By import the websites, do you mean you are importing .ste files that were exported from the old machine?
Have your templates been moved out of the DW generated Templates folder in the new sites? Any change to that folder, or moving files out of it will break templates.
When you look in your site's Assets panel under the Templates category, do you see your templates listed there?
Yes i do a export from the sites from the old machine. Then import.
All the files from the site i have copied the folder into the new machine.
Yes i can see the template. I Also can update the pages manually. All new pages works correct with the template. Only the automatic is broken. All old pages have no join to the template. hm...
When you say "update the pages manually" do you mean by using Modify>Templates>Update Current Page?
yes - this works.
What happens if you use Modify>Templates>Apply Template to Page? Does the page now update as it should?
No, that do not work. After Apply Template to Page - witch looks ok, but the Page is not updated if i change the template after.
Only new files created from the template are updated...
I deleted the MacFileCache****.dat
But this did not solve the problem. Maybe there is another file witch stores the information...
No other file would have that information. Let me just summarize -
1. Files copied from another computer seem to have lost connection with their template.
2. New files created from the same template behave as expected.
3. These templates are visible in the DW Assets panel.
4. Deleting the cache file made no difference in this behavior.
Is that correct?
Do the templates involved validate when tested at http://validator.w3.org?
Yes, all 4 are correct.
Test reports no Errors and Warnings...
now I made a new page from the template on the new machine - and find one difference:
<html lang="de"><!-- InstanceBegin template="Templates/mainvorlage.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
<html lang="de"><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/mainvorlage.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
The slash / after template=" is not there on the new machine. If i remove the slash on the copied pages and restart dreamweaver then it works. A lot of work, but i can solve my problem this way.
Maybe there is some checkbox for path handling...?
Go to Site > Manage Sites > Advanced Settings.
Are your Links Relative to Document or Site Root?
Site Root would add a slash to link paths.
on both machines relative to Document.
The new makes no slash, the old makes slash if i make a new document...
In the site definition you choose whether to create your links as root relative or document relative. Sounds like you have chosen one for one site and the other for the other site.
Actually, having re-read your post, something is terribly wrong here. The template directive should ALWAYS have a root relative link. A properly installed (and I cannot imagine what you might have done to break this) would only use that one method of identifying the parent template file. I'll see if I can get some help from the Adobe team on this.
As a workaround, try making the NEW child page have a slash there and see what happens.
1 person found this helpful
...only the new pages are updated.
I made another workaround: I created the site definition new. (instead of export/import)
Then copy the files from the old machine to the new in a new folder for testing. And: surprise! Everything works fine!
So the problem must be in the export / import method - i think so...
1 person found this helpful
..it also works fine, if i made a copy from the site definition. Just duplicate it, delete the old site-definition and rename the new one. this solves my problem :-)
Excellent. I'm, glad you got this solved.