1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 3:13 AM by chijo65

Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)

tonyfalcone

I just spent HOURS on 2 different computers trying to do Focus Stacking for 2 jobs I'm working on which I couldn't get to work. I just used it a couple of weeks ago without a problem. (And yes I do use the correct procedure :Files>Scripts>Load Files Into Stacks>Attempt to Auto Align>Select All Layers(in Layers Panel)>Edit>Auto Blend Layers>Stack Images) Of course I thought it was something I was doing wrong, so I spent all this time trying to troubleshoot on my end. Finally I tried the Help Chat and spent another bunch of time reproducing the problem and making screen captures to show the CSR only to find out that it is a known issue at Adobe and it might be fixed in the next update. BTW, it was very obvious that the CSR was helping a list of customers at one time since it took so long in between responses. How aggravating.

Here's the rant I left on one of their questionnaires:

So you ask "How can we improve the Creative Cloud?" My answer is,  INFORM YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS WHEN THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH YOUR PRODUCT SO THEY DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEIR SYSTEM. JUST LIKE A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO, WITH THE ISSUE OF HAVING TO CONSTANTLY SIGN IN WHENEVER YOU LAUNCH ANY OF THE CREATIVE CLOUD APPS.

Is it really so difficult to do this now that we are joined at the hip with this monthly fee Creative Cloud? I'm sure that you'll let us know immediately if we don't make our monthly payment right?

• 1. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
          Churchward1956

Just had the same issue and as a new PS user you wonder that you are doing something wrong but it seems from the post above that I wasn't. I too have wasted a couple of hours trying to get it working but to no avail. I took out the monthly fee today to get PS just for the focus stacking and to find out it doesn't work is deeply disappointing. Come on ADOBE you can, and should be, doing better than this.

Hope it gets fixed soon. Are there any timescales?

Cheers

• 2. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
            tonyfalcone Level 1

Church if it helps at all, you can revert to the previous version of Photoshop CC where focus stacking still works. Still doesn't make up for the fact that we are not notified of any problems nor given the slightest idea of when it will be fixed.

• 3. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
              Mandolin_Tim Level 1

I would entirely agree having spent hours working out why Photo Merge wasn't working on my panoramas only to be told "The issue is known as a bug with the CC 2014 release and being worked on".  Well why weren't users told it was a bug as I've searched the CC help site and cannot find any reference to any bug with this feature.  Having deleted the original Photoshop CC due to space restrictions on m portable I'm now working through how to reload the programme.

• 4. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                tonyfalcone Level 1

To reload CC go to the Cloud>Apps>Find New Apps>All Apps>Previous Version 

• 5. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                  Mandolin_Tim Level 1

thanks, just discovered this.  What had me confused was that the list of apps in my creative cloud app still included the programmes I had uninstalled (I'm using Windows 7 not a Mac if this makes any difference).  I'm going to reinstall the old programme and go back to it until they (Adobe) sort out the mess that CC 2104 seems to be.

• 6. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                    Churchward1956 Level 1

Tony,

Thanks; I'm downloading the earlier version as I type using the instructions you gave to Tim.

Cheers

Brian

• 7. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                      Tino Hammid

Maybe I don't know how to use Help on the Adobe site but I couldn't find anything about this topic (which I'm experiencing too) so I finally just did a Google search and this thread came right up. Grrrr.

Dittos on the complaints because I've wasted a lot of time on this. First, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, then finally going back to the previous version of PS to find out that it still works there and it must be a bug in the 2014 version.

It sure would have been helpful of Adobe to send out a notice to their loyal user base telling us about this bug. Were they embarrassed or something and thought we wouldn't notice it? I mean what could they have been thinking? They're smart people and are used to putting themselves in the user's place. I use Auto-Blend all the time in my work and was really going nuts when it wouldn't work. Adobe MUST know how useful this relatively new feature is and that a whole lot of us use it now regularly. Maybe we're spoiled but, hey, they made the darn thing so they should know we've come to depend on it.

Blend on fellow users!

