6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 4:45 PM by Peter Spier

CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze

John Boyden Level 1

I'm working on a 4 page document.  On page one, a couple of lines have "frozen" thus blocking me from editing them.  The rest of the page is fine.  Any ideas on how to "unfreeze" those lines?

• 1. Re: CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are they in a separate frame? If so, open the Layers panel and see if the frame is locked, if the layer is locked, or perhaps they are on the master page.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze
            John Boyden Level 1

I checked the Layers panel and saw nothing locked.  I also checked the master page and saw nothing abnormal.  However, I got thinking about the master page, so I selected the page number and added a page 5 to the page number.  Then, I inserted a new blank page as number one.  Then, I copied the normal stuff from my problem page and pasted it into the new blank page.  Then, I deleted the page with the abnormal stuff and went back to the master page and changed the number of pages back to four.  That did the trick and the problem is no more.  I'm giving you a correct answer because, without your guidance in where to look, I would never have stumbled onto the pragmatic solution.  Thinking about the master page did the trick.  Thanks.  I love this forum.  I couldn't do half of what I do if I didn't have you geniuses to rely on.  I mean that very sincerely.  I'm not a frequent visitor, but when I do visit, I really need it!

• 3. Re: CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze

I've marked it helpful instead of correct (not sure you have that ability in this version of Jive). In any case, glad it's solved.

• 4. Re: Re: CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze
                John Boyden Level 1

I don't seem to have that "helpful" capability, but I do see HELPFUL in one of your boxes.  What I am now about to say is a new difficulty regarding the same problem, but feel free to separate it if you believe it should be a new thread.

After our last messages, I went happily on my way and then came back to the same InDesign document we've been discussing.  Now, on the "new" page two, I am getting the same problem where I can't access the text, but this time it involves the entire page!  Last time, it was a few lines in page one.  I deleted that page after copying and pasting the "good stuff" from the old page one into a new page.  So this new problem is definitely not the same page as before.  It doesn't even involve the old text that I copied and pasted into the "new" page.  That text is doing well.

When I open the Pages window, it says at the bottom "4 pages in 4 spreads."  That is how I originally set things up, but I then "connected" the pages by clicking on the little box at the lower right and connecting it to the little box on the upper left of the subsequent page.  The reason I started with four separate spreads is that I obtained the text from a scanned image file (.tiff).  I had an old document that I wanted to update but I didn't have it on my computer and I didn't want to type it word for word, so I scanned it and then did OCR using an app from the Apple App Store (Text Extractor).  The OCR results came out one page at a time.  I then copied, pasted and corrected each new text page into an InDesign page that was not directly connected to the other three pages.  (Yes, I now wish I had just typed it, but I also wanted to expand my ability to do stuff with InDesign.  It is my very favorite way to produce good looking documents.)  At this point, I'm out of ideas.  Also, I worry that there may be an issue with InDesign and that I should re-install it.  I'm hesitant to do that because it is such an arduous task to install the Creative Suite 4 and I'm also wondering if Adobe has put any time limits on my ability to reinstall.

One more thing:  I haven't constructed new setups for InDesign for over two years due to an injury that I suffered.  This is my first run at it, although I have been using the other setups with very little modification during my convalescence.  I was unable to do a lot of work and therefore had no need.  Now that I'm back to work, I do feel a bit rusty, so that may be a contributing factor in my difficulty.  I'd appreciate your comment.  The main issues to me is whether I need to reinstall or whether there is some other way to fix this problem.  I can still reinstall from the original DVDs that I purchased.  I honestly don't remember whether I bought it as an upgrade, but it is likely that I did because I bought Pagemaker followed by Creative Suite Premium and then CS4.  I still have all those boxes and contents, but if Adobe put a time limit on it, that could be a problem.

• 5. Re: Re: CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze

At this point I don't have enough information to do more than speculate. If you'll let me look at the file I can probably tell you a lot more. I'm sending you an upload link..

• 6. Re: Re: CS4 InDesign a few lines freeze

For lurkers, John sent me the file and it turned out it had a few empty threaded frames stacked on top of the one with the text.