1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2007 10:09 AM by BiSaisei

Validation of user inputs when using ItemRenderers in DataGrid

bhargava.abhi
      Hi,

I have to show multiple editable columns in a DataGrid.
      The columns may have different formats and datatypes e.g. numbers, dates, string etc.
      So I am using TextInput/DateField as a ItemRenderer inside the DataGrid. I have also set the rendererIsEditor="true".

Now I want to apply validation to all these editable columns depending on their datatypes.
      I know I can do that by applying validators individually on each column.

But is there a way I can use common validation for all the columns that have a similar datatype or that have the same renderer?
        • 1. Re: Validation of user inputs when using ItemRenderers in DataGrid
          BiSaisei Level 1
          You can use the itemEditEnd Event of the DataGrid for your validation. Then you can use Actionscript to make sure what the user enters is in the right format. Example:

<mx:Script>
          <![CDATA[
          import mx.events.DataGridEvent;

public function processEdit(event:DataGridEvent):void {
          cellValue = TextInput(event.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance).text; // the entered text
          cell = event.dataField; //the datafield attribute of the column

// Determine if the new value is too long for nvarchar field
          if(cell == 'WLNET' && cellValue.length > 35) {
          cellValue = cellValue.substr(0,35); //shortening it for user demonstrates expected length
          TextInput(event.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance).text = cellValue;
          event.preventDefault(); // Prevent the user from removing focus, and leave the cell editor open.

// Write a message to the errorString property.
          // This message appears when the user mouses over the editor.
          TextInput(event.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance).errorString="Entered text too long.";
          return;
          }
          }
          ]]>
          </mx:Script>

<mx:DataGrid id="enrolled_dg" editable="true" itemEditEnd="processEdit(event);">

I learned part of this from the Flex documentation online: Determining the reason for an itemEditEnd event