7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2017 7:28 AM by jakes5294272

Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12

JayWayne Level 1

When I enter the editing screen for pan and zoom it shows a different media clip then the one I originally selected.  When I click 'play output' it shows the clip I originally selected but then when I exit preview it then shows a different media clip in the editing screen.  Anyone know why its doing this or what I'm doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jaywayne

Pan and zoom effect with Premiere Elements 12 Pan And Zoom Tool for stills or videos or both?

Details.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 working on? Have you updated from 12 to 12.1 Update via an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

If you have your still on the Timeline selected and you go to Tools Menu/Pan And Zoom, the Pan and Zoom workspace will open with that specific Timeline selection. And, after you have applied/created your pan and zoom effect there, the Play Output will display your pan and zoom effect before you click the Done button. After you hit the Done button, the project goes back to the Expert workspace. The file is changed from the original in that

a. it now has a pan and zoom effect applied

and

b. the duration of the pan and zoom file on the Expert workspace Timeline is greater than before the pan and zoom effect was applied.

Do you ever see the above when working with one of your still images? Are you reporting on use of feature with stills and videos or just one or the other?

If you are not seeing the above still results, then

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Assuming you are working on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, if that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Please review the above and then we will work on troubleshooting strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

• 2. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
            JayWayne Level 1

I am running windows 8 on a Dell desktop XPS 8700 with 24 gigs of Ram, i7 processor and a 256 SSD.  I did install the update.  I am trying to do the pan and zoom primarily on videos.  But like I said, when I am in the pan and zoom editing page, I see the first and last frames located down at the bottom (of the clip I selected for pan and zoom), but the main image shows a different video clip then the one I selected on the timeline originally.  If I hit the test button it shows the applied pan and zoom to the correct clip, but when I exit the preview mode it shows a different clip in the pan and zoom editing tool (the originally selected clip's first and last frame are still located down at the bottom).  Another issue I notice is that when I first start up the software and select choose an existing project, no matter which existing project I select it takes me to a new project...then I have to hit open recent project once its loaded.  I tried deleting the file & folder you suggested but that didn't fix the issue.  I also uninstalled the software completely and reinstalled it only to have the same issues still present. 

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JayWayne

Thanks for the reply.

So what we have is Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 8 64 bit.

At this point, do you have a trouble free path if you bypass the Welcome Screen and open directly to the Expert workspace where you select File Menu/Open Project/and then select the saved closed project.prel that you want to open? We can setup the program to open directly to the Premiere Elements Editor and bypass that Welcome Screen if need be. More on that later.

And, on the other front, it is important to know if you can consistently apply the pan and zoom effect to a still, if not a video, with the Pan and Zoom tool. The answer will give us perspective in the troubleshooting.

Have you installed the program to the default location on the computer C drive and is the computer C drive that 256 GB SSD?

I will be back soon. I am preparing an example of what I think that you may be misinterpreting with regard to using the Pan and Zoom Tool for video versus stills.

So, even more important if you can tel me if still is working for this Pan and Zoom Tool feature.

ATR

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
                JayWayne Level 1

I understand how the pan and zoom should work.  I took a couple screen shots to illustrate the problem I'm having.  First I select a clip from the timeline and click on Tools/Pan and Zoom then it takes me to the pan and zoom page.  The bottom part of the screen shows me the first and last frame of the clip I selected to edit

Adobe_Error1.jpg

The problem is, the big middle part of the screen (where you actually set where the pan and zoom will start and end) does not show the same clip I selected...as you can see below the big picture is not the same as the small pictures on the bottom

