3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 2:51 PM by JimHess

convert 16 bit tiff?

ToddMcIntosh

I am trying to recover disk space and have been using the DNG Converter to save 10-20 percent on my Canon cr2 files

I also have over 256 Gigs of 16 bit tiff files that I have outputted over the years from the HDR program Photomatix Pro,

When I originally saved them I saved them at a bit depth of 16 so I would have more to work with for the final editing.

So, on average the tiff  files are each about 100 megs, I am guessing that as a DNG , it would shrink that by about 75%

DNG converter doesnt like the 16 bit tiffs and skips them.

Is there another piece of software that can convert 16 bit tiffs to DNG

OR

Is there another piece of software that can batch convert 16 bit tiffs to 8 bit so I can dump  then them into the DNG converter without having to do each file one by one.

Thanks

Todd McIntosh

• 1. Re: convert 16 bit tiff?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never used the DNG converter in the manner you are suggesting. However, I just tried converting 2 16-bit TIF images to 8-bit TIF images, And then tried converting them with the DNG converter. The converter didn't seem to like the images, and the conversion didn't take place. Have you converted 8 bit TIF images before using the DNG converter? I'm just curious to know.

• 2. Re: convert 16 bit tiff?
            ToddMcIntosh Level 1

I have not used it before to convert 8-bit Tiffs.

I am only assuming it does so, because the program pulls the tiff files into the cue when you have them in the folder you are converting.

When the program goes to convert them (16 bit tiffs) it gives me a status of ...

"there was an error parsing the file"

Perhaps I am incorrect in assuming the results would be different with an 8 bit Tiff.

Hmmmm,

Todd

• 3. Re: convert 16 bit tiff?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I got the same error on the 8-bit TIF files that I just tried to convert. Incidentally, Photoshop is one program that will convert from 16-bit to 8-bit.