6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2014 9:16 PM by grits5

Selection problem in loupe view

grits5 Level 1

I am tagging photos using the Keyword Tags panel.  I noticed that when I select multiple photos and entered keywords, sometimes only one photo would be tagged. At other times, they all would be.

After puzzling over this and investigating, here's what seems to be happening. If I am in grid view and select multiple photos either on the grid or on the filmstrip, tags I enter in the Keyword Tags panel seem to be applied to all the photos. However if I happen to be in loupe view and select multiple photos on the filmstrip, then the tags are only applied to one photo.

It seems to me that if I select multiple photos on the filmstrip, then any tag I enter in the Key Words panel ought to be applied to all selected photos. Is this a bug? Is it by design for some reason? Is there something I'm missing?

Dale

• 1. Re: Selection problem in loupe view
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Yes-it is by design and not a bug. Grid works on all selected. Film Strip works on Active Image only. It has always been this way.

• 2. Re: Selection problem in loupe view
            grits5 Level 1

That's not exactly what I'm seeing, though close. Selecting photos in the Film Strip works on Active Image only if the Library View is in Loupe mode. Selecting photos in the Film Strip seems to work for all selected images if the Library View is in Grid mode.

• 3. Re: Selection problem in loupe view

If you are in Library and in Grid you can make changes to the metadata of all the selected images.

Any other view (or any other module for that matter) only the active image is affected (unless you are using Autosync)

How/where you select them is irrelevant.

• 4. Re: Selection problem in loupe view
                grits5 Level 1

I see now what you're saying. Why it would be designed to go against what would be normal expected behavior is a mystery. But now that I know, I can work around it. Thanks much for the information!

• 5. Re: Selection problem in loupe view

To me, it isn't.

The film strip can be hidden (many people don't even use it). It also shows a smaller subset of images (in general use) than is visible in a grid. It is more difficult to select large numbers (especially noncontiguous) of images in film strip. It is far easier to fix items with data  not applied to thousands of items mistakenly applied-especially when unnoticed.

• 6. Re: Selection problem in loupe view
                    grits5 Level 1

My experience is that fewer mistakes are made when things behave the way people normally expect. And it seems logical to expect that if you've selected an object, any action you take affects that object. We're accustomed to that. If it is designed to work differently, then it's logical it should do so consistently across views -- grid or loupe.

However I do see your point, and thanks for explaining it. I understand you to say that view matters, selection does not. My outlook is that treating selections consistently matters; view not so much. It seems possible it's simply a case of different perspectives.

It does help, however,  to know there is a rationale, and see another viewpoint. Rikk, thanks for passing your thought along, and for the original information as well.