3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2014 1:18 PM by divisj

Is it possible to create an ePub that had editable fields?

sabrina5by5

Is it possible to create an ePub that had editable fields? I am hoping to be able to make my training manuals digital, and I can just use PDF's, but ePub seems like a more elegant presentation platform since a lot of participants use iPads and things.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to create an ePub that had editable fields?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If by "editable fields," you mean "form fields," as far as I know, EPUB 3 has no concept of editable fields.

EPUB3 is designed to create books which will likely be sold on a bookstore. Books are inherently not editable after they are sold.

Stick with PDF for form fields.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to create an ePub that had editable fields?
            divisj Level 1

I was intrigued by the idea so I did a quick search and found an answer by Sumit Kumar over on LinkedIn regarding how to initiate the keyboard on an iOS device for an input field within an epub.

<script type="text/javascript">

function iPadTouchHandler(event) {

var type = "",

button = 0; /*left*/

if (event.touches.length > 1)

return;

switch (event.type) {

case "touchstart":

// OLD: On iPad2 clicking on a text input field did not show the keyboard

// if ($(event.changedTouches[0].target).is("select")) {

// NEW: Now on iPad2 the touchstart-Event on input fields is ignored and everything works fine

// change my by Roland Caspers, Scheer Management

if ($(event.changedTouches[0].target).is("select") || $(event.changedTouches[0].target).is("input")) {

return;

}

iPadTouchStart(event); /*We need to trigger two events here to support one touch drag and drop*/

event.preventDefault();

return false;

break;

</script>

Note:

Used <input type="color" name='Name' />

instead of <input type="text" name='Name' />

I have not tried this myself yet, but may have to add a "This book belongs to:" option at the beginning of my book. Thanks for the inspiration!

• 3. Re: Is it possible to create an ePub that had editable fields?
              divisj Level 1

I also just stumbled upon another answer by Steve Werner where he points to a link that points to this compare tool. It allows you to see which input types and other epub features are supported on which devices.