• 8. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

If it's an important feature to you...

Install2014.0.png

-Noel

• 9. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                          Tino Hammid Level 1

Noel, the illustration in your reply shows v15, the 2014 version highlighted. That's the one that has the bug. It's v14 (CC without "2014") that you'd need to download in order to use Auto-Blend.

• 10. Re: Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not quite. CC2014 is fine. CC2014.1 is not.

• 11. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                              Mandolin_Tim Level 1

Hmmm, agree.  I've wasted much time on this as well and almost gave up with Merges.  Have now back dated my PS to PSCC but the current version, which still merges well with good gradation.  To be honest I use Merges more for panoramas that stacks but they are similar in the way that PS works on them.  I would agree that they should have a method to let  users know what bugs have been introduced once they have been discovered - but I can also see that a weekly note showing what is wrong with a batch of programmes doesn't sit well with telling your users that the package are the best available and worth the subscription cost!

Having found my way back to PSCC (v14.0 x64) I have found an odd error in the Edit->Fill->Content-Aware command where the programme does  sh**** and gives up.  An odd error message with no number or dump, just "the programme has produced an error".  Whilst it seems able to cope with an area of very complex imaging in one corner when I ask it to fill an area which is blue sky and of similar tones it throws up the error.  Now don't get me started on the log-in process for these forums - it seems to be working well at the moment but earlier tonight (European time) I couldn't make any queries at all...

In answer to the last post (sorry, unfortunately JIVE doesn't show you the history to a post when you are replying so I don't remember your name) you obviously mean CC 14.1 not CC2014, I think your comment was a little ambiguous as it could have meant CC 14.1 or CC2014.1  I am now back on PS CC 14.1 rather than PS CC2014 and it seem to work fine - apart from the Content-Aware fill mentioned above.

• 12. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                Mandolin_Tim Level 1

Sorry, but I was having the same problem with merges on CC2014 as well as CC2014.1

• 13. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

What surprises me about this thread, is that so many people apparently removed PS CC after installing CC 2014.  AFAICT Jeff Tranberry has not updated his CC2014 FAQ with information regards the focus stacking bug.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2014/06/2014-release-of-photoshop-cc-faq.html

At the moment, I am using V14 more than V15 because of the issue with extensions.

• 14. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                    Tino Hammid Level 1

Thanks for that clarification Noel. I'm downloading it now. It appears that it will replace the current (buggy) version rather than simply installing another whole application that could cause confusion. Now we can just wait for the fixed version to appear and do a normal update.

• 15. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                      Mandolin_Tim Level 1

I had to remove it, I just ran out of room on my SSD!  Serves me right, next time I will think twice and make sure there is enough room for both.

• 16. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Tim, I don't know what OS you are using, but if you Google free space on (your OS) boot drive, you'll find a stack of links.  Some of the tips are actually advisable even without space saving, like turning off Windows 7 Hibernate.  Other than that, you have Desktop, Downloads, various cache, iTunes (backup) etc. etc.   A huge aid to doing this (if you are using Windows) is the free app WinDirStat that gives you a graphic display of drive usage.  Clicking on large blocks tells you what and where they are.  From there, Goggle tells you if they can be moved to your data drive.  One file you should not mess with is the Windows Page File.

https://windirstat.info/

windirstat.JPG

• 17. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                          Mandolin_Tim Level 1

Thanks, I will look into it but I have the SSD split into 2x100Gb drives (plus a Fujitsu system backup drive).  There isn't a lot of space on the C drive given it has a number of programmes I need access to while I am 'bush' for 5 months and the second drive is 80% photos + PSD's.  Easier when I am back home as the main system has mobs of RAM (48Gb) and Tb's of spare disc.  Can normally make do but the odd large panorama produced from 10-15 x D800 shots does chew up the RAM/disc quickly!  I've started to use my backup disc as a scratch disc having realised that disc space was the main problem.

