5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 8:18 AM by Andy Pearson G680DW

Playing a loaded camcorder video clip

Andy Pearson G680DW

My PC came with a trial version of Elements Premiere v9 some time back, but it has never been in my interest to try to do anything with it up until now.

Now I wanted to explore it a little bit, I say wanted because I've found I cannot even try out the trial version with any of the video clips I have (most taken over the past 6 months).

I've already used up days of my trial version trying to at least see some of my video clips, let alone do anything with them, but to no avail. They've loaded, apparently OK, but when I try to play them, all I get is the sound track.

All I wanted to do was in the first place, see how Premiere looked and worked with them, and give myself a little look at the product, and then perhaps try a little magic.

But I haven't even got over the starting line.

There is a suggestion that upgrading my video driver might 'improve' how things appear when played, but right now, I don't see anything, let alone be looking for improvements, and my driver is only a year or so old.

Purchasing this product was not the last thing on my mind up until now, but it's getting close to being so following my experience with it (and Adobe) so far.

I've spent days trying to get somewhere, I've even now joined the community (I think), and I have to say, I'm disappointed, not with the community, I must emphasize, but with the product.

All I wanted to do was have a quick look at the product, I didn't want to spend days and hours trying to do something as basic and simple as look at a wee camcorder clip.

Even now, I don't really know what I'm asking of the community, but even a word of sympathy might make me feel better.

Andy.

• 1. Re: Playing a loaded camcorder video clip
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 2. Re: Playing a loaded camcorder video clip
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camcorder that is recording these videos that you want to import, edit, export using Premiere Elements 9?

There are certain guidelines to success which include knowing the properties of the source media and the basics of the program.

So, what are the properties of those videos. Hopefully we can figured that out from your answer to the lead in question...video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. Right now video compression would top the list.

Do you have the 9.0.1 Update installed for your Premiere Elements 9? If not, please do so. Instead of Help Menu/Update, use the download from Adobe.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? If it is and problem persisted, we could delete the BadDrivers.txt file. More details on that once you tell us the computer operating system involved.

Do any of these video files play back successfully on the popular computer players such as QuickTime, Windows Media Player, VLC Player?

More later. We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Playing a loaded camcorder video clip
              Andy Pearson G680DW Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for your quick response.

Re the PC, it's a Packard Bell with an Intel CORE i5 processor, and 9GB RAM.  

Re the computer OS, it's Windows 7, 64 bit, with Service Pack 1, with which the Elements and Elements Premier 9 came.

Re the Camcorder, it's a Canon Legria HF R57.

Re the videos, I press the button, the camera does the rest, they arrive on my PC via Elements Organizer 9 and get a file extension of .MTS.

They play without any problem in QuickTime, Windows Media Player, and Windows Movie Maker.

Furthermore, as such, they can be picked up and played properly with my PhotoDex ProShow Gold product.

Within Elements Organizer, they play vision without audio, whereas within Premiere, they play audio without vision, some degree of inconsistency within Elements, I suggest.

They can be converted to a .wmv file by Windows Movie Maker, after which sound and vision plays within Elements Organizer, but doesn't make any difference within Premiere.

Re video properties, I see a Frame Size of 1440w by 1080h, a Frame Rate of 25fps, for the rest, I haven't a clue and wouldn't know where to find out.

I will try to update Premiere Elements to 9.0.1.

I don't know how to update the video card/graphics driver, but it all seems a bit much to have to do just to try out Premier, when everything else I have does not have any problems with the drivers, I can even edit my clips elsewhere.

Once again, thank you for your attention, I too will be watching for further information if available.

Regards..............Andy Pearson

• 4. Re: Playing a loaded camcorder video clip
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Andy Pearson

Thanks for the reply with details.

This is does not sound like a computer resource problem, but let me get mention computer resources as it relates to Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in your computer environment. Your 9 GB installed RAM are not an advantage in this case. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows 7 64 bit and as such has the limitations of 32 bit system (max supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available.

Definitely go with the 9.0.1 Update. Best use the download from Adobe rather than using a project's Help Menu/Update for that.

I gave you the link for that 9.0.1 Update in post 2 of this thread. Premiere Elements 9.0 was notorious for its display issues that had far reaching impact on the program.

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

The deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file saved many with this display issue, especially when the user was certain that his/her computer video card/graphics card driver version was up to date. The rationale behind deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file is given in post 10 of the Premiere Elements 9 link. You really should look into what video card/graphics card your computer uses and determine if the driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card. You may get to the point where you want to delete the BadDrivers.txt file. To do that

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Right now I would focus on what you can and cannot import into Premiere Elements and put the Elements Organizer matters aside for now. The way things work, when you import a file into Premiere Elements project, a copy is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. Is that happening?

Now as to what one would think as the prime target here, video formats...now here is where I need more information ...from what I have put together on what you wrote...

a. if you have the Canon HF R57 and your files have a .mts file extension, that camera would be expected to be recording with

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264.video compression

Use Dolby Digital 2 channel Audio

Be 1920 x 1080p50 (not 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9)

I went up and down the camera's user guide to dig that out. Can you confirm any of it?

Are you in any way converting the camera output before it gets to Premiere Elements? That is, have you tried to import the video as is into Premiere Elements with its Get Media/Files and Folders? If so, what did you use for the project preset?

Do you ever use Dropbox for sharing videos? If so, if you want to send a sample of your video in a Dropbox link in one of your replies, I can test it

to see if I have the same problems with it as you are reporting.

Please review.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Playing a loaded camcorder video clip
                  Andy Pearson G680DW Level 1

Thanks again ATR,

I'm out of time for the moment to try everything you've suggested, but I'll get back to it in the next few days, all being well.

Thanks again.

Regards..............Andy Pearson