 “scenes or clips” - duration from 5 seconds up to 50 seconds per scene

1 hour and 12 minutes

I made about 17 minutes of film

What is the path to that project file (project.prel) shown when you have your mouse cursor on Open Recent Project and what is the file name shown in that path?

Adobe prem. Eleme. automat. save …

Go to that location to view the actual project file (project.prel). While at that location, check for AutoSaves. AutoSaves usually follow the path of the project file save.

I see 3 Copies in that file of the last day, but when I try to open the last one,

I receive following message :

It says : This type of file is not supported or the recommended codec is not installed

I think that’s it for what I can tell you, if I, at some point, didn’t tell you what ou ment, than please try to explane in a different way what you need  

Best regards

Marc

Verzonden: donderdag 14 augustus 2014 20:13

Saved Version lost

Marc

As for

and

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Thank you.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6641008#6641008

• 8. Re: Saved Version lost
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Marc

Thank you for the reply and the opportunity to help you with your Premiere Elements projects.

It is very important to setup the project correctly so let us start there.

Part 1. Setting Up The Project For Your Specific Video

1. From what you wrote, your video uses AVCHD video compression and has a .m2ts file extension. This video came from a Sony HD camcorder.

It is important to know the properties of what you are going to edit.

From what you wrote

AVCHD (video compression for the file)

.m2ts (file extension for the video file)

frame size and frame rate = 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second (sometimes shown as "50i" which is the same thing but 50i

= 50 fields per second).

2. You are going to set the project preset (project's project settings) yourself. You are not going to let the program do it for you.

a. Open the Premiere Elements 12 project to the Expert workspace

b. Go to File Menu/New/Project. You should then see the following with the new project dialog facing you.

1.JPG

Click on the Change Settings button in the new project dialog to see the following. In the Change Settings dialog, change the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080i25

as shown in the screenshot immediately below, and then and the press OK at the bottom of the Change Settings dialog.

Capture.JPG

When you click OK to the Change Settings dialog, you will see the following showing you that new project dialog again.

The new project dialog now list the PAL AVCHD HD1080i25 project preset you just set. Before you click OK in that

new project dialog

a. make sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project"....also name the project so

that it will be easy for you to find by its name....in the Save In: field, set to save the project file in the default location in the

12.0 Folder, that is, Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

b. wherever you save the project file, that is where the AutoSaves will be found.

3.JPG

Click OK in the new project dialog.

Go back to the Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and make sure all the Scratch Disks

are pointed to Same As Project. This way the project file and its associated files will all be going to the same place.

(I am assuming that you have enough free hard drive space on the Local Disc C of the computer.)

In Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave, disable the AutoSave. What I want you to do instead, every 10 minutes during your editing, I want you to click the Save button at the top right of the Expert workspace. Save is to the right of the project name which here is Marc Project.prel.

SaveButton.jpg

Next import your video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, drag your video

from Project Assets to the Timeline, and start editing.

Please review. Do you have any problems understanding what I have written? Have you done all that before

when you started your project that you are now having problem with?

In the above, I have taken AutoSave away and replaced it with you keeping your project file saved/up to date every 10 minutes.

If that does not work, we can always go back to AutoSave. But, since AutoSave did not save you last time, I thought we might

have a better chance as I have described.

It is very important that you go through every word that I have written and let me know if you understand what I have written.

After that, then the big question is "Does this all work for you?"

Thank you for looking at the troubleshooting suggestions.

ATR

• 9. Re: Saved Version lost
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marc

Also see Part 1 in posted numbered 8.

Now for post 9......

Part 2.

Another problem I never had before, if I deleted a scene, the next scene doesn't take the position of the deleted scene and a black period comes between the 2 scenes, This black "hole" is very dificult to remove, if somebody nows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me.

Could you post a screenshot of the situation when you have this black hole which is difficult to remove from your work?

ATR

• 10. Re: Saved Version lost
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

marc

Part 3. Recovery of Problem Project

This part will deal with recovering your project and/or parts of it that appeared lost when you first posted.

Please let me know if you want me to go into a step by step on this or if you are going forward starting a new project?

Lots to do.

Please read and do one at a time - referring to posts numbered 8, 9, and now 10.

I hesitated about posting all at the same time. But, in case you got back to your thread ahead of me, I wanted to have something for you to

think about and work on.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR