9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 9:29 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?

lilthea Community Member

Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?  If so, how?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?
          A.T. Romano Community Member

lilthea

What do you want to do with this"wire-framing"? Design a web page? With interactive links?

ATR

• 2. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?
            lilthea Community Member

I filmed a dance performance and, out of necessity, (I was one of the dancers) I had to do only long shot filming.  I just set the camera, turned it on, and let it run until the show was over.  Someone who is more knowledgeable than I about video editing said I could do wire-framing for some of the solos.  This is all new to me.  I usually have one long shot camera going and one for close-ups and edit accordingly.

I put together the DVD, but the director of the show heard the woman mention wire-framing and is now hot for me to go through the video and wire-frame where possible. Blarrrggghhh!!! (pardon my response).  As I also don't want to hand off my video to someone else to edit, which was a suggestion made by the director, I wanted to see if there was a way for me to do it. And, frankly, I really don't know what wire-framing is.</rant>

Thanks for listening, lol.

• 3. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?
              John T Smith CommunityMVP

The only "wire framing" I've ever seen mentioned was in a documentary about animation company PIXAR, which showed the "before flesh was added" wire frame figures that were later rendered into the movie characters

I just check the user guide PDF for Premiere Pro CS6 and do not find any mention of wire framing... so seriously doubt it can be done in Premiere Elements

• 4. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?

lilthea

Wire framing that I have run into typically references the basic (grid line) setting up components on a web page (maybe even a video frame).

But in the context that you are presenting, I am not sure. It almost sounds to me like these people want you to edit the video, using cropping and zooming in techniques, maybe going from a group performance video view to isolating a particular performer in the group from time to time as the video progresses. You can do that in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, provided the footage holds up to any zoom in under the existing lighting conditions.

Have you done any work with keyframing of Motion Scale or Motion Position properties in order to vary these properties with time across the video?

See if you can find out from this director or one of his/her close associates what the suggestion really involves. If what you recorded is one continuous long shot of the total performance, my possible interpretation may be right.

Please let us know how we can help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?
                  lilthea Community Member

I have not done any work with keyframing or Motion Position.  The director knows nothing about filming or editing.  She is a choreographer and this was a dance performance that she put together.  The woman who mentioned wire-framing works at a public access television station and knows a great deal more about filming and editing than I.  However, I don't know her and I wasn't thrilled with her offering to take my footage and edit it.  Of course, this was said within the hearing of the director.  I have since talked to the woman and the compromise is that she will show me what she means and I will do whatever extra editing this may require.

As to the lighting, it was dreadful and I am not sure how zooming in will look.

Thanks for your response.

L

• 6. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?

lilthea

Keep watch for what is in the best interests for you and your video recording.The person from the Public Access Television Station may be of great assistance but I would try first for her comments about how she would edit the footage. But, sometimes the decisions on the edits may come with the hands on and creativity of the moment.

But see if you can get some firm ideas on what the choreographer and the public access television station person have in mind for your video. It might be something that you could do yourself.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?

John

Consider

The talk of wireframe mode is alive in well in Premiere Pro even in Premiere CS6

http://creativeclouduser.com/looking-for-a-wireframe-mode-in-premiere-pro-try-the-transfor m-button/

where it seems to target the preview window bounding box, scaling, and repositioning etc.

Other Premiere CS6 references exists to this point of view, but since this is a Premiere Elements question.....

So in that context, there should be no problem going to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded to find comparable features.

But I am not completely sure what lilthea's associates have envisioned for this "long shot" recorded video.

Right now I am favoring my interpretation of the associates "wire framing" as described in a prior post in this thread.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?
                        lilthea Community Member

Well, I found out all about wire framing.  I went to the public access station and saw their "state of the art" equipment and software.  Wire framing is a very elaborate process of selecting the portion to blow up and repositioning it. I was told it was a very special feature of this particular software (Final Cut).  Guess what?  I was able to do the very same thing by clicking on the video clip in the workspace window, grab the corner and resize it and center it the way I wanted.  Took less than half the time, with fewer steps.  I looked at my result and the result from the "special feature" and I couldn't see any difference.

However, you were correct when you cautioned about zooming in and losing quality. When I zoomed in too much, it became blurred. The whole reason for all of this was because of a window that should have been covered prior to the performance.  There is a lot of annoying light from the window and the director wanted to cut it out.  Unfortunately, by cutting out the window, some of the dancers were cut out as well.  I haven't shown her the finished product yet, but I left some of the window in some of the clips in order to keep all the dancers.

Again, thank you for all your help.

L

• 9. Re: Can you do wire-framing with Adobe Premiere Elements 8?

L

If anyone questions the window and light, just tell them it is a creative effect intended or otherwise.

In the movies that one sees in the way of lighting, lots of "creative effects".

Lots of possibilities but all dependent on the footage...

If possible start with the scene with the window/light/full group of dancers and then with a bit of Scale keyframing  zoom in, cutting out the window and some of the dancers that were already just seen, then going on to the next scene.

Wondering if a Dissolve/Dip to White transition (End at Cut alignment) would help to create a special effect for a cut section with regard to that window/light?

But, you are the artist in this one and you have a good eye for detail.

Best wishes

ATR