7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 12:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage

blusnapper

I am using PE11.  When editing video I end up with lots of unwanted footage that I do not want to save.  I thought that by archiving the edited video it would remove the unwanted footage.  However it appears to save everything and I am rapidly running out of storage space.  Is there anyway to reduce the footage saved to the actual footage used in the edit?

• 1. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
          A.T. Romano Level 7

blusnapper

Project Archiver has two choices - Archive Project and Copy Project. From the sounds of it, you are using the Copy Project Option.

You might want to consider the Archive Project option instead. One of the differences between the Archive Project and Copy Project is that the Archive Project choice will give you only the project media that was dragged to the Timeline; whereas Copy Project will give you all the imported media in project media whether or not it was dragged to the Timeline.

For more details, please refer to

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

Please review, consider, and then we can discuss this further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
            blusnapper Level 1

ATR

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I am already using the project archiver in archive mode but it is not reducing the size of the file. The instructions in your link clearly states the project archiver creates a new trimmed clip with 30 frames (handles) before and after.  Am I misunderstanding its use?

This is the scenario.

I am shooting aerial video from a remote controlled aircraft typically producing a single 15 to 20 minute 4GB MP4 file.  I want to archive a 2 or 3 minute clip from this for use in other videos that I create.  When I use the project archiver in either archive or copy mode it still saves the full 4 GB file and not the 2 or 3 minute clip that I want.

I have just carried out a test to be sure.  I have taken a single 17 minute 3.66GB MP4 file and edited it down to 2 minutes removing all audio in the process.  I have then used the project archiver to archive and also copy the project.  It has created 2 folders, Trimmed_test 01 and Copied_test 01, both contain the full 3.66 GB file.  I am totally puzzled, I expected the trimmed folder to contain a much reduced size file.  I am clearly doing something wrong.

I can obviously produce a copy of the 2 minute clip but I have had little success in retaining the quality of the original footage.

Can you tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

• 3. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Lots of catch 22's in this one such as....

You need to save the project file with its source media since all you have are copies of the originals embedded in the project file. And, those copies need to trace back to the originals on the hard drive at the location where they were when you imported them into the project. So, the major perk Archive Project (Trimmed Folder) versus Copy Project (Copied Folder) is that Archive Project will copy only those original files whose copies are used on the project's Timeline; whereas Copy Project copies all the imported media whether they were used on the Timeline or not. See earlier links for description of these archived folders.

Whatever is on the Timeline track at time of archiving will be included in the archived folder with either choices. But, what is copied will trace back to hard drive whole originals.  Example...if you drag 4 jpgs to the Timeline and delete them before archiving, they will not appear in the archived folder. But, if you import a video and trim it and that trim is on the Timeline at time of archiving, then the whole video file, not just the project's trim, will be copied to the archived folder.

An important feature of trim on the Timeline is that the trimmed frames are not gone (just hidden). So, after you get that trim to the Timeline, you can drag at either end of it to recover the whole file on the Timeline. As it relates to the Trimmed Folder...what you get in the Trimmed Folder in this case

a. project file which has the embedded trim on its Timeline, and dragging on the edges of this trim can be used to recover the whole file on the Timeline

and

b. a copy of the whole video file from which the trim was derived.

So, it would appear that you need to set priorities as to whether you want to retain a project with its assets (Trimmed vs Copied) or export the Timeline to an intermediate video file for later processing. The export does not come with baggage unless you select an export that comes with a companion .xmp instructional file. If you need to discuss appropriate export settings in such a case, then please let me know.

If you have questions on what I have written or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
                blusnapper Level 1

ATR

Thank you for your time and patience. I have clearly misunderstood the use of the archive tool.

It appears, if I understand you correctly, that archiving the project will not reduce the size of the trimmed MP4 file on the timeline and my only option is to export an intermediate copy of the edited file.

If this is the case can you or anyone out there advise me on the best file format to save it so as to preserve as much of the original quality as possible allowing me to use the file in subsequent projects.?

• 5. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Thanks for the reply. We will need to know the details of the .mp4 that you have imported to the project's Timeline.

Example...If your source was

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second and used AVCHD video compression with a .mp4 file extension...then

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

If you wanted a match on the bitrate, then customize the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab or the preset.

We can discuss other choices if your source media are different than the example.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
                    blusnapper Level 1

ATR

Thanks again for your help, problem solved.

Eric

• 7. Re: Archiving edited video to remove unwanted footage
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Thanks for the follow up. Always great news "problem solved". Great job.

ATR