3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 11:10 AM by dj_paige

Synchronize catalog, but delete photos from one computer

mark.steudel

I have the following setup:

1. Laptop - We download recent pictures onto our laptop to edit/flag etc., once we are done with them (posting them to facebook or making photo albums) we delete them off the laptop

2. Desktop - This computer gets a dump of all the photos and just backups up photos to the online backup system

It would be awesome if we could transfer flagging from the laptop to the backup computer. I thought perhaps we could setup drop box synchronizing so pictures on the backup computer could be flagged (from the laptop). But since  we can't store all the pictures on our laptop I was curious if it would cause major problems if the laptop deleted pictures, and the backup computer ddidnt. Anyway hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks in advance, Mark

• 1. Re: Synchronize catalog, but delete photos from one computer
          dj_paige Level 9

The only way to transfer flags from one computer to another is to use File->Export as Catalog on one computer, transfer the catalog and photos, and then on the other computer use File->Import from Another Catalog.

If you are going to do this, don't delete the photos from Lightroom or from your hard disk until you complete the transfer. Then, on the laptop, you can delete the photos from Lightroom, or delete photos from both Lightroom and the hard disk, your choice.

Reading between the lines, I get the impression you want to delete the photos from Lightroom on the desktop after you upload to Facebook or create a photo album. My advice is to not delete from Lightroom on the desktop and do not delete from the hard disk. Leave your photos in Lightroom on the desktop! That way your edited photos and flags and other metadata are always available. Once you delete from Lightroom, your edits are gone, your flags are gone, and I can't recommend this.

• 2. Re: Synchronize catalog, but delete photos from one computer
            mark.steudel Level 1

Actually other way around. We work on our laptops most of the time and that's where we do our editing/uploading etc. So we want to delete them from our laptops, which have limited space, but transfer flags/ratings to the desktop which would keep all the photos in lightroom. (Right now we are using google's picassa).

• 3. Re: Synchronize catalog, but delete photos from one computer
              dj_paige Level 9

Yes, I understood that, and my advice is that once the photos are transferred to Lightroom on the desktop, you do not delete them from Lightroom or from the hard disk. As I said, this was reading between the lines, you didn't say you were going to do that, but just in case ...