22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 10:25 PM by ssprengel

Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

joshgranberg

I have been using the colorchecker passport while photographing my art for about a year now and have not had problems with it until recently.  Now Lightroom 5.6 will not show my profiles in the camera calibration area nor will it create a new profile.  When I try to create a new one it says it cannot be generated.  When I run a report I get this message:

Plug-in error log for plug-in at: C:\Users\Joshua\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\XRiteColorCheckerPassport.lrplugi n

**** Error 1

This plug-in’s post-processing task did not finish successfully.

XRUtility.lua:86: <AgErrorID>canceled</AgErrorID>

I tried creating a new profile with the x-rite Camera Calibration Software and got the same report.  I don't know if the problems in with the OS, Lightroom, or x-rite.  Here is what I am using:

Windows 8.1

Lightroom 5.6

ColorChecker Passport Adobe Lightroom Plug-in (3/15/2011)

Color Checker Camera Calibration 1.0.2 (6/22/2010)

I also tried removing all the x-rite software (both the plug-in and stand along software) and reinstall it, but that did not fix anything.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Out of curiosity, do you have other plug-ins for Lr?  If so, do those run correctly on your Win 8.1 / Lr 5.6 system?

Thanks,

Eric

• 2. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
            joshgranberg Level 1

I have the default Tethering and Social media plugins. The only one I have installed is LR/Transporter plug-in and it is working properly.

• 3. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Josh,

I wanted to follow up with you on this thread re: the ColorChecker Passport plug-in on your Windows system;  did this ever get resolved?

Thanks,

Eric

• 4. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I'm having a similar problem.  I just installed the plug in and get a cryptic (very poorly worded) message that says: Could not generate illuminant from DNG image.  Images must be created using a supported illuminant and correct exposure. 

What the heck does that mean?  What is an illuminant as described in the first sentence?  I was using the sun, is it supported?  If not can you refer me to a similar light source that is?  Good luck with that.

Now on to the second sentence. Aren't we generating a profile? If not how can we create an illuminant? Isn't that the light source?   Then, let's talk about a "correct" exposure.  What the heck is that?  This is photography, not mathematics, there is no such thing as a "correct" exposure. If you want something specific tell us, golly guys someone is making this much harder than it needs to be.

Then I get an option to click on a button that says learn more. It's the photographic equalivent to answering the Nigerian email offering the help of a prince to get free money. It takes me to the X-rite website, which is the Manhattan phone book, but the version that is not alphabetized. If after wading through the 99% of their products you get to their support site, make sure you click on the feedback form.  It's the prize, as it generates a form they ask you to fill out, but it's a PDF  that won't accept typing. Big fun this was. 

• 5. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I generally agree with you that the message doesn't quite make sense for someone that didn't write the program.  I am guessing not creating an illuminant means the program could not figure out what the illuminant of the image was from the metadata or from reading the color patch values, and creating has to do with storage of the illuminant data inside the program not something external like manufacturing a light bulb or bringing the sun into existence.

Would you mind uploading your DNG or raw file to dropbox.com (after creating an account if necessary) and post a share link, here.  That way others can test it to see if they get the same message.  If so then maybe the illumination is uneven or the exposure is too dark or too light.  If not then maybe something is wrong with your system configuration.

• 6. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                    BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Thanks!  I welcome suggestions.  Its a big file 37mb, even after cropping.

I am a bit fuzzy on the format, do we always have to use DNGs?  I tried nef, tiff  and jpgs and got error message from each.   Does that mean I have to convert my raws, export and then re-import each one? Ugh.  

Here is the link.

Dropbox - _DSC5084.dng

There is no blacks or whites clipping.  The top targets are a tad soft, but colors are colors.  I'll be reluctant to trust anything in my workflow that demands perfect exposure and perfect focus. And me having to replace the sun is a deal killer, that is so not in the budget.

The pesky thing about logic is you can't quantify it, in terms of the error message making sense.   It needs to pass a rationality test, then a decipherability test, then a common sense test.   That one is a triple top secret handshake error message, it belongs in the Error Message Hall of Fame.

Or they need smarter customers.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

I think you're issue is that the top part that is out-of-focus, especially the top corner marks, so the X-Rite CCPP plug-in cannot find the row of neutral patches.  Next time flip the chart around so the part that has the 24 color patches is relatively in focus and the other part is whatever angle it needs to be to hold it up straight.

I was able to use the Adobe DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4 to create a color profile, because you have to tell it where the four corner patches are and it can figure out the rest:

2015-02-16_204227.png

• 8. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                        BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Thanks.  I reshot as specified and got the same error message.

• 9. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

Would you mind sharing that new shot?

• 10. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

Here is the error message I get with the CCPP plug-in and your initial photo, where crop-marks are the little L-shaped white lines at each corner of the main 24-patch area.  There is also a + in the center to aim at while photographing it.  You generally want to leave enough room around the 24-patch area so that lens vignetting is not making the corners darker by any significant amount.

Keep in mind that the other half of the color-checker, with the rainbow strip along the edge, a set of neutrals along the other side, and two rows of slightly pink or slightly green patches in between, is not needed for profile creation to you can zoom in or crop down to just the 24 patches, but in your initial image the crop marks by the neutral patches are so out of focus that I'm sure that's the problem with it.

• 11. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                              BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I shot it again in full daylight at f9, in perfect focus.  It's worth noting that they printed the text on a pebbled surface, it's not anywhere near sharp.  Printing text used to focus with sloppy, soft lines is not what I'd call good practice.

