Skip navigation
    4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2014 5:34 AM by tomwphoto

Are Virtual Copies saved in Backups? How do I insert a backup into an existing catalog?

tomwphoto

Are Virtual Copies saved in Backups? How do I insert a backup into an existing catalog

I deleted a tif image file that I didn't intend to, which had several LR virtual copies created from it. The virtual copies had a lot of important history that document my print preparation edits. Are these virtual copies saved in the LR backups?

If so, how can I insert them into the catalog I am using? I have made a lot of edits in the two days since my last backup and don't want to lose that history either. Do you suggest I make a current backup before retrieving files from my last backup? I know I'm supposed to go to the backup location and open the last backup, but how do I blend that with the current work from the last 2 days?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Tom

• 1. Re: Are Virtual Copies saved in Backups? How do I insert a backup into an existing catalog?
          areohbee Level 5

Virtual copies are saved in catalog backups, but without the master photo, they're ~useless.

So, assuming you can re-constitute the master tif source file (is source file still on disk, or in trash can?..), just re-import the (master and) virtual copy photos from backup catalog.

I think the most frequently overlooked way to recover backed up info from a catalog is via 'Import From Another Catalog' feature (on File menu) - most people revert whole-hog to backed up catalog, which is good for replacing a faulty catalog, but for "spot recovery" (partial/subset..): not as good..

Rob

• 2. Re: Are Virtual Copies saved in Backups? How do I insert a backup into an existing catalog?
            tomwphoto Level 1

Rob,

That was exactly what I was after. However, I'm still having trouble getting the virtual copies imported. The master file was in my trash, I restored it to the original hard drive folder. Before I got your message I re- imported it to LR but of course LR came up with a new name since I was importing from and saving it to the same folder in LR. And of course no copies. This may have been a mistake, but before starting the procedure you described, I re-named the master file (it seemed that the import from backup would re-create it so I didn't want  a conflict).

Then I did what you said and used the 'Import From Another Catalog' feature. I found the virtual copies in the backup and checked them. But when the import completed, the it gave me file names  xxx/Copy1, xxx/Copy2 but there was no image or history or metadata. When I tried to find the folder containing the files, it said it couldn't be found. So I missed something in the settings. When I tried again, there was a warning saying the file(s) exists in the catalog and its settings differ. I went ahead anyway and the message I got was "No Photos in previous import"

Here's what the import from backup shows:

• A box with catalog contents and all the folders and files within them, that you can check.
            • A New Photos section, which gives 2 file handling choices: a)add new photos to the catalog without moving them or b) don't import new photos
            • A Changed existing photos section with 2 replace options: a) nothing or b) Metadata and develop setting only. If you choose this you can check a box to preserve old settings as a virtual copy.

Not sure what to do. I changed the master file back to its original name, but that didn't make a difference. Suggestions? Thanks, Tom

• 3. Re: Are Virtual Copies saved in Backups? How do I insert a backup into an existing catalog?
              areohbee Level 5

tomwphoto wrote:

This may have been a mistake

It was, but not catastrophic.

Photos in Lightroom are defined by a database ID, not a filename, so you can't rename them in order to be considered the same photo as before.

So, theoretically, if master and virtual copy photos are in your backup, you should be able to import all of them (master, and virtual copies) - make sure you remove the re-imported tif from your catalog first, and assure source filename of tif on disk is same as before.

tomwphoto wrote:

• A New Photos section, which gives 2 file handling choices: a)add new photos to the catalog without moving them or b) don't import new photos
              • A Changed existing photos section with 2 replace options: a) nothing or b) Metadata and develop setting only. If you choose this you can check a box to preserve old settings as a virtual copy.

1. a) add without moving

2. I thought you were only going to be adding photos from backup which no longer exist in target (current) catalog, in which case there should be no replacement - .

R

• 4. Re: Are Virtual Copies saved in Backups? How do I insert a backup into an existing catalog?
                tomwphoto Level 1

Thanks so much Rob. I was able to restore the original and the virtual copies, with the history & metadata. First, I did get rid of the re-imported tif. The hard part was that when I imported from the backup the first time, the metadata, thumbnail and history weren't there, even though the filename, including the copy # was visible. Little blank boxes. Then I couldn't even find those. My workaround was to search in the grid layout of current open LR catalog under pictures (6000+). By typing in the filename in the text box at the top, I found the blank boxes. Then when it said it couldn't find the file, I asked to locate it. By going to the original source folder and the original restored file, the metadata, history, thumbnails all reappeared.

That's good to know (and makes sense) that Photos in Lightroom are defined by a database ID, not a filename. The import from another catalog settings still seem confusing ( no moving, no replacement...). Thanks again. I'm breathing much easier now! Tom

More Like This

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points