Adobe_Error2.jpg

This particular video clip was originally 2 timelapses that I put together with gopro software and edited so that one clip has both timelapses (these 2 timelapses that I put together into one clip is a video file).  When I imported the video file containing the 2 timelapses into Adobe Premiere I then take the cut feature and split the video file on the timeline into 2 different clips.  Then I select one of the clips (which is now just 1 timelapse) and choose the pan and zoom feature.  The screen shots above illustrates my problem, the big picture in the screen should match the clip illustrated by the 2 squares at the bottom of the screen (which are the 1st and last frame of the clip I originally selected)...instead the big picture shows an earlier part of the original video file that I had since cut on the timeline into 2 different clips.  If I click the preview button it shows me the correct clip (the clip shown in the bottom 2 squares) being edited, but when I exit preview mode it puts a different clip on the main part of the pan and zoom page (making it harder to judge where I want my pan and zoom to end before actually clicking the preview button).  I may end up having to put together a video and add it to this thread to show exactly what is going wrong.  Its just that I like to have one long video file of footage that has been clipped together from a bunch of different videos to start my real video editing process with, but the Adobe software is giving me problems after I re-split the video file on the timeline after the fact.  Does this all make sense?  Or do I need to make a video to explain it? 

It should be noted that if I take a single video file (say from my canon) that has not been previously edited or clipped together with another video flie, the software doesn't give me issues in what it shows on the pan and zoom edit page.  It seems to be only giving me these problems with video flies that have more than one clip previously edited together (as shown in the above pictures). 

Thanks for your help

• 5. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JayWayne

I have been working to put together a blog post with graphics on the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool and applying the pan and zoom effect to a video with this tool. It is almost ready. I was going to post a "coming soon" message this morning to let you know I was still working on this, and got detoured.

In the blog post, I hope to address each of the steps as it relates to where you are having issues. My goal is for us to compare notes to see if we can reconcile the differences between us.

ATR

• 6. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

JayWayne

Your post and its screenshots (post numbered 4) were very helpful to my better understanding of your Pan and Zoom Tool workspace issue.

If your problem starts with what is represented there and not afterward as I had thought, then consider....

The Pan and Zoom Feature pre-creates the first two focus frames/thumbnails that you see in the bin below the screen in the Pan and Zoom workspace.

In the case of a video to be panned and zoomed. The first represents the first frame of the video and the second the last frame of the video.

You know that already.

First impression, sounds like a settings file issue.You have tried to re-set the setting files by deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the 12.0 Folder in which it exists. That did not solve the problem.

However, you seem to get into the Pan and Zoom workspace OK with everything showing there initially as expected (screen-wise and bin-wise).

If you move the Timeline Indicator in the blue bar under the monitor to the right to show the view that you are seeing in the monitor (post 4/2nd screenshot) and then hit New Frame, what is in the thumbnail that is generated between the first and last one that were pre-created by the program and placed in the bin as your starters?

You might also want to explore the results after you open the Pan and Zoom workspace and remove the two feature pre-created focus frames and build from there.

This morning I published the Pan and Zoom Tool/Video Pan and Zoom blog post, suspecting that you were having problems with the how to details.

Please review it anyway...just in case.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12/12.1: Pan and Zoom Tool and Video File

I would still would like to know if you have problems using a still in this Pan and Zoom Tool.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Pan and Zoom issue in Premier 12
                      jakes5294272 Level 1

I'm having the exact same issue 3 years later.

I'll try to articulate it as precisely as I can. Please read everything, before drawing any conclusions, cheers.

Clip A= What I want to edit with Pan and Zoom

Clip B= What I don't want to edit with Pan and Zoom

I select clip A enter Pan and Zoom, the display shows a frame from clip B:

-While I'm selecting a specific frame using the 'time slider' bellow the footage window, it scrolls through clip B

-While I'm using the Pan and Zoom tools, it shows clip B

-When I press play, it plays Clip A

-When I click preview it shows clip A with the adjustments I made while it showed me frames from clip B

-When I save the edit, it makes the changes to clip A

So I tried deleting clip B altogether, saving and reloading the project so clip B should even exist. But all of the above remains true.

To use a clip to make adjustments to another seems way too much of a bespoke setting to be default. I know I haven't adjusted anything, so logically, this is likely a fault. And given that the same symptoms have shown up 32 months apart, I'd conclude an uncommon fault. But one that I really need a resolution for.

Cheers guys,