23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2016 9:19 AM by Jao vdL

Resizing Image in Lightroom

Jushe16

Good Morning

I recently took pictures of a friend's new baby with my Canon t3i, 50 mm lens. They would like to create a 5 x 7 birth announcement on Shutterfly, but the picture is being cutoff. I have tried changing the dimensions, long-edge, etc. in Lightroom when exporting but nothing is working. Would love some help trying to figure this out! '

Jen

• 1. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

To get a 5x7 print, you must first crop the photo in Lightroom to a 5x7 aspect ratio. After that, you would export using the proper image sizing settings, so for example width of 1500 pixels and height of 2100 pixels (that's 300 pixels per inch) ought to work.

• 2. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
            Jushe16 Level 1

Great thank you I see how to do that, however, now my picture is getting cut off. Is there a way to crop it but also zoom out so I don't lose part of my picture?

• 3. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

If your picture is not 5x7 aspect ratio (most cameras produce a 4x6 aspect ratio image), there is no possible way to print the photo at 5x7 without trimming (cropping) some of the photo. It is impossible to print a photo that is not 5x7 aspect ratio as a 5x7 print "so I don't lose part of my picture". Either you crop the photo, or the printer will crop it for you. (Actually there is one alternative: expanding or compressing the photo, which distorts the image, and you won't like the results). This is not a Lightroom statement, this is just plain old geometry, and all photographic softwares behave this way.

• 4. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                tmats141

I understand your explanation (I am likewise confused on how to resize without losing part of an image) but is there a way in lightroom to change the aspect ration and add white space to the top or side of the frame in order to maintain the aspect ratio without having part of the image cut off? I have a family photo taken from Nikon D810 and want to print on 8x10, when I export and upload to print service my image is cropped. I see that compressing the image will distort it, but I have seen images with the white space to preserve the aspect ration but maintain the entire image.

• 5. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                  Abambo Level 4

LR does not allow for adding canvas using the crop tool. Photoshop does. If you have access to Photoshop, easiest is to do this in PS. As a workaround you could use the print module of LR. But here you have limited possibilities to adjust. But may be that's enough for your use.

• 6. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can "reposition" the image using the LR Crop tool in the Develop module. Hit the R key to open the Crop tool, select 5x7 Aspect, place the cursor on the image, hold down the left mouse key, and drag the image to position it inside the 5x7 crop. Then click 'Done' and Export the file. Crop an image | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

tmats141 wrote:

is there a way in lightroom to change the aspect ration and add white space to the top or side of the frame in order to maintain the aspect ratio without having part of the image cut off?

Yes, you can do this using the Print module and then in the Print Job panel select 'Print To' JPEG file. The image will have small white border at the top and bottom. It will require learning how to use the print module: Print photos from Lightroom

tmats141 wrote:

I have a family photo taken from Nikon D810 and want to print on 8x10.

If you don't want to crop the image you can order 8x12 prints. 8"x12"Frames are available: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=node%3D1063286&field-keywords=8x12&rh=n%3A10 63286%2Ck%3A8x12

• 7. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

You didn't state what version of Lightroom you are using but in Lightroom CC2015.6.1 you CAN add white space to an image in the Lightroom DEVELOP module.  In the TRANSFORM section, use a  SCALE of less than 100 to add white space all around the image.   Then go back to the crop tool to crop to the 8X10 aspect with white space on the sides.  SCALE might be in earlier versions but it will be in the LENS CORRECTION section as Lightroom has recently added the Transform section.

• 8. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

Great idea Bob! The Scale slider can be adjusted with the Crop tool open and set to the desired Aspect ratio. This allows you to see the effect of the Scale control real-time as you adjust it. There is a slight loss of image resolution, but that will have no impact on small print sizes (5x7 and 8x10).

• 9. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                          Bob Somrak Level 5

I didn't realize the scale slider could be active during the CROP.  I would do this in Photoshop but its nice to know it can be done in Lightroom.

• 10. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I like the answer from Feierwoon- "As a workaround you could use the print module of LR"

This will allow you to position the image in any way on the 5x7" 'canvas'

1. Select the image, open the Print module, Single Image/Contact Sheet

2. Choose a 5x7" paper in Printer Setup

3. Remove tick from "Zoom to Fill" Adjust cell size and margins to position image.

4. In [Print Job] panel select "Print to:  = JPEG File"

5. [Print to File...] to save the JPG for printing at a lab.

