25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 8:53 AM by DerrylS

Older document won't load a font

DerrylS Level 1

I have an older document that used ITC Slimbach which I still have on my computer. Even though the font is open in Font Book (Mac font handling app) when I open the document, it shows all the text in red boxes.

On opening, TypeKit says the font can not be found or will it let me find and change the font. When I try to find the font in the font list within InDesign, the font shows in brackets as [ITC Slimbach] and will not change in the document. I can not even get that font to work as a new text entry in that same document.. I can change the red box text that is to be Slimbach can be changed to another font.

I can use Slimbach in a new document with no problems..

• 1. Re: Older document won't load a font
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Typekit is NOT your friend here.

Go to Type > Find Font... select the missing Slimbach in the list, then from the dropdown for the font to replace it choose the Slimbach that is being recognized (not the one in brackets). This is probably just name confusion between the versions of ID, or you may have more than one version of the font installed.

• 2. Re: Older document won't load a font
            DerrylS Level 1

I choose the only ITC Slimbach I have on my computer. (did a finder name search to be sure some other version was lurking somewhere)

It is in brackets when the font is chosen in this 8 year old document, but opening a new document, the font is not bracketed and all the faces work, so I doubt is font corruption. The date on the font is 3/96.

I added a page to the document, but I still get the font in brackets. When opening another old document that had used Slimbach, I get the same problem, so a document corruption doesn't seem to be the problem.

Could it be the old documents recognized the font differently and subsequent upgrades are causing the problem? They might have been updated from PageMaker documents as I don't remember how many years ago the PageMaker to InDesign happened.

Other fonts in the same old documents opened fine, that is when I made the font active in Font Book.

• 3. Re: Older document won't load a font

Converted docs can behave strangely.

Did you use Find Font to substitute Slimbach that shows up without the brackets?

• 4. Re: Older document won't load a font
                DerrylS Level 1

Only can get the bracketed font on those two documents in the font finder of InDesign, yet if I open a new document without closing InDesign or the problem document , the font will appear without brackets and renders properly in the new document. I didn't mention this before, but it is a PostScript font, not TrueType.

Also, I can change the unchangeable Slimbach font with another type family and it will allow the changes.

I don't know how many more old documents I have with Slimbach, but it appears the older documents do not like the font family at all. Both defective documents show the same creation date, even though there were created in the different years, so that shows me that they must be converted PageMake documents with the InDesign plugin. As I said previously, the font shows a foundry creation date of March 6, 1996 date.

• 5. Re: Older document won't load a font
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it a PostScript 1 font?

• 6. Re: Older document won't load a font
                    DerrylS Level 1

It is a type 1. I don't think I have many Type 3. (I have 602 PD and TT  font families, but only 70 are enabled). Apple Font Book that manages my fonts does not show any duplicate fonts.

However, if it's being a PS type 1 is a problem, why would it work in new documents?

Those documents were created with ID CS6, I wonder if that is the problem and ID CC and ID CC14 can't translate properly?

• 7. Re: Older document won't load a font

DerrylS wrote:

Only can get the bracketed font on those two documents in the font finder of InDesign,

Are you using Type > Find Font... and scrolling down the font list to the ones starting with "S"? You MUST scroll down the list to find your version -- the fonts you will encounter at the top of the list are the recently used list and/or "document installed fonts" that are included int a Document Fonts folder.

• 8. Re: Older document won't load a font
                        DerrylS Level 1

The only Slimbach entry in the font selection menu is ITC Slimbach.

That selection is not available when I close the font in Font Book so that proves that is the font it is looking for but the file will not accept the font.

• 9. Re: Older document won't load a font

When it is active in Font Book, do you see a listing for it in Find Font without the brackets?

• 10. Re: Older document won't load a font
                            DerrylS Level 1

There is only the bracketed font showing when the problematic documents are open. If I open a new document without closing ID and keeping a problem document open, the font is unbracketed and behaves normally with the new document. Then if I switch back to the problem document, the brackets reappear while the problem document is the active document.

The problem is just with older documents I have found that were created before ID CC (in this case, 2002 and 2003) that used Slimbach that will not function correctly. These are of programs I was trying to make archival printed copies of.

• 11. Re: Older document won't load a font

Please show us a screen capture of your font list (in the old document), with the list scrolled down to show fonts that start with S...

• 12. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                DerrylS Level 1

Attached is a screen dump of the problem document, and a new one created with Slimbach usable. There is only one Slimbach PS family on my computer called ITC Slimbach. First is the problem document and you can see the red marked text that is supposed to be Slimbach Black.  The second is a good document and you can see Slimbach Black Italic works perfectly. Both documents were opened at the same time without closing ID and reopening. Both had the same font availability through Font Book. The selection was done in the recent used portion of the pull down menu, but I have also tried to select it from the listing further down (third example), without any better success.

