4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2014 8:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't import mp4 file into premiere elements

gghtt

I made an mp4 video in premiere elements 12 (for playing on iPad) and now I want to import the mp4 file into another premiere elements project. when i try to import the file, it just hangs and does nothing when i select the mp4 file (get the spinning beach ball that never stops until i force quit premiere elements. i am on a mac running osx 10.7.5 and have the latest updates to premiere elements 12. (by the way, the mp4 plays fine in quick time.) Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? thanks

• 1. Re: Can't import mp4 file into premiere elements
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper -Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are importing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Can't import mp4 file into premiere elements
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gghtt

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Mac

You should not have to go to readout programs at the onset of this troubleshooting if you exported this .mp4 from a Premiere Elements 12/12.1/ Mac project in the first place. Just tell us the details of the Premiere Elements export

Publish+Share/Computer.....what?

And, then what did you select for Presets under What?

And, what were the export settings under the Advance Button Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset selected?

What is the file size and duration of this .mp4 file?

Do you have problems importing anything else into your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project...jpgs other videos with different formats, etc?

Let us start here and let your answers help us to customize the troubleshooting to the issue that you presented.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Can't import mp4 file into premiere elements
              gghtt Level 1

Sorry for the trouble, I walked away from my computer for a few hours and left the ball spinning to see what would happen. When I came back, it looked like it had imported the video! I was surprised by how long it took since I was importing .mov files to make the video in the first place and the .mov file was about 25 gb while the .mp4 file was only about 1.5gb. The 25gb mov file only took a few seconds to import while the 1.5gb mp4 file took who knows how long, anywhere from half an hour to a few hours, not sure since I left!! Thank you all for your help.

• 4. Re: Can't import mp4 file into premiere elements
                A.T. Romano Level 7

gghtt

Thanks for the follow up and the good news part that the files did import into the Premiere Elements project eventually.

They were large size files. Where were these files stored? Could you have gotten into a transfer rate problem from storage location into the project? But... were the 25 GB mov file and 1.5 GB .mp4 file stored at the same location? For import, were you using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets route?

What got imported first - the 25 GB file or the 1.5 GB file? If the 25 GB file first, could we evoke a resource issue when you went to import the 1.5 GB .mp4 or any other video file for that matter?

What video compression did you use for each file?

If you run into any more of the same problem, same differences, please let us know.

ATR