4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 7:07 PM by A.T. Romano

Something that eats up all my memory? (or hard drive space?)

lilthea Level 1

Hi,

Someone told me that there is something in Adobe Premiere Elements that I need to turn off as it eats up memory unnecessarily.  Is this true?  If so, what do I need to turn off.  All i know is that my laptop is full and I don't believe I have that much on it and I have a hard drive with a 250 GB capacity.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Something that eats up all my memory?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lilthea

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running on?

If Windows and you have Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 on anything other than Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, then you are running these programs as 32 bit applications in a 32 bit system all of which has its resource limitations. You can improve that situation by running Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 specifically in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. In this case, the programs will be running as 64 bit applications which can take advantage of the 64 bit resources.

You probably do not mean a turn on or off. But, there are files that the project automatically generates in its project activities, namely, preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files. These types of files should be pointed to an external hard drive if possible, but one with enough free hard drive space for them. You can manage them by monitoring their level, clearing them out when piling up and affecting performance.

Do you have any clear recollection about what you were cautioned about with regard to this turn on turn off?

If you have a program such as Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, you definitely want to turn off the automatic background rendering and AutoAnalzyer features.

Give us more details so that we can fine tune (customize) a reply to give you the answer that applies to your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Something that eats up all my memory? (or hard drive space?)
            A.T. Romano Level 7

lithea

I just figured out what your turn on off referred to when I ran into your Premiere Elements 8 wireframing question.

In Premiere Element 8.0/8.0.1, the Automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features are major grabbers of computer resources.

The Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update was supposed to take care of the Automatic Background Rendering part, by disabling its default status.

The AutoAnalzyer part you had to take care of yourself.

1. Automatic Background Rendering.

Go to Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Timeline workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure there is no check mark next to the

option about Background Rendering.

(If you have not download and installed the 8.0.1 Update, please do so. See Help Menu/Update. If that does not work, then use the 8.0.1 download

from Adobe Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 update

once installed this will be no "8.0.1" seen.

2. AutoAnalzyer

In the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace, click on the Organizer Tab in the row below the active Organizer header to open the Elements Organizer workspace. In the Elements Organizer workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options, and turn off every option under that category.

To get back to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Elements Organizer workspace, in the Elements Organizer workspace, click on File Menu/Exit.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Something that eats up all my memory? (or hard drive space?)
              lilthea Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  Sorry about not giving particulars, I was in a hurry to get to an appointment and I didn't take the time to ask correctly.  I do have the 8.1 update.  I will follow your instructions, thank you for being so thorough.  Is there a way to know what I can delete so that I can get rid of a good portion of the stuff in my hard drive?  I use the laptop primarily for video editing.  I have a copy of PE 8.1 on my old desktop computer that has Windows XP, and therefore is not connected to the Internet.  I do MOST of my editing on my desktop computer.  However, when it is time to work on the titles, I have to switch to the laptop.  All I have to do is whisper the word "title" when working on my desktop and PE 8.1 crashes.  For some reason, I can work with the titles on my laptop. which has Windows 7.

I appreciate your help.

L

• 4. Re: Something that eats up all my memory? (or hard drive space?)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

L

Thanks for the reply.

Major considerations.

1. Disable Automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer Options.

2. Keep the pile up of preview files to a minimum in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder even if it means having to

do some project Timeline rendering when and if need the best possible preview of what you are seeing when you play back the Timeline

content in the Edit area monitor.

By default that Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder is found (Windows 7 64 bit)

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/1 8.0

By default that Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder appeared to be found (Windows XP 32 bit)

Local Disk C/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0

You can clear out the conformed audio and conformed video from time to time...for conformed audio and conformed video see location in Edit Menu/Preferences/ Media Cache and Media respectively.

A ccleaner run through (regular cleaner most of the time, registry cleaner from time to time) would help.

CCleaner - Download

Any questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR