2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2014 6:37 PM by John Boyden

How do I get automatic pagination on 4 pages with 4 different spreads?

John Boyden Level 1

I have constructed a document having four pages, but they are not linked together as one spread.  This unusual arrangement arose out of how I obtained the pages.  They came from a .tiff file of mine via an Optical Character Reader (OCR) that yielded each processed text page separately.  I then transferred each page to a separate spread on InDesign.  When I try to use the Master page to set up the usual automatic pagination, it doesn't work.  Do I have to construct a blank four-page spread and then copy and paste to the single spread to get it to work?  Thanks for your assist.

• 1. Re: How do I get automatic pagination on 4 pages with 4 different spreads?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Automatic page numbering is not dependent on facing pages, so it should be working. You need to put a text frame on the master page and in that frame insert a "Current Page Marker" special character, along with any text that should accompany the number. The marker will have the letter assigned to the master page when viewed on the master page.

If this does not show on your document pages, is there something else that might be in front of it? Master page objects are always behind live page objects on the same layer.

• 2. Re: How do I get automatic pagination on 4 pages with 4 different spreads?
            John Boyden Level 1

All is well.  Case closed.  The problem was that I manually typed in the letter A when I should have selected a Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number that inserted its special character that appears as the letter A.

In retrospect, my "complex" problems turned out to be pilot error.  I deeply appreciate your patience and kindness as well as your great expertise.  Best regards.

I do have one comment.  This version of Jive is really tough to navigate once a question reaches more than two pages old.  I was out of the office nearly all day yesterday after my previous post to you.  It was really tough finding your very helpful reply because my question was old enough to be on page 3 or 4.  Thank goodness for the email notification.  This has been a hard-earned Correct Answer for you.