12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2014 10:22 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

Moonkeys25

After successful installation and starting Premiere Elements the following error message appears: "Uncompatible display driver identified. Update the display driver for a better and faster playback performance!" Hopefully my translation from German is helpful enough. I confirmed with OK but unfortunately Premiere Elements does not start. I checked the display driver: it is the most actual one: AMD Radeon HD 7610M. Furthermore the hardware should be OK as well: ASUStek with an Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @2.5 GHz; 6 GB RAM; 64 Bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1. What can I do?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

•Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

•For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

•-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible
            A.T. Romano Community Member

Moonkeys25

If you are sure that you have the latest video card/graphics card driver version according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file. In Windows 7 64 bit the path to it is:

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file for version 12.0 that you delete. In this Premiere Elements Folder are folders besides the BadDrivers.txt file for 12. You want only the BadDrivers.txt file in the Premiere Elements Folder, not anything in the folders in the Premiere Elements Folder.

BadDrivers.JPG

That lone BadDrivers.txt file (seen outside all those folders) is what you delete. After you delete the BadDrivers.txt, close out of there, and reopen Premiere Elements 12 project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file but now the problem "should" be gone.

Does your computer use only that one video card/graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 7610M)? How long did the program run well before you received the Display Card Error message? Is this message appearing immediately when you open to the Expert workspace or does it appear only after you import a file to the Expert workspace Timeline?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible
              Moonkeys25 Community Member

Dear ATR,

Sorry, please see my below comments in red.

Am 18.08.2014 02:16, schrieb A.T. Romano:

>

Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display

driver is incompatible

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>

in /Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6648973#6648973>

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

Moonkeys25

Thanks for the reply. But, I do not see a message included with the reply in red or other.

Please try again when you have time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

Moonkeys25

Thanks for trying to reply. But your latest replies are coming through with no message.

Please try again.

If you are replying via an email notification, maybe try to post your message by using your default browser to navigate to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum and insert your reply in your thread there.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

ATR

The program never worked. There is not any "baddrivers.txt" file.

After successful installation: At first I clicked on "Movie Editor", then on "New Project". The error message appears after about 10 seconds after having clicked on "New Project". I quit with "OK", then after one second the same error message appears again. I quit again with "OK". Then the loading process goes on for many seconds but stops then without entering into the program.

Thanks

Moonkeys25

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

Moonkeys25

Thank you for the reply. Because of the error message that you are getting, I want to get the BadDrivers.txt file deletion matter ruled in or out. It is an important matter so that is why I am so focused on it.

You say that you do not find a BadDrivers.txt file in your Windows 7 64 bit. Please confirm that you have gone to the Folder Options dialog and dotted (selected) the option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

Click on Start

In the Search field above Start button, type in Folder Options

At the top of that left column, you should then see the text Folder Options.

Click on the text Folder Options to open to the Folder Options dialog.

Next click on the View Tab in the Folder Options dialog.

In the View Tab list of options, dot the one for Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.

After you close out of there, reopen Premiere Elements and confirm that you are still seeing the Display card error. If so, close out of there.

Go to

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder delete the BadDrivers.txt file as detailed in post 2.

In this phase of the troubleshooting, please continue to make the distinction of when the Display error is seen - when opening the project before media are imported or only after media is imported.

The outcome of the above will determine the next step(s).

a. deactivation within the program (if you can get into a project) - if not skip

b. uninstall the usual Control Panel way

c. free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

d. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

and

if necessary, create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and install and run Premiere Elements

there.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

ATR,

I could unhide baddrivers.txt and therefore I could delete it => however with no difference: I click on "New project", it lasts 19 sec and then the above described error message occurs. Having quitted after 1 sec the error message appears again. Having quitted again after another minute procedure stops.

So should I follow your option b. now? If yes, how shall I do it?

Moonkeys25

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

Moonkeys25

Recap...please confirm that as of this date, the problem exists with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Moving forward...

If you issue was specific to the display card error that you have been getting then probable conclusions

a. the ADM Radeon H7610M driver version is not up to date

or

b. the ADM Radeon H7610 M video card/graphics card installed as is is not compatible with Premiere Elements 12 on your Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

The updated driver version and the BadDrivers.txt file deletion should have corrected the problem unless there is a gross mismatch between Premiere Elements 12 and ADM Radeon H7610M.

Did you use the link that John posted to get the auto detection of the latest driver version for the ADM card?

If we have gone as far as we can with the card and its driver version angle on this, then we can try the generalized troubleshooting drills with no guarantees, just hopes

1. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. You just need to make sure to have the computer's Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If "1" has no effect on the issue...uninstall, ccleaner run through time, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned off.

a. Control Panel/Program, select Adobe Premiere Elements 12, right click the entry and click on the Uninstall pop up. Then follow the instructions for the uninstall.

b. Download and install the free ccleaner for a computer run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and installs.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

When you are ready for this step, I will give you a step by step through the ccleaner (regular cleaning part and registry cleaning part).

c. Reinstall from your installation files or installation disc, with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Please review above and then let me know if I have interpreted correctly where we are in the troubleshooting. Do not start the above plan until we are in agreement on the details and hoped for results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

ATR,

The problem is solved:

First I followed the recommendation of John T Smith and searched for an updated driver version (not trusting the Windows message). I found one on the AMD and later on the ATI webside. With both routes I failed. Both recommended an RADEON HD-type. Both didn´t work. However by doing this I learned from the Windows 7 Tools Manager, that there obviously existed a second graphic driver from Intel. So instead of an AMD-type, I tried to install another Intel graphic driver successfully: Intel(R)HD Graphics 3000. With this driver, Premiere Elements 12 starts and works well now. Windows by itself stopped the AMD driver without deinstallation.

Again: These learnings I had with my laptop: ASUS X53S type from 2011 running with OP Windows 7, 64bit.

Hopefully my feedback is helpful for you and other users.

Thank you very much for your support!

Moonkeys 25

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 does not start after error message: display driver is incompatible

Moonkeys25

Thanks for the reply with the great news that your Premiere Elements 12 display card error is resolved.

The situation that you faced occurs frequently when the computer has more than one video card/graphics card.

I suspect that you overlooked my question to you back in post 2

Does your computer use only that one video card/graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 7610M)?

I never saw a reply to my question from you until now. The Device Manager/Display Adapter/ area should be checked to confirm

the video card/graphic card(s) installed whenever display card error message appears and requires troubleshooting.

But, nonetheless, you did a good job in sorting out the details and getting your Premiere Elements 12 to work for you.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...If you have not already, please update your Premiere Elements 12 to 12.1 Update, using the opened project's Help Menu/Update.