5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 8:42 AM by Student 248

Importing Images

Student 248

In Lightroom, I initiated an image import from a memory card and cancelled before the import began, because I received a notification about an upgrade and I decided to upgrade first.  I upgraded to Lightroom 5.6.  Later, when I tried to import the images from the same memory card, I was informed that the folder on the card was empty.  Help!

• 1. Re: Importing Images
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your OS and how is the card attached to the computer??

First... do not use the card...as you may need to recover from it and reusing prevents this.

Can you see the card on your computer???

• 2. Re: Importing Images
            dj_paige Level 9

I would add to Geoff's comments that Lightroom NEVER writes to your camera cards. It simply is not a function programmed into Lightroom. So, that doesn't rule out some hardware problem causing what you see, but we can be 100% sure that this is not caused by Lightroom.

• 3. Re: Importing Images
              Student 248 Level 1

Geoff, I am using OSX 10.9.4, and the memory card was in a SanDisk card reader attached to my Macbook via USB.  Yes, I can see the card on the computer.  I can also see the card on the camera.  At first, the camera gave conflicting information re. the memory card.  It informed me that there was space for 0 images left on the card, but when I went to look at the images already on the card, I got the message that the folder was empty.  I then worked with an Apple support rep who tried to import the images from the card into iPhoto.  After that, the cameral told me I had space on the card for more images.

• 4. Re: Importing Images
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Student 248 wrote:

Geoff, I am using OSX 10.9.4, and the memory card was in a SanDisk card reader attached to my Macbook via USB.  Yes, I can see the card on the computer.  I can also see the card on the camera.  At first, the camera gave conflicting information re. the memory card.  It informed me that there was space for 0 images left on the card, but when I went to look at the images already on the card, I got the message that the folder was empty.  I then worked with an Apple support rep who tried to import the images from the card into iPhoto.  After that, the cameral told me I had space on the card for more images.

Ok, you need to have a look in the card on your Mac in Finder.

So plug in the card and look inside, there may be several folders..

Are there photos in any of the folders???

• 5. Re: Importing Images
                  Student 248 Level 1

Geoff,

Finder tells me there is one file on the card named DCIM, and that folder is empty.  After canceling the image import in Lightroom and upgrading to LR 5.6, I may have unplugged the card reader without ejecting it first.  And thus, I may have corrupted what was on the card.  Are there any services you are aware of who could recover what was on that card?