5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 5:46 PM by A.T. Romano

What files to back up?

teddypierce Level 1

Premier Elements seems to create many different file types. I would like to know which files are worth backing up and which ones can be skipped. Thanks

• 1. Re: What files to back up?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

You always backup your source media. And, you should consider archiving projects for storage purposes using the program's Project Archiver (Archive Project or Copy Project option).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

As for the files that the project automatically generates during the course of some of its activities...

Preview files (from Timeline rendering)

SD project, DV AVI (whether still or video is Timeline rendered)

HD project, MPEG2.mpeg (whether still or video is Timeline rendered) plus companion xmp informational file)

Can be deleted, just Timeline render after the delete in the project if you need the best possible preview.

Conformed audio files

Cfa and Pek set

Can be deleted. The program will generate new ones if and when the program decides it needs them.

Conformed video files

.mcdb

Can be deleted. The program will generate new ones if and when the program decides it needs them.

In the absence of further details from you, please review the above and give further information so that we can customize/fine tune

the reply to your specific situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What files to back up?
            teddypierce Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your reply and all the detailed information. I am running Premier Elements 12 with Windows 7. I am working on a video project, and after rendering, my Mozy backup grew by almost 20 GB! That is what is driving my interest in knowing more about the various files.

• 3. Re: What files to back up?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

Keep an watch on those preview files and their hard drive save location. They can pile up as you do Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview after a Timeline edit. But, you should have good resources with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. In this situation, Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is a 64 bit application which can take advantage of the 64 bit system resources.

When you went to the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, did you find most, if not all, of those 20 GB represented files in that folder DV AVI, MPEG2.mpeg, xmp?

ATR

• 4. Re: What files to back up?
                teddypierce Level 1

ATR,

Finally got some time to use the good info you provided. Got a few follow-up questions.

1. Seems clear to me that most space is taken up by source video and .prv files. True? Do I understand correctly that .prv files are recreated whenever you render, so need not be backed up?

2. If .prv files get recreated at render, what files contain the information to recreate the project from the source avi. files when the project is opened?

3. What is the role ( and are they recreated) of .prel files, layout files, style files, and CAObjectTrackResults files?

I am a retired engineer. Asking endless questions is in my DNA. Thanks for your help and patience.

• 5. Re: What files to back up?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

teddypierce

1. I would not backup preview files. And the AutoSaves which are snapshot backups of your project at various stages.are supposed to save you if the project crashes.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Saving and backing up projects

2. When you import your source (.avi or whatever), all you get in the project are copies of that source not the originals at their hard drive save location.

But, the copies embedded in the project need to trace back to the corresponding originals in the hard drive save location where they were when they were imported into the project. So, under no conditions move, delete, or rename folders and files after the project has been saved closed. If you do, you will be in for some very unpleasant media reconnects.

3. Preview files are not recreated if you delete them. You just need to re-render the Timeline files that were render to generate them in the first place.

See Adobe's description for role. Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Previewing movies

Styles.

Relating to the Styles Folder in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/--/

A while back I wrote the following suggestion for saving user custom styles before an uninstall/reinstall

This one needs more work, but this is the tentative plan. Proceed with caution. However, this has been road tested and worked every time.

Locate the workingset.prsl file

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

11.0 or 12.0

Styles

and in the Styles Folder should be a file name workingset.prsl. The user custom styles should be a set in this one .prsl file rather than each created Style having a file of its own. Rename this workingset.prsl to workingset.OLD. Save this .OLD file to the computer desktop for safe keeping.

Then reinstall the program, but do not open it yet. Go to the Styles Folder in the path given, remove any workingset.prsl file found there after the reinstall, place the workingset.OLD in its place, rename the workingset.OLD to workingset.prsl. Open Premiere Elements. The user created Styles should be available again in the Styles section of the Titler.

Some have found renaming the workingset.prsl the way to recover text styles if they go missing.

To be continued for Layouts and CAObjectTrack Results.

ATR