(Also allows you to add a message or text as an Identity Plate)

• 11. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                              Bob Somrak Level 5

I prefer the other part of Feierwoons answer,  USE PHOTOSHOP. I would never try to add a border to fit a 2x3 aspect photo in a 8x10 aspect frame anyway.

The scale method is less complicated than the print module method and also allows you to position the photo on the canvas during crop but you do lose resolution.

• 12. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                                tmats141 Level 1

Great suggestions! thanks everyone for weighing in, you have all helped immensely.

• 13. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

wobertc wrote:

5. [Print to File...] to save the JPG for printing at a lab.

Shame we can't also pick TIFF. Big engineering? The Export command can do this, why not here in Print?

• 14. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Shame we can't also pick TIFF

Agreed.!

I have added the suggestion at 'feedback\Photoshop....' Print to: | Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 15. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                                      Bob Somrak Level 5

Thanks for posting the request on the feedback forum.  I added a  plus vote and comment

• 16. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                                        Abambo Level 4

Me too, I would never use the print module for this. I had to try it, before suggesting the workaround. But if you are a LR6 user without Photoshop, the print module is a solution.

• 17. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom
                                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Agreed here too. I have asked for this for years. you can work around this jpg limitation on Mac OSX (or when you have acrobat on Windows) by printing to a pdf (you can even do 16 bit!) and opening the pdf in Photoshop, rendering it at the resolution and color space as you set In the print panel. The print panel makes it easy to make quick triptychs and such, much easier than Photoshop, but the jpeg limitation hurts the implementation quite a bit. Never understood why this wasn't done right away as it has to go through an uncompressed stage before generating the jpeg anyway.

• 18. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

Jao vdL wrote:

you can work around this jpg limitation on Mac OSX (or when you have acrobat on Windows) by printing to a pdf (you can even do 16 bit!) and opening the pdf in Photoshop, rendering it at the resolution and color space as you set In the print panel.

Jao how what Acrobat Distiller settings are you using to output a 16-bit/color PDF from the LR Print module? I tried numerous settings and the file size is ~1/2 that of the same size TIFF created using the Export module or PS with 16-bit color selected. This would indicate to me that the output is 8-bit/color. I'm using Acrobat X Pro on Windows 7.

• 19. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

I use the native print mechanism in Mac OS X, not distiller. I was just assuming distiller on Windows could do the same thing. On Mac OS X the printing backbone is all based on pdf so it can just intercept the data stream and write it to a file. If distiller can't do this all the more reason we need tiff output.

• 20. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

Just tested it to make sure I wasn't misremembering but indeed using the native print mechanism on Mac OS X, you can get 16-bit tiff to be included in the pdf by simply selecting "save as pdf ..." in the print dialog. This is easy to see from the file size but also by opening the pdf in Photoshop and selecting "images" in the open dialog. The latter will get you the images in the native format they are included in the pdf file. I can't figure out a way to get distiller to do it. It always downsamples to 8 bits no matter how I set up the pdf options. I'd imagine it must be possible but I just can't figure it out.

• 21. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

I'm using Window 7 native print as well. I suspect Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 will have the same 8-bit/color output since Windows added support for 16-bit printing in Vista.

Is the LR 16-bit/color TIFF Export close to the same file size as the LR Print to Adobe PDF file? Here's what I'm seeing:

• 22. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

Looks like we cross-posted.

Jao vdL wrote:

This is easy to see from the file size but also by opening the pdf in Photoshop and selecting "images" in the open dialog. The latter will get you the images in the native format they are included in the pdf file.

Yep, when I select 'Images' the LR PDF file opens in PS as 8-bit/color. All the more reason for Adobe to add TIFF Print Job output support. Thanks for clarifying!

• 23. Re: Resizing Image in Lightroom

This is what I get for file sizes. The exports were more or less the same image size as the print layout.

shot.jpg

Clearly the file sizes are consistent within error. The pdf that went through distiller (high quality print setting) is similar to the 8 bits file and indeed when opened in PS it is 8 bits. The 16 bits pdf generated by the OS X native driver is indeed 16 bits as this is what I see in Photoshop when opening it in "images" mode: It is prophotoRGB as I had the print panel setup "managed by printer".

16bits.jpg

Also when I just open the pdf in a text editor, I can see this on one of the lines describing the image:

/ColorSpace 10 0 R /Intent /Perceptual /BitsPerComponent 16 /Filter /FlateDecode

So this works well in Mac OS X but not really on windows with distiller.