I am considering subscribing to Lightroom mobile for iPad so I decided to give it a trial run with 2000+ photos sync-ed (iPad 3, Nikon D7000 raw files). The performance is awful!
- Browsing through the images is fairly decent. Flagging also does a good job and seems that export works fine, but that is as far as I would go in praising the app.
- Downloading from the cloud for offline use takes time (for sure my internet connection's bandwidth is not the problem) and the app does not sync files for offline use when the iPad locks. I had to change the iPad lock settings to "never" in order to be able to download the full set of images. The iPad went from 50% battery to 10% just to download the files. That long it took, with the brightness dimmed to the minimum.
- With all other apps closed on the iPad (and offline from CC), it takes 2 to 5 seconds for loading the adjustment values (not to render the image) when moving to a new image (all image info off: exposure settings and histogram).
- When using basic adjustments and crop I have found it very difficult to apply the same settings to the next image. Simply the Previous button is inactive. Browsing back and forth seems to activate this button at random times. But clicking on it and selecting "Everything from previous" does not bring any settings. Neither the basic adjustments, nor the crop settings. Although the image seems to be re-rendering.
- In this case above, once the "Previous" button is reactivated, clicking on it highlights the selection (e.g. "Everything from previous") but no settings are applied. The menu does not close. I can click on "everything from" or "basic tones from" and they get highlighted but nothing happens. The menu does not close. Extremely annoying.
- Same thing for the Reset menu. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I have managed (again at random times) to reset the image to the import settings, browse back and forward to other images, return to the image and then apply the settings from previous photo successfully. But only if I wait 2-3 seconds after the "Previous" menu pops-up.
- When I hit the Reset -> All menu and then Previous -> "Everything", the image seems to only receive distortion correction (applied on the desktop to all photos upon import). No other settings are applied (basic adjustments or crop).
- When connected to CC, performance degrades even more as it seems that the app is checking for updated settings to the file. It adds an additional 2-3 seconds per image...
Is there a fix in the works for these annoyances? At the current stage of the app, I do not consider subscribing to Creative Cloud as the app is basically unusable for batch processing.
It would be best if the app would be optimised for batch processing as at the moment it seems as poor as the Photos app on the iPad (with some versatility in terms of the settings that can be tweaked). Any target date for a future update? My trial expires in 20 days or so and I am not impressed for now.
I am not bothered by the slow rendering of the images on my device (for sure the iPad Air would do a better job) but the user interface is extremely slow and unusable. I have managed to edit 135 photos in 2 weekend days (roughly 4 hours of use). Very disappointed.