5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 1:45 PM by A.T. Romano

In v.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen? I tell it to, but the program keeps burning to widescreen.

Rodney1947 Level 1

In V.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen?  I have told it to, but it keeps burning to widescreen.

• 1. Re: In v.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen? I tell it to, but the program keeps burning to widescreen.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Full Screen of what player?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on. Information needed in case we have to get into computer specific details. But for now...assuming you have a NTSC setup....

When you burn your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, you have two choices (neither is user adjustable)

NTSC Dolby DVD  (720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second)

NTSC _Widescreen_Dolby DVD (720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second - when stretched by the 16:9 flag 856 x 480)

The rest is up to the settings of your player. So back to the original question to you...Full Screen of what player?

We will be watching for your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: In v.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen? I tell it to, but the program keeps burning to widescreen.
            Rodney1947 Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

I am using Windows 7, and burning to NTSC Dolby DVD (or at least, trying

to).  I always

choose that option, but it always still burns to widescreen.  This

happens no matter what

the subject matter: slideshow or movie.

That's full-screen on a TV.  I have customers who don't have a

widescreen TV and want

their DVDs to show full-screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: I have just upgraded from v.3 to v.11. (New computer)  V.3 never

gave me this

problem.

• 3. Re: In v.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen? I tell it to, but the program keeps burning to widescreen.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

I may have the answer. Let us see.

This is what I want you to do, assuming that your source video is 720 x 480 4:3.

Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard.

Before leaving that area, in the new project dialog, make sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then close out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, go to Add Media/Files and Folders to import your source media into the project to the Project Assets.

From Project Assets, drag the source media to the Timeline. Make sure that the Timeline content plays back as a perfect fit in the Edit area monitor.

When it comes time to burn that Timeline to DVD-VIDEO Standard on a DVD disc, go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and make sure

that the preset = NTSC_Dolby DVD.

You cannot get DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc under those conditions.

I will give you all the background information on this next. Let us see how this works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: In v.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen? I tell it to, but the program keeps burning to widescreen.
                Rodney1947 Level 1

That did the trick!  Thank you!

I have printed out your instructions, assuming that if I get a customer

who wants

their DVD in widescreen, I can just undo what you have provided me.

Now, if I can just figure out how to capture 8mm movies from a projector

without

capturing any audio (the sound of the projector) without having to turn

off the

mic on the camera.

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: In v.11, how do I burn a DVD to full-screen? I tell it to, but the program keeps burning to widescreen.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney

Great news. Great job sorting through the details.

The core of your issue went to the differences between Premiere Elements 9 and 11 and its default project presets and how project preset is set.

Some of the factors are found

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Add to the mix, that the project preset directs the program to make certain settings (assumptions). So, if you have a HD project preset, you are going to see NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD set as the default in the burn dialog. I am guessing that you were letting the project control setting the Premiere Elements 11 project preset, and it was giving you its default NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 instead of NTSC DV Standard.

But the ground rules are

a. know the properties of your source media

b. set the project preset to match the properties of the source media (if the project does not do it right, then you set the project preset manually)

c. keep the export settings consistent with the other project settings.

I will spare you the rest of the details for now. Just know, please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR