30 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2014 8:51 AM by rob day

Issues with my .ai logo

chhc2304 Level 1

I am new to InDesign and Adobe prodpucts.  The company I work for already has all their logos created in .ai and .eps   However, when I upload the .ai file into my document the color is dull, almost like there is transparency applied to it.  But I checked that, and there is not.  I did an example save of the document in my print ready pdf, and the logo did not appear normal there either.  Does anyone know why this may be an issue?

What confuses me more is, I created a rack card a couple weeks ago in powerpoint and I had the printer put the design into Indesign because I was still familiarizing myself with it. I gave them the same .ai logo (but the saved powerpoint design I had made I used a jpeg of the logo) and the print came out perfectly.

What is the issue and how can I fix this?

• 2. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
          chhc2304 Level 1

What?  Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to tell me.  Could you please elaborate?

• 3. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Michael is a moderator and moved your question into the InDesign Forum...

Sounds like the logo has a transparent background or uses an effect like drop shadow, which is also transparency. Try Edit> Transparency Blend Space > Document RGB

• 4. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
              chhc2304 Level 1

Ok, I did this but it is not working.    While I'm working in InDesign the logo appears normal1.png

but when the work is saved to a pdf it looks like this. 

1.png

• 5. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should check if you have applied a transparency effect on following places:

• Illustrator: Fill (look int Appearance Panel)
                • InDesign: Object, or Fill, or select the image with the direct selection tool and look into the Effects Panel, each of this cases separately.

It could be reduced transparency or a fill mode other than normal.

• 6. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't see the problem, although I do notice that you're not viewing the PDF in Acrobat or Reader, so that would be the first thing I'd correct.

In any case, the difference you're seeing is very typical of on-screen simulated process-print output vs. pre-simulation RGB-borne viewing.

• 7. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                    chhc2304 Level 1

No, that was the first thing that I checked.  There is no transperacy set under Objects>effects.  There are no effects set to the image.  I am not seeing "Fill" option anywhere other than the "fill frame" and "fit frame" options.

• 8. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                      chhc2304 Level 1

My first screen shot is what I see in InDesign while working, and the second when I click on "preview folio".  However, when I save the document in PDF, the color change is the same as the folio preview. 

• 9. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

Okay well, like I said, there isn't anything remarkably unusual about what is depicted in your screen shots. But since your workflow and objectives aren't entirely clear; I'm inclined to ask:

What is the intent of this document? Print? Digital Publishing?

What colors are used in the logo? RGB? CMYK? Spot?

• 10. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                          chhc2304 Level 1

Its meant for print.  It will be a pocket folder.  I did not create the logo, the logo was created in illustrator.  It's an .ai file.  Therefore I am not sure what what it was created under, but I have tried all of the recommendations on this thread and nothing has changed it so far.

In your previous message you said, "In any case, the difference you're seeing is very typical of on-screen simulated process-print output vs. pre-simulation RGB-borne viewing."  Could you please elaborate on this? 

• 11. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                            MW Design Level 4

What are you viewing the PDF in?

Doesn't look like Adobe Reader nor Acrobat. Try one or the other.

• 12. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see in InDesign while working, and the second when I click on "preview folio"...

Its meant for print.  It will be a pocket folder.

Preview Folio is for DPS projects not print—looks like your screen shot is from Adobe Content Viewer. When you export use the PDF/X-4 preset and also make sure your .ai logo colors and InDesign swatches are not spot colors unless you are planning on printing extra plates on press.

• 13. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                chhc2304 Level 1

Ok, there seems to be a lot of confusion and I keep on repeating myself due to there being a lot of posts on the page.  I hope this clarifies it for everyone, as I do really appreciate how you all are trying to help. 

1. I have tried all recommendations, and none of them helped

• Under Edit > set transparency blend space > RGB    
                                • Checked to see if there is transparency applied, and there is none applied.

2. This document is meant for print, it will be a pocket folder.  When I save the document in PDF format, ready for print, high quality, etc...the logo appearance changes in adobe reader.  The logo appears faded, but there is no transparency set to the image.  Hence, my confusion.  (as for screen shots of "preview folio" that I posted...the faded appearance is identical in preview folio as it is in Adobe Reader...I was just using that screenshot as the example of the appearance of my logo).  e i

3. The logo is an .ai file, which I did not design but was handed over to me when I started working for my mom. I do not have the Illustrator program, nor do I know how to use it.