Same result.

I found the install disk that came with the product and reinstalled it. 

Same result.

l looked through their support materials and downloaded two files that seemed to relate to DNG file error.

Same result.

I looked up Illuminant.  They seem to be referring to a 'standard illuminant', which is in fact a profile. I will continue to dream of a utopia that includes seeing these clowns using complete sentences, but would settle for the correct use of technical terms.

I noticed a flash screen that shows up when I access the plug-in (I regularly use other plug-ins in LR, Pr, Ps and Ae on the same system). 

I used my ipad to record the flash message, which is up for one or two frames ( 1/20 of a second or so).

I put it in the dropbox folder.  It says error 15.  I also noticed the software is working until the error message comes up, I see the progress bar moving saying generating profile then it stops.

• 12. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

If you can figure out how to upload your newest DNG to Dropbox I may be able to help you analyze what is wrong, otherwise, I can only guess from what you've said.  A partial substitute for uploading the DNG would be to post a screenshot of what it looks like as you did, originally so at least a judgment can be made about whether it is shot correctly or not.

The DNG you linked from Dropbox gives me a reasonable error message, yet it seemed to give you something else.  This is what I don't understand, unless you're using the older CCPP app, rather than the slightly newer one, so first, make sure you've downloaded the 2010 version of the software and the 2011 version of the plug-in that interfaces with the software,  in case what you've installed from the disk is the original version.

One of these links appears to be just the plug-in and one has both the software and the plug-in as separate items.  I assume the plug-in is the same for both but I'm including both links just in case one is newer.  Since the one that is just the plug-in mentions Windows 8, I assume it is the most up-to-date.

ColorChecker Passport Adobe® Lightroom® Plug-In N/A

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport – X-Rite Photo – X-Rite Passport

Secondly, if you still have them try profiling the original NEFs instead of the DNGs.

Thirdly, if you must make DNGs, it can matter what the Compatibility Level is and try an older one, since the CCPP software hasn't been updated in several years.  This doesn't seem to matter for some cameras but it does for others.

• 13. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                                  BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Thanks.

I put the target image in Dropbox. It's a raw file, processed in Ps deleting cropped pixels.

I'm not a coder but that error message looks like something that has nothing to do with the sharpness of the target image.  It looks to my unsophisticated eye like there is something amiss with the program, it's  not a user interface 'hey do this' error.  And it flashes on screen for less than a second. It's not something designed to offer suggestions to users.

All the SW is fresh from their website, but it won't run. I get the same error messages.

The whole thing seems a tad bit unsophisticated.

• 14. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

The one link, above, is to a specific DNG not a folder, so I have no way of finding other files you may have uploaded.  Please include a link to the specific file, or a link to the dropbox folder where multiple files reside.

• 15. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

Another thought is that the place that the program is trying to write the profile is readonly which could be why it's working differently for me.

Check the permissions of this folder, depending on computer OS:

Windows:  C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac:  Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

• 16. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                                        BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Here is the error message.  It flashes when I select  export from the pull down menu, if Color Checker is enabled-before I even try to export the file.  It seems to flash every time LR accesses the plug in, before it does anything.

Dropbox - IMG_2131.PNG

I'll check those preferences next.

Thanks!

• 17. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                                          BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I Googled the error message (OMP#15) and saw lots of strings saying they had the same problem, with a fix as noted below:

Open control panel and select "System " and then click on "Advanced System Settings"

• Click on the "Advanced" tab

• Click on the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom of the window

• Under System Variables click the New button

• For Variable Name type KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK

• For Variable Value type TRUE

• Click OK and close all the windows

I did just what was prescribed and now it works.

Thanks again for your help, I would have just given up.  But I can't say anything nice about Color Checker at this point...

• 18. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

The error window says to add an environment variable but doesn’t say how. 

I have never seen that error, but I think it really has nothing to do with Lightroom, specifically.  I searched my hard-drive and 26 programs from various companies use this DLL.  I searched my hard-drive for the other one, libguide40.dll, is only used by two programs, one of them being the X-Rite Color Checker program.  I think the issue may be that the XRCC program is several years old, but I’m not sure.  At least you figured it out.

• 19. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                                              BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I did not figure it out, I got lucky and found someone else who had the same problem, figured it out and was kind enough to share the solution.  But if I've learmed anything about mass produced products it is nothing is unique and someone else wiser than me has the same problem. 

Thanks again, I did learn something.

• 20. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                                                BartonGarrett256 Level 2

and I noticed that ~95% of their products are not for photography, the software has not been upgraded in four years(an epoch in SW), and their videos are unsophisticated, which is hard to fathom when they are selling into the video/photography market. Caveat Emptor.

• 21. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6

You took a video, found the frame that had the words on the screen, Googled those words, and found out what to do to get past the issue.  To me that is “figuring it out” using resources at your disposal.

You’re talking about X-Rite?  They are a small company with a niche market of calibrating color devices.  In the past decade, they have actually purchased intellectual property of many smaller companies that weren’t making it on their own, so their products are somewhat of a hodge-podge with overlapping functionality for various markets.

• 22. Re: Colorchecker Passport not working in Lightroom 5.6
                                                    BKKDon Level 4

I also forgot to add that when I had this issue I found the solution on the X-Rite website at: X-Rite: +Windows - Software Flashes but Won't Open (OMP Error)