• 18. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

A bit off topic, but my advice regarding sizing a SSD for use is this:

Determine how much space you really need NOW, then double it to leave room for what you'll need in the future.  Then double it again so that it will run with 50% free space, which does wonders for SSD performance.  In short, if you think you can get by with 128 GB, get a 512 GB drive.

At a third the price they were just 3 years ago, getting a big SSD isn't break-the-bank expensive any more.

-Noel

• 19. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                              lrl117 Level 1

Ditto on same issue.  Spent hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.  I thought that Adobe had learned about proper communication with some of their past issues.  I remember going crazy with the lightroom 4  upgrade.

PLEASE - let us know when you have an issue that will affect your clients.  We understand these things happen but there is no excuse for not notifying us so we don't waste time trying to figure out what you already know.  Thanks.

• 20. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                rdelboccio

Wow.  Glad I stumbled onto this thread.  All I was getting were black masks and I was going nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.  I am new to Adobe CC and JUST learned about focus stacking.  I tried to do it in the past with other software but was not getting anywhere and gave up.  Once I saw that I could do it in Photoshop CC I rushed to take some images to test, but I could not get it to work.  Been banging my head trying to figure it out.  Since I am new to Adobe CC, this "bug" (and the apparent lack of communication regarding it) leaves me a bit worried my choice.

• 21. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alerting customers to known issues like this is a reasonable request. Especially with a major functionality breakdown like this. It's a different matter with esoteric issues affecting only a few users.

Where to draw the line is always a question of course, but it doesn't have to be a comprehensive list. Just a "known issues" sticky on the top of the page, where staff can post a few lines along the lines of "yes, we're working on this". That would go a long way.

• 22. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                    ljhbti@btinternet.com Level 1

If it's any conciliation, this problem  was reported a few weeks ago via normal support channels and was acknowledged [picked up]  by the Adobe s/w engineers. I's being worked on. When it will be fixed, I've no idea.

LJH

• 23. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                      rdelboccio Level 1

Well, to the extent that I now know that I am not crazy.... well, I'm a little more sure anyway, yes, it is.

• 24. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

twenty_one wrote:

Alerting customers to known issues like this is a reasonable request. Especially with a major functionality breakdown like this. It's a different matter with esoteric issues affecting only a few users.

I'm sure that's a particularly troublesome distinction for Adobe in this particular case, for precisely the reason you mentioned.  Though it's a basic failure, I'd wager only a small minority of people use the various image combination features that rely on the functionality that's broken.

As a career software engineer / architect / manager who worked a long time in the corporate world myself, I've faced situations where a release was imminent yet some piece of functionality was found to be broken.  There comes a judgment process to determine whether a majority of folks will get value from the new version while a minority might find it problematic.  The two things I came away with from all that experience were:

• Document everything.  Let the customers know.  They need to be informed to make good decisions themselves, and it really helps no one to try to keep things secret.  No one's perfect, and surprisingly, customers are willing to be quite understanding IF you keep them in the loop.  It's not even a bad idea to publish the entire bug list.

• I decided that once I were to run my own business (which I do now) I would fix all known problems before release.  If that means a delay, so be it.  That's been especially effective for a number of reasons...  I don't get many problem reports (so I can move forward with new work), I don't have a shaky platform (so I can move forward with new work), etc.  Since I set the release schedule and since my development team is small I can pull it off.

I mention the latter note because now, with Adobe's new cloud delivery processes, shouldn't the pressure to release on a particular date have been reduced?

Is there still a "release date is king, and all else a distant second priority" philosophy at Adobe?  Of course a corporation should always challenge itself to get things done, but why did 15.1 (excuse me, 2014.1) have to be released right when it did rather than wait a few more weeks and fix at least the newly found problems?

I honestly thought the Creative Cloud shift would help fix the shortcoming at Adobe where they release what's on hand no matter whether it all works.

To Adobe's credit, the Creative Cloud application now does allow you to roll back to a working version if the newest one broke something you rely upon.  That's new, and I think an under-documented and under-appreciated feature.

