19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 3:35 PM by Peter Spier

CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

scm28 Level 1

I have InDesign CS5 on a Windows 7 computer.  The program will not launch, it errors out.  The description says APPCRASH error.  I have uninstalled and re-installed InDesign CS5 and yet still get the same result.  I have restarted the computer after the installs, and uninstalls just to be sure.  I have also changed the default printer to no avail. Adobe's complete abdication of their support of customers who paid a great deal for their product in a greedy grab to try and squeeze more money out of them is nauseating.  I have been unable to find an answer for a couple of weeks now. 

• 1. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

windows 7 crash reports are not very helpful, unfortunately. Can you describe what happens up to the point when the crash happens? Does the applicationopen and then crash, or crash during starup? if the latter, what is the last message you see in the splash screen?

• 2. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
            scm28 Level 1

It happens during startup.  I get a small window that says indesign.ext.  Then in side the window is this message:  Adobe Indesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected.  Please restart Indesign to recover any work in any unsaved InDesign Documents. Then there is an OK button.   That's all I get.  Then I get the windows crash report saying CS5 has stopped working, Check online for a solution and close program (which yields nothing) or close program.  Below are the details of the crash report.  Then I'm stuck.  I tried getting rid of the Adobefont.lst files like one of the troubleshooting suggestions but that did nothing as well. 

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: InDesign.exe

Application Version: 7.0.0.355

Application Timestamp: 4bad00be

Fault Module Name: Public.dll

Fault Module Version: 7.0.0.355

Fault Module Timestamp: 4bad0027

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00038737

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• 3. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

First thing is to try emptying the InDesign Recovery folder. It's hidden, and lives in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.0\<language>\Caches

If that get's you going, you also need to patch ID to 7.0.4...

• 4. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                scm28 Level 1

Sorry, I don't understand the last part about patch ID 7.0.4 - what am I supposed to do? 

• 5. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                  scm28 Level 1

I don't appear to have an Indesign recovery folder.  I also don't seem to have an AppData folder either, which is odd, because this is something I've seen before on other computers.  BTW, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help - It's a relief to get some sort of response! 

• 6. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

As I said, the folder is hidden. You must set Explorer to show hidden files and folders. In Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options, then the View tab and show hidden files.

Once ID is running it needs to be updated to version 7.0.4. you can do that from Help > Updates...

• 7. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                      scm28 Level 1

Sorry, this didn't work. I found the file, emptied it, and it still wouldn't launch.  I re-started the computer and tried again, and still no luck, same crash.  I double checked to be sure that the files were deleted from that folder and emptied the trash too.  It appears to make the same 3 files every time it crashes, so the files are now back in the folder.  I watched the files generate in the folder as I tried to launch the program. 

• 8. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

That's unfortunate. I was hopeful the crash was bad recovery data.

Are you seeing the workspace and menus before the crash? If not, there should be messages in the bottom of the startup splash screen and it would help to know what the last one you see is before the crash.

Did you ever run the cleaner tool before reinstalling?

• 9. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                          scm28 Level 1

I see different things sometimes before the crash.  Sometimes it makes it further through the sequence than others.  But the last things I see are "Initializing application...." and then "completing initialization....".  At that point I get the InDesign.exe crash window showing up saying it's shutting down as described in previous posts.  

As for using the cleaning tool, no I didn't use it.  For one thing it said it was for Creative Cloud products and was unsure whether it would work for CS5 and another, and I may be wrong about this, was that I had hoped to avoid removing and re- installing all of the other Creative Suite programs as they are working fine. Of course it's possible that this cleaner tool will allow me to clean only InDesign, but I haven't checked it.  If I must do so (remove and reinstall all of CS5,, of course I will, but it might result in problems I've had in the past with the licensing, since my CS5 is an upgrade from CS3 and Adobe has issues with that, and now that there is no phone service, I'm afraid I'll lose everything.  

• 10. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

The cleaner tool will work on CS5, but it's an all-or-nothing situation.

• 11. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                              scm28 Level 1

I thought so.  Well, if you recommend it as the best option, I will do it. 

• 12. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

Try starting up in Safe Mode first and see if that makes a difference.

• 13. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                                  scm28 Level 1

Unfortunately I already uninstalled everything.  I restarted, then ran the cleaning tool, reviewed the log as per instructions.  Even though it said that the cleaning tool was completed successfully in the terminal window for the tool, upon review of the log, it seems to have had a lot of failures.  I went into the appdata file and found that there still was an adobe file and some of them had files in them. 

The folders under Adobe are:

AAM Updater

Acrobat

Air

CameraRaw

Color

InDesign

SING

TypeSupport

Updater6

Should I just manually delete these before installing CS5 again? 

• 14. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

If that was the only version you had, then I think yes.

• 15. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                                      scm28 Level 1

Well, I believe I had some success. InDesign did open!  Hooray!  So the first thing I did was to do an Adobe update.  At the end of what looked like a regular download and installation, which took about 20+ minutes, I got the following messages.  Again, it looked like this worked fine right up until the time where it said it finished.  I opened Illustrator, and ran the updates under help, and it looked like all of the updates were still needed. 

Adobe Bridge CS5 4.0.5 Update

There was an error downloading this update. Please quit and try again later.

Adobe Extension Manager CS5 5.0 Update

Adobe Illustrator CS5 15.0.2 Update

Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.5 Update

Adobe® InDesign® CS5 7.0.4 update

Dreamweaver CS5 11.0.4 Updater

Fireworks CS5 11.0.2 Update

Photoshop 12.0.4 update for Photoshop CS5

Photoshop Camera Raw 6.7 Update

• 16. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                                        scm28 Level 1

I should also mention that this is an upgrade version from CS3.  When I input the serial # of the CS5, it accepted it and installed the suite.  But now the updates aren't working and I was sent to this link.  I'm not sure how to proceed.  Error "This serial number is not for a qualifying product" | CS6, CS5.5, CS5

I have the CS3 discs and serial #, just not sure what to do with them.  I do not wish to install CS3 and then install CS5. 

• 17. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

During the install you should have been asked to provide proof of the qualifying previous product, which usually can be done by inserting the other disk or typing in the serial number for the product. At this point I think you should be selecting the correct product from the list (I presume one of the CS3 suites), then type in the serial number from CS3.

You might want to try downloading the extension manager update manually from the bottom of this page: Adobe Extension Manager Updates Downloads, then run the other updates again. It might also work better if you download the updates manually form the various update pages.

• 18. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!
                                            scm28 Level 1

First, I do not recall it asking for the serial # of a previous product.  I suppose it's possible, but I don't think it was there.  But that being said, it said that the serial # was valid from the CS5 upgrade, accepted it and installed the entire suite.  Is there any way to update this without uninstalling the entire thing again? 

I tried downloading the extension manager as per the instructions above but got the same error.  It would not install. 

• 19. Re: CS5 InDesign Appcrash Windows 7 - HELP!!!!

Have you tied manually downloading the updates from the various pages at Adobe.com?