6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 9:52 AM by silver cloud uk

why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?

silver cloud uk

I recently downloaded LR v5.6 64 bit. Since then I can't seem to import either Nikon NEF files shooting on a D800 and a D700 or Canon CR2 RAW files@. The previous version of v5 did. Why not this one? It's really irritating (more than) as all I want to do is import/manipulate/export in my preferred format. Simples!

• 1. Re: why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?
          dj_paige Level 9

Tell us what happens when you try to import photos. If there is an error message, please quote it exactly.

• 2. Re: why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?
            silver cloud uk Level 1

I open LR; click on Import (bottom left hand corner of the screen; select the folder of images I want to import. All the images then appear on  the screen. Then (as I always have done) I click on the Import button on the bottom right hand side of the screen. However, the images then disappear and a message appears There are no Photographs in Your Collection.

I have since accidently discovered that I can access those images through the Navigator section on the top left of t he screen. However, the images weren't listed by the name of the original folder.

I really don't understand why Adobe had to change a simple system and made it unnecessarily complicated.

If someone could educate me as to the correct import procedure I would be grateful. I have tried t he import/copy as DNG files but I don't seem to be able to get that to work either.

Many thanks

• 3. Re: why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?
              dj_paige Level 9

If you are getting a message after import that there are no photographs to display, it is because you have (perhaps accidentally) turned on a filter. Turn off all filters (ctrl-L once or twice, probably once).

• 4. Re: why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?
                silver cloud uk Level 1

Thanks! I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on :-)

• 5. Re: why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nothing is different in the newest LR 5.x regarding importing, so you've probably accidentally set something differently and aren't sure how to fix it.

There are generally two ways to import, and it's not entirely clear which one you're doing:

1) You copy the photos from the card to your computer using LR, which involves selecting the card, choosing Copy (or Copy as DNG) as the import type and then also selecting where you want the photos to go before clicking Import.

2) You copy the photos from the card to your computer outside of LR, using an OS function or other app like Explorer or Finder or a special downloader program then you start LR and do File / Import and choose the new folder and tell LR to import from there, and would usually select Add as the import type although you can select Move if you only copied photos to a temporary location.

It's not entirely clear which of these you're doing and which options you might have selected.  As the Import progresses or at least once it has finished, LR selects the Previous Import (or similar wording) built-in collection up at the top left just under the All Photographs collection, and you see the thumbnails in the Grid view. 

You have described seeing a message that says No Photographs in Collection.  If the collection you have highlighted is the Previous Import collection, then to me that suggests that the photos have already been imported and so the import didn't actually find anything new.  If you're trying to import the same photographs over and over that could happen.

You also talk about finding the photographs in Navigator but not in their original folders.  Do you mean finding them in the Catalog section under the Navigator section at the top left of Library or is Navigator a computer program you use to find things?  If it's in LR, perhaps you did a Move import when intending to do an Add import so the photos went somewhere else instead of where you had already copied them and subsequent imports aren't doing anything due to duplicate checking being on (which it should be), and this is confusing.  Reimporting the same set of photos won't do any good because LR already knows it's imported them.  You probably need to right-click on one of the photos when you find it in the Previous Import or All Photographs collections and choose Go to Folder in Library just to see where it is, then perhaps drag-and-drop the photo into the folder where you do want it to be.

• 6. Re: why doesn't the very latest version of LR 5 not import Nikon NEF files?
                    silver cloud uk Level 1

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help and knowledge. I have tried what you have suggested and I seemed to have solved my issues importing into LR. Much appreciated :-)