The only answer I see at this time is that for some reason, a converted PM document using the ID converter plugin (about 6 years ago) corrupted the files so it will not load Slimbach. I am going to have to re-create the eight-page document from scratch to get a working archive copy. This is not a present prospect.

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 9.23.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 9.12.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 9.26.45 PM.png

• 13. Re: Older document won't load a font

OK, I think you are still failing to use Find Font properly.

Your first screen shot shows the list of recently used fonts. In the problem file go to Type > Find Font... and select the missing Slimbach.

In the drop down for the Replace With/ Font Family dropdown scroll down the list past the recently used fonts to the regular font section and find the ITC Slimbach listed between Seville and Snell Roundhand.

• 14. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                    DerrylS Level 1

In my previous post I stated "but I have also tried to select it from the listing further down (third example), without any better success" and included a screen dump of trying to select the font from the full list, rather than from the recent list.

I have tried it from both locations of the pull down font menu with the same result - the problem document still has the font in brackets as if it still thinks that the font is not active and available. The first time I found the problem, Slimbach did not show in the recent menu after I opened the font in Font Book, so I had to only locate it in the full menu. I do not normally have Slimback open, so I so I would open it after I find the font is needed and reopen the document.

• 15. Re: Older document won't load a font

You can't do this from the regular font list. You need to use Find Font.

• 16. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                        DerrylS Level 1

Going from the find font under the type menu doesn't make any change. The drop down I was using is a menu bar short cut that saves time pulling down menu bar items.

This is what I saw under type:

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 8.50.05 PM.png

I also went under window/type and tables and the font is still bracketed as seen below:

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 8.55.53 PM.png

None of the ways to select/change a font do not work. If you recall, I can not even create a new next block using Slimbach and have it be able to be selected in these problem documents and Slimbach is usable in other documents new or non-converted from PM documents.

Sorry to have been wasting your time. I will just have to recreate these documents in new ID files and blame the problem on the Adobe converter for PM files to ID (at least with those that used Slimbach).

• 17. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

if it was a snake it would have bitten you!

See the red outlined area from your screen shot.

Type menu - Find Font . . . .

Find_font.jpg

• 18. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                            DerrylS Level 1

Nice try, but that does not work either. I selected Slimbach which still shows with brackets, and it did not change after clicking on the change or change all.

Converted PM documents that used the plugin that was provided with the early issues of ID simply screwed up my documents, at least as far as Slimbach is concerned. The only copy of the Slimbach font will only work on new documents or within older documents that did not already use Slimbach. Also the red highlighted text can be changed to some other font - it is just Slimbach that won't work.

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 10.29.16 PM.png.

• 19. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried replacing with another font, exporting as an IDML file, reopening that as a new INDD file and then see if the Slimbach is still in brackets in the new INDD file?

• 20. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                                DerrylS Level 1

As stated in earlier posts it is PS 1.

I have stated at least twice that I could use another font in place of Slimbach that is in the documents

In my original post - " I can change the red box text that is to be Slimbach can be changed to another font."

in my last post - "Also the red highlighted text can be changed to some other font - it is just Slimbach that won't work."

• 21. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                                  Bo LeBeau Level 4

When you are in the Find Font dialog box and ITC Slimbach is highlighted at the top of the Fonts in Document list, have you tried using the pulldown menu from the Replace With: section?

You would need to scroll down and find ITC Slimback for the Font Family and Book for the Font Style. There is no Regular font style in ITC Slimbach.

If you can find ITC Slimback (font family) and Book (font style) from the pulldown in the lower half of the Find Font dialog, then and only then should you click Change or Change All

• 22. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                                    DerrylS Level 1

I changed the font in the document in a section, saved as a new document. When that new document was opened, when Slimback was selected to change the new font in that font block, the brackets appeared again.

• 23. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                                      DerrylS Level 1

I have tried the font in both listing positions (recent and main list), tried substation, trying all the ways a font can be changed, even changed all the type occurrences to another font block by block as substitute would not work, saved as, then reopened and Slimbach continued to show bracketed.

Plain and simple, the problem is when a PM document containing Slimbach was converted to ID using the Adobe supplied plug in, the file was somehow permanently corrupted as far as Slimbach is concerned. If a converted from PM does never contained Slimbach, there isn't a problem nor any problem adding Slimbach or substituting a new font in new or existing files.

• 24. Re: Older document won't load a font

I just don't understand why you refuse to follow the directions we are all giving to you. In your last screen shot you are in the right dialog, but you have not bothered too select the new font in the Replace With field. That's a font list drop down. Open it and scroll to your installed Slimbach.

It was also suggested that you try cleaning the file by running it through .idml. For direction to do that, see Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 25. Re: Older document won't load a font
                                                          DerrylS Level 1

After going to the specific URL of your post on file corruption, I tried it

As you probably suspected, reopening the .idml file worked with no messing around with trying selection or substitution of the font.

So it was a file corruption, as suspected, all along.

Thank you Peter.