-Noel

• 25. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                          lrl117 Level 1

Not sure what "normal support channels" means.  All we are asking is that Adobe communicates about the various bugs.  Don't make us search for them.  Be proactive in telling us, even if you are redundant.  We understand these things.  Thanks.

• 26. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                            Mandolin_Tim Level 1

Noel Carboni wrote:

twenty_one wrote:

I'm sure that's a particularly troublesome distinction for Adobe in this particular case, for precisely the reason you mentioned.  Though it's a basic failure, I'd wager only a small minority of people use the various image combination features that rely on the functionality that's broken.

As a career software engineer / architect / manager who worked a long time in the corporate world myself, I've faced situations where a release was imminent yet some piece of functionality was found to be broken.  There comes a judgment process to determine whether a majority of folks will get value from the new version while a minority might find it problematic.  The two things I came away with from all that experience were:

• Document everything.  Let the customers know.  They need to be informed to make good decisions themselves, and it really helps no one to try to keep things secret.  No one's perfect, and surprisingly, customers are willing to be quite understanding IF you keep them in the loop.  It's not even a bad idea to publish the entire bug list.

• I decided that once I were to run my own business (which I do now) I would fix all known problems before release.  If that means a delay, so be it.  That's been especially effective for a number of reasons...  I don't get many problem reports (so I can move forward with new work), I don't have a shaky platform (so I can move forward with new work), etc.  Since I set the release schedule and since my development team is small I can pull it off.

I mention the latter note because now, with Adobe's new cloud delivery processes, shouldn't the pressure to release on a particular date have been reduced?

Is there still a "release date is king, and all else a distant second priority" philosophy at Adobe?  Of course a corporation should always challenge itself to get things done, but why did 15.1 (excuse me, 2014.1) have to be released right when it did rather than wait a few more weeks and fix at least the newly found problems?

I honestly thought the Creative Cloud shift would help fix the shortcoming at Adobe where they release what's on hand no matter whether it all works.

To Adobe's credit, the Creative Cloud application now does allow you to roll back to a working version if the newest one broke something you rely upon.  That's new, and I think an under-documented and under-appreciated feature.

-Noel

Noel, I couldn't agree more with your comments.  I'm mad not because there is a problem but the lengths one needs to go to find out about it once you discover that something isn't working in the release the way one expected it to.  A "bug" sticky for each release at the top of a forum such as this is would BE A GOOD WAY OF HELPING USERS, a basic business ethic that Adobe seems to have forgotten about, the customer IS KING.  I'd agree that the CC was expected by users to sort out the problems of release timings but to their credit if you didn't see a release for 6 months due to increasing software bugs you might question the need to have a CC in the first place versus the old way of releasing updates.  Is this essentially a problem of software becoming tooo complex with fixes in one are just creating problems somewhere else? - I'm not a software engineer just a knowledgeable user.  If I was paying $50 a month for using a couple of CC programmes with disparate uses then I would be seriously thinking why but that question comes at the end of the year for me.

I would also agree that the rollback feature is very useful...

-Tim.

• 27. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                              left1screen

I am having, i.e., still having, the same problem.  I too am paying $50+ per month for the privilege of always having up-to-date software from Adobe.

Why is it so difficult to communicate with Adobe?   Does Adobe pay any attention to this blog?  Could they possibly reply in this blog with current information about when a fix might be forthcoming?  In what format will the fix come?  Presumably a new update?  I'd sure like to have some comfort that the problem is actually realized by Adobe, that it is being worked on, and that a fix might be forthcoming soon.

CEL 140829

• 28. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                rdelboccio Level 1

Hello everyone.  Short of installing an older version has Adobe announced an ETA on a fix for this issue in CC 2014.1??

I really would like to use this feature, but as someone posted above, I am also running an SSD drive as my primary drive and I'd like to save the space if I could.

Thanks.

Rich

• 29. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Adobe does not pre-announce release dates, so you could guess at an interval of roughly 2 months from the last release, based only on the time between the 2014.0 and 2014.1 updates...

2014.0 - June

2014.1 - August

Next one...  October???

