4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 10:42 AM by scunningham112 RSS

If I save a word doc as a PDF, some graphics and text are missing - why?

scunningham112 Community Member

I am working on a PC and when I save certain word files as PDFs I am having these issues:

- Docs saving with no graphics from original word document

- Text or text boxes in header area / near header not saving in PDF version

I've never experienced this before on any computer - anyone have thoughts? The documents have non-Western fonts which I can't open on my Mac, so I need to use the PC I am working on to save as PDFs. The fonts themselves seem to be saving fine, it's other components of the docs that are disappearing when saved as PDFs.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

• 1. Re: If I save a word doc as a PDF, some graphics and text are missing - why?
          MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP

Reader cannot create pdf files. What software are you using to create pdf files. If you are using Windows and Office’s capabilities to create pdfs, then you need to ask Microsoft for help.

Your Mac as no issues with non-Western fonts if they are the correct type of non-Western fonts. What type of fonts are they (postscript, true type, unicode, opentype)?

• 2. Re: If I save a word doc as a PDF, some graphics and text are missing - why?

I am saving a word document as a PDF - I guess Reader is just the program that opens the PDF... So this is a Microsoft question? I've never had a problem saving a word file as a PDF before...

As far as the font question, I'm not sure how to answer you... One example is that Unicode supports Devanagari Sangam MN on my MAC, but does not support certain other Nepali fonts (which I am able to download unto a PC, but which my MAC doesn't seem to support). The same is true of a Karen font called KNU which doesn't seem to work on a MAC. It seems that PCs support more Unicode fonts than MACs? I don't really understand how all of this works, but I know some of the fonts I have tried to download on my MAC aren't supported?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

• 3. Re: If I save a word doc as a PDF, some graphics and text are missing - why?
              MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP

It is not a matter of your Mac not understanding unicode fonts. There are different ways to encode fonts. The problem is that the fonts aren’t being embedded into the pdf through the use of MS’s technology. Acrobat allows you to choose to embed fonts into the pdf. When the fonts are embedded the resulting pdf file can be read on both PC and Macs.

In a search for the KNU font, it is a True Type font. The only version I can find online is a 1993 version which is not a unicode font.

• 4. Re: If I save a word doc as a PDF, some graphics and text are missing - why?

I can't open the word documents, so it seems like it is a font issue. The PDFs actually open fine on my computer, but the issue is that I need to be able to edit the word documents and save as PDFs and I can't do that on my MAC.

Is there a way to "save as" a PDF from Microsoft Word and have the graphics show up on the PDF? I guess I'm still confused why that isn't working... It's not the text part that doesn't save properly when I use the PC, it's the graphics or I'm guessing anything that's not text. Anything I can do about that if I don't have Acrobat?

Thanks!