7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 4:00 PM by thedigitaldog

Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.

Electuur

I am using Lightroom 4.4 and Photoshop CS6 with an Epson Stylus Photo P50. In both programs I have set colour management handled by printer, and in both programs I have set printer colour profile to Adobe RGB. Prints from Photoshop are ok, prints form Lightroom are wrong and have to low saturated colours. Greyscale seems to be comparable. In both programs the image on screen is the same and ok. How can I get Lightroom print the correct colours?

• 1. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.
          Lr5user-pt Level 2

My guess is that LR is sending a Prophoto RGB image to the printer and PS is converting to Adobe RGB when opening the image, hence the less saturated colors of LR, and the printer is not aware of this and is interpreting the values as encoded in a different space. I'm not sure it is a good idea to use Adobe RGB as the printer profile (Adobe RGB is a working space, not an output space). It's better to use a profile specific to your printer, paper and inks used.

• 2. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Electuur wrote:

In both programs I have set colour management handled by printer, and in both programs I have set printer colour profile to Adobe RGB.

That's your first problem, setting the color profile to Adobe RGB (1998)! You need to set the printer profile for the paper and ink for that Epson.

• 3. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.
              Electuur Level 1

I don’t have profiles for my printer, ink and paper combinations and want to use the default profiles supplied by the printer. This works with me for Photoshop.

I thought I had read that the printer output of Lightroom is in Adobe RGB, and only Lightroom workspace works with Prophoto RGB. I suppose it is not possible to set Lightroom printer output to Adobe RGB?

• 4. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.

Electuur wrote:

I don’t have profiles for my printer, ink and paper combinations and want to use the default profiles supplied by the printer. This works with me for Photoshop.

I thought I had read that the printer output of Lightroom is in Adobe RGB, and only Lightroom workspace works with Prophoto RGB. I suppose it is not possible to set Lightroom printer output to Adobe RGB?

Use Printer Manages Color IF you don't have an output profile.

LR uses ProPhoto RGB like color space for it's internal color processing but this has nothing to do with setting that for a print! See: http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200701_rodneycm.pdf

• 5. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.
                  Lr5user-pt Level 2

The way I understand it, the Adobe RGB in the Print module applies only to the previews, and draft printing, but I may be wrong.

See Lightroom Help | Color management. Under "How Lightroom manages color" it says:

"Lightroom uses Adobe RGB:

- for previews in the Library, Map, Book, Slideshow, Print, and Web modules

- when printing in Draft mode"

- ..."

In another help document Lightroom Help | Print job options and settings it says:

"To send the image data to the printer driver without first converting the image according to a profile, choose Managed By Printer."

So, I assume LR is sending the image in its internal color space, but then again it is just my interpretation, although it is compatible with what happens, i.e.  the "color numbers" from a big color space are sent to a smaller color space, without conversion, and the colors get washed out. It is much the same as when an Adobe RGB encoded image is viewed on non-color managed program.

As you do not have specific profile for your printer and get good results using Adobe RGB you may want to try to cheat a little.

Try this: in the Color Management tab of the Print module, instead of selecting "Managed by printer" select "Other..." and you will see a list of the available profiles on your computer (eventually ticking "Include display profiles"). There, choose Adobe RGB.

In any case, I'm convinced this is NOT the correct approach.

• 6. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.
                    Electuur Level 1

I think I found a solution to print to a printer that has paper profiles for Adobe RGB  (or any other colour space). Create a soft proof  copy of your photo with the colour space you do have profiles for (Adobe RGB in my case) and choose the rendering intent you desire (perceptual for photos i suppose). Then print the soft proof photo with the standard profile for that paper supplied with your printer and disable colour management of the printer.

I tried this and it seems to work. I also tried draft mode. This gave reasonable results, but is based on the preview cache. It convinced me that in draft mode the Adobe RGB colour space is used.

• 7. Re: Colour prints ok with Photoshop but wrong  with Lightroom.

Electuur wrote:

I think I found a solution to print to a printer that has paper profiles for Adobe RGB  (or any other colour space). Create a soft proof  copy of your photo with the colour space you do have profiles for (Adobe RGB in my case) and choose the rendering intent you desire (perceptual for photos i suppose).

You are horribly confused about color management and printing, and you're kind of chasing your tail with the above. Adobe RGB (1998) doesn't even have a Perceptual rendering intent (table)! Either find a proper output profile or use Printer Manages Color. But trying to use an RGB working space profile in place of the actual printer output profile is not the correct solution if I can be so kind to use the word solution here.