I had thought we might be seeing interim minor releases (e.g., for individual bugfixes), but that's not been not the case so far.

-Noel

• 30. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                    lrl117 Level 1

This should not be a "release".  This is a fix and should be sent out as soon as it is done.  Two months to send out a fix because it is the normal schedule is not acceptable.  If you can't figure out the fix, tell us and we will be patient.

• 31. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                      rdelboccio Level 1

Thanks Noel.

Hey, I think I used to bump into you from time to time over at the DSLReports Digital Imaging forum.  I still have some Photoshop actions from you from way back on one of my hard drives here....Learned quite a bit from looking at how those actions worked.   Nice to see you again.

I I do agree with LrL117 with regards to the notifications... to an extent.  If Adobe came out with a statement regarding the progress of the fix(es) I'd likely not be happy with what they said anyway  (just being truthful... I am paying a WHOLE 10 bucks a month for Photoshop CC....  I am entitled, right?)  That being said, it would be nice to hear SOMETHING.

My Photoshop skill set is still just a tick or two above "nube" anyway, so there are a TON of other things I can be learning in the mean time...  But still..... you get my point.

Rich

• 32. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Hi Rich, yes I remember the DSLReports forum.

I would have thought Adobe would be able to manage both bugfix updates (for serious bugs) as well as releases that bring both features and bugfixes.  But it's not hard to imagine that maybe a bugfix would have to be so involved that it could potentially break other things, and so they want to test it very thoroughly before unleashing it on the public.  No software company wants to start a cycle where release after release are done too quickly and things get broken as others are fixed.

-Noel

• 33. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                          20william

tengo el mismo problema quisiera saber en que versión trabaja el focus stacking , es la única razón por la que tengo ps cc pero no puedo hacerlo es inquietante que adobe tengo este problema. agradecería su ayuda

• 34. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Certainly 14.2.1 works for it.

I don't know if Photoshop CC 2014.0 does it properly; 2014.1 replaced it for me here and I don't recall testing it specifically.

2014.2 (assuming that's what they call their next release) will work, given what we've heard from Adobe publicly so far on the subject.

-Noel

• 35. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                              Mandolin_Tim Level 1

Noel,

14.2.1 is actually Photoshop CC NOT Photoshop CC 2014.  The latter has the version number of 20140730.r.48 on my machine - I haven't updated since I discovered stacking wasn't working and won't until it is clear that the update includes a fix for this issue.  For now I will continue to work in 14.2.x although to be honest I haven't checked the panorama issue in the latest build of the older CC.

• 36. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                                chijo65 Level 1

I started using Helicon Soft | Helicon Soft Website works better and faster then moving in between CS6 and CC

and it produces better and sharper files faster ...

they do not care much for our time, so I just don't care if they make a fix and use other software.

• 37. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                                  AGee

find the same "bug" with Photoshop CC 2014 - Classroom in a book - lesson 5

I opened the prepared file "Glass_Start.psd" and use Auto Align Layers, then used Auto Blend Layers,

The result is that the top layer have totaly black mask applied and the bottom all white.

I have try to switch the Layers, but with same result, (first=black mask/ second white mask)

• 38. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                                    tonyfalcone Level 1

Wow! That Helicon software works great, and I can't believe how fast it is. I tried to test it against PS but I couldn't even get a usable image because one of the shots in the stack was slightly off center and PS couldn't rectify it, but the Helicon software had no problem with it. Anyone reading this thread should give it a try, there's a 30 day free trial. It's worth it just for the amount of time it saves. It's actually pretty embarrassing for a huge company like Adobe as to how this company could make software that works so quickly compared to theirs. 

Thanks chijo!

• 39. Re: Focus Stacking in CC 2014 No Longer Works (Rant)
                                                                                      rlrdigital Level 1

Just Back dated photoshop cc2014 to P/s cc .after hours of frustrating stacking macro photos to find it dosnt work,Finally it works with P/S cc thanks for the advice .nice to know there is a forum to sort out as photoshop couldn't be bother to let us know .

1 2 Previous Next