4. I am having the same issue in the brochure that I have designed.  The logo is faded when I view it in the Adobe Reader, after it has been saved for a print > high quality > in pdf. 

5. I am not changing any image or object settings when I place this image in my documents.  I simply go to file>place and I select my logo. 

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE - and I am working in InDesign here

logo 1.png

THIS IS WHAT IT HAPPENING WHEN SAVED FOR PRINT IN PDF>HIGH QUALITY

logo 2..png

• 14. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

Again, there is nothing in your screenshots that suggests any sort of malfunction or even anything unusual. In the InDesign editing environment, you're viewing a preview of the logo (colors) that is comprised of RGB values. Since no one, yourself included, apparently, can account for the types of colors used in the logo, there isn't much else to say about the way it appears in InDesign. Also unknown is the New Document Profile under which this document was originally created. I do suspect it was "Digital Publishing" based on evidence contained earlier in the thread, (as opposed to 'Print,' which would have been the correct choice).

When you export to PDF, you are seeing simulated print output...different than what you are seeing in the InDesign editing environment. I'll say it again; this is neither unusual nor indicative of anything that needs fixing. Your logo does not look "faded." It looks like it will (roughly) when printed with process inks (which compared to an on-screen, RGB-composed view may be perceived as 'faded'). Unless you take meticulous steps to correctly implement real color management on your system, and calibrate your display accordingly to rightly simulate output, these perceived view discrepancies will persist. In a word, it is normal.

• 15. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

The High Quality preset doesn't allow any color conversions and includes all profiles. The dark purple does look like it's out-of-gamut, but not so far out that you would get the shift you are showing in the capture even if there were a CMYK simulation. How have you checked for transparency? What happens when you check via the Flattener Preview panels Highlight Transparent Objects? Are any of your swatches Spots?:

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 12.12.29 PM.png

• 16. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                      chhc2304 Level 1

To John:  My document was created for print, not digitial publishing.  Again, I only used the folio preview as an example but my question is not in regards to that preview mode.  I clarified myself very well in my previous post.  The issue is, that this logo has NEVER printed in this faded color.  All previous prints have come out as they appear in Adobe Reader, and this work was done by someone else but the pdf files where passed onto me. So this is where my fear comes in.  If I send this pdf out to be printed, but its printed version is this faded look then we are out of a lot of money.  This faded look is faded and not normal, none of our previous brochures, folders, or anything have this faded look.  That is why I am trying to figure out why it looks that way, because if it prints like that then it is wrong. 

To Rob: 

For transparency I have checked two ways:

1. under effects 
                                      2. under link info, which shows no transparency

I am not seeing a selection for "flattener preview" and when I click on the image, there is no color swatch to look at -that I know of- because it is linked to the document.  Can you please explain how to find this? 

I did check the "Overprint Preview", and the logo fades still.  Plus, there is a warning that pops up (probably standard warning): that overprint preview will only preview overprinting that involves spot colors.

Also, just to be sure, I have downloaded Adobe Illustrator to view the logo.  This is what it looks like in Illustrator.

logo_ai.png

• 17. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your logo is almost certainly on a transparent background since it doesn't knock out a rectangular shape. If it's turned on (and would be by default) you should see the transparency icon next to the page in the pages panel.

Overprint preview is the more accurate rendition of how your colors will print. In the screen shot above it is evident that all of your logo colors are spot colors, so it is vital that you have the correct output profile for conversion unless this is printed on a real printing press with real spot color inks.

• 18. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

there is no color swatch to look at -that I know of- because it is linked to the document.  Can you please explain how to find this?

Your .ai logo colors are set as spots—the little black dot in the corner of the swatch indicates that it is a spot:

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 4.01.52 PM.png

If you place a file with spot colors in ID the colors show in ID's Swatches panel Window>Color>Swatches. The icon with the circle indicates spots:

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 4.09.21 PM.png

Set your logo spot colors to process, if you double click one you'll get Swatch Options. You can set the Color Mode to RGB, but RGB colors can be outside of the CMYK gamut.

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 4.03.00 PM.png

Alternatively you can set all spot colors to process via InDesign's Ink Manger Swatches flyout menu>Ink Manager. In any case I'm guessing you don't intend to print this job with 6 extra plates so the spots have to get converted somewhere.

The Flattener Preview panel is under Window>Output. All it takes is one transparent item on the page to invoke transparency blending.

• 19. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

Can you share the logo via Dropbox or some other service?

• 20. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                              chhc2304 Level 1

Wow...thanks so much for all of your help.

1. The last screen shot I sent was in Illustrator and how the logo looked in there.  Yes, in there I am seeing that it is spots. 

2. When I am in InDesign, the no color is selected, but there are two spots at the bottom, and I switched those to process.  Still no change in preview mode. Can;t figure out where the "InDesign's Ink Manger Swatches flyout menu>Ink Manager"  is. 

1. Yes, I can share my logo via dropbox.  I have set up a folder to share I just need your information.

• 21. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

Yes, I can share my logo via dropbox.  I have set up a folder to share I just need your information.

You can share it without our info. Just upload the file then right click on its icon. Copy the address and post it:

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 6.05.29 PM.png

Also, show us a screen capture of your Swatches panel.

Ink Manger is here—many panels have menus that are accessed from the upper right corner:

ScreenSnapz001.png

• 22. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                                  MW Design Level 4

One thing I still am unclear about in this thread is whether this job is intended to be printed CMYK or will use the Pantone inks.

• 23. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                                    chhc2304 Level 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ycihshdfi2mgt2/connecting%20%20hearts%20logo.ai?dl=0http://

Thanks...When I get into ink manager the option to select process for the colors is not available.

This job is intended for print, we will send it to Vistaprint most likely, honestly I am simply not that skilled to which will be used nor what is the difference in printing.

Here is my color swatch.  

Screenshot 2014-08-29 09.46.32.pngScreenshot 2014-08-29 09.46.52.pngScreenshot 2014-08-29 09.46.58.png

• 24. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                                      MW Design Level 4

It looks to me like the actual colors used in the ID document are all RGB. The AI file uses Pantone colors. There will be a shift.

You would do better, I think, if the entire job was designed as RGB so the colors match (the AI logo is all Pantone). Art is easy to recolor in AI (under the Edit menu).

The screen shot below is of a RGB recolored AI logo, in ID using what I think is the same RGB background as at the bottom of the folder. Hard to see what swatch you are using. Much less what the gradient values are.

On the left is in ID, on the right is the resultant PDF/X-4 PDF. Vistaprint is going to print CMYK. There is going to be a color change, but if the art and the ID swatches are in agreement as to their color model (RGB, etc), then the shift is going to happen equally.

capture-001934.png

• 25. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                                        chhc2304 Level 1

Ok, I think I got it!!!  I went into the .ai, and I switched all the spot colors for process.  Then I resaved the logo, and that logo is not changing in the preview mode and when I save it to pdf     One more question though.  The pdf format I am saving it in is high quality, is that correct?  Or should I be using another one?  Also, I am selecting the "no cubic downsizing" options.

• 26. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

Do you intend to print this on uncoated paper, because the .ai swatches are Pantone Spots and the have the U suffix which indicates uncoated paper. The new versions of Indesign have more accurate display of Pantone spots and the U versions of the spots are being displayed muted which is what would happen if they were printed as spot colors on uncoated paper.

So here's the difference between Pantone U and Pantone C:

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 10.53.53 AM.png

Using spot colors is the problem if you convert them out of InDesign you will get muted colors because of the U swatches. So if you want the color you are seeing in AI, double-click the swatches and convert them to Process in AI.

• 27. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

You should check VistaPrint's specs. last time I checked they wanted all color to be the default US SWOP Coated CMYK.

• 28. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                                              chhc2304 Level 1

I did convert the spots to process, and I am no longer seeing the fade but they are still pantone u colors.    If Vistaprint wants coated cmyk, how can I convert the pantones to a "c"?

• 29. Re: Issues with my .ai logo
                                                                chhc2304 Level 1

Also, the pantone u colors have an "out of web color warning".

• 30. Re: Issues with my .ai logo

The .ai spots look like they are from the legacy Pantone libraries where there was no distinction between coated and uncoated previews. All you have to do is set the swatches to CMYK process.