8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2014 7:40 AM by MJStringer

Grey lines across my Placed Word doc

MJStringer Level 1

What is causing grey lines across my Placed Word doc and how do I get rid of them?

• 1. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
          Migintosh Level 4

Can you upload a screenshot? Click the camera icon.

Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 1.04.22 AM.png

• 2. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
            MJStringer Level 1

this little snippit is all I have left - i manually loaded this doc - but the lines have happened with about six word docs that I placed out of the 30 I have done so far. I have 70 left to go.

• 3. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
              Migintosh Level 4

Your screenshot is a little small to tell what's going on. Can you turn on the hidden characters in the Type menu so I can see what some of the invisibles are? It looks a bit like you have right-sided tabs, like you might have in a table of contents or a menu. It's common to use a fill character on the tabs, which could look like what you have. You can check that out by selecting a paragraph and going to the tab field. If there are fill characters, they will repeat the length of the space the tab takes up.

• 4. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Does your used paragraph style has paragraph rulers activated? Turn it off. You should redefine your paragraph style anyway.

• 5. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
                  Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

It looks indeed -- from your screenshot -- like you've got paragraph rules enabled as a default setting currently in your document.

Before you place the Word document in your InDesign document try the following:

• Edit > Deselect All (to ensure you have nothing selected).
                  • Type > Paragraph Styles - ensure [Basic Paragraph] is selected.
                  • Type > Character Styles - ensure [None] is selected
                  • Type > Paragraph. From the Paragraph panel menu choose Paragraph Rules
                    • Select Rules Above (top left menu), ensure Rule On is not selected.
                    • Select Rules Below (top left menu), ensure Rule On is not selected.

Also if you are inserting your docx into an existing text frame, check that at the insertion point (click with type tool as insertion point), the Paragraph Rules are disabled.

Next try and place your docx again. Hopefully that'll resolve the issue.

Cari

• 6. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would NEVER recommend to use [Basic Paragraph] in any case. This can cause huge problems in the following steps as this style was different in each version and sometimes different between Mac and Windows. And this is the very only Paragraph Style you can’t delete and replace with a different style.

It is important to create its own styles from the scratch.

• 7. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
                      Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

@Willi

Just to clarify, the instructions I gave in my comment are there purely to help isolate the cause of the issue. I by no means meant to indicate that text must have [Basic Paragraph] style applied to it.

The intent of the steps above:

1. Ensure that the [Basic Paragraph] is selected by default (and not another style, which might have a paragraph rule applied to it)
                      2. Ensure that the [Basic Paragraph] doesn't contain a style override that applies the paragraph rule.

Once the text is imported the styling can then commence (using paragraph styles etc.).

Cari

• 8. Re: Grey lines across my Placed Word doc
                        MJStringer Level 1

I will have to check all of this the next time it happens - I checked all of the settings above for what I have already in progress. I am creating a book with 100+ word docs being fed into four chapters. I have the correct number of blank pages already set up in each of the four chapters and then feed the word docs (interviews/photos) into the book/chapter as they are completed.  The grey lines occur randomly with different feeds - I can't make it happen. And they stay on the screen when I hit shift/w.