8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2014 11:21 AM by sbtoon

No "custom size" option in print module?

sbtoon

In the print module, I want to create a large format layout to send to a third party printer via PDF (16x20 in this case). However, in page setup/paper sizes, no option appears for "manage custom sizes." The only sizes available are limited to the parameters of my desktop printer, which I don't intend to use. Why might "custom size" not appear in the paper size list, and how can I create a large format PDF for uploading?

• 1. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?
          sbtoon Level 1

That should be "JPG", not PDF.

• 2. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom will only allow you to choose from paper sizes that your printer is capable of handling. In your case, design your layout in the print module, and then change the destination to a file, then print to the file. Then you will have a JPEG the you can send to the printer company.

• 3. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?
              sbtoon Level 1

So create a file at "letter" size, and the third party printer can reproduce at 16x20? At a quality resolution?

And online video tutorials all seem to have a "manage custom size" option in the paper size list, but none of my print drivers do. Any thoughts as to why I don't have this option, and how I might solve that?

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?

To have an option that will enable you to print a 16 x 20, you have to have a printer attached that is capable of printing that size. Otherwise, if you want a 16 x 20 you will either have to print to a file or export a file that you can send to the lab. Lightroom is aware of the capabilities of any printer that is attached, and will not allow the selection of a paper size that is not compatible with the printer. If you simply export a copy of the image, you can control the size of that exported file, making it larger if necessary in order to help ensure a high-quality print.

Added later: as a point of clarification, the paper size is always set in the printer driver. You can only set paper sizes that your printer driver will allow you to choose. I use a Canon Pixma Pro-100, and the largest standard paper size I can use is 13 x 19". In order for me to set a custom size in my the printer driver, I have to deselect borderless printing. When I do that, I am able to choose a custom size up to 25 inches in length. But even then, if I were to try to choose a 16 x 20" print the printer driver would tell me that the size is invalid. After you have chosen a paper size and type in the printer driver, then it is possible for you to design your print layout.

• 5. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?
                  sbtoon Level 1

Thanks, Jim. That's helpful. Seems like LR would have an option to create custom sizes separate from attached printers when exporting the layout to JPG.

• 6. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?

Well, it does, sort of. I recently ordered a 16 x 20 print of one of my daughter's bridal pictures. I cropped the image in Lightroom to the 4 x 5/8 x 10 ratio, and then exported a JPEG changing the size to the long side being 6000 pixels (6000/300 PPI = 20 inches). Then I sent that enlarged JPEG to the lab. The photo that was returned was exactly what I expected.

I guess I have just been using Lightroom for so long that if I can't do it one way, or at least don't know how to, I can always find another way to get the job done.

• 7. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I was sending out a single image to print rather than an array of photos on a page, I'd probably just use Export as others have said, above; however, in my LR 5.6, if I change the output type to JPEG, I see an option to customize the file dimensions of that JPG output.  I do need to adjust the cell size if the virtual page has different dimensions than the original physical page of the selected printer.  I have an HP LaserJet set as my output printer prior to switching to JPG.  I see this Customize File Dimensions option in all three Layout Styles:  Single Image / Contact Sheet, Picture Package, Custom Package.

• 8. Re: No "custom size" option in print module?
                        sbtoon Level 1

Yes, thanks to each. I also found the "custom file dimensions" option after choosing print to JPG. Was a bit confusing after having to choose a printer page size, but seems to work. Again, thanks.