3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 1:07 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Audio Clipping

I recorded an event, but left my camera on Manuel, now the audio is all clipping and a lot of hissing and screeching. How can I fix it?  

• 1. Re: Audio Clipping
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

I'm afraid that it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to do anything at all about this. A person who invented a way of un-distorting recorded audio would make an absolute fortune, but don't hold your breath; you are asking for a way of restoring something when there's no original reference to base it on, and that simply isn't going to happen. Please bear in mind that the sort of daft things like this that occur on CSI have no basis in reality at all - you can't bend the Laws of Physics like that.

Audition is good, but no software can perform miracles, and that's what you are asking for!

• 2. Re: Audio Clipping
            sainivideos@gmail.com Community Member

So is there any way to fix the audio a little bit

• 3. Re: Audio Clipping
              SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

sainivideos@gmail.com wrote:

So is there any way to fix the audio a little bit

Firstly I haven't heard it so I wouldn't have any idea of how bad it really is anyway, and secondly - see my previous reply! The whole point is that this type of distortion is essentially non-linear - hence the 'no reference points'. So there's nothing that can accurately be subtracted from what you've got to get it back to where it should be, because every millisecond of it's faulty in a different way. The idea of 'fix it a little bit' therefore doesn't exist - you'd either have something you could fix, or something you couldn't. And that's what you've got, I'm afraid - something you couldn't, because of its nature.

There are some circumstances in the digital domain where very small amounts of clipping can be restored - but that's only because the information about the slope rate of the signal either side of the overload is known and predictable. With preamp distortion (which is what you will have) the information is way less predictable, even in the short term, so no corrections